Laying water line with subsoiler?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have used a 100 hp with a single shank 2' deep. I made one pass to first break the ground then came back and pulled the pipe. I will depend on the ground you have.

Vibratory plows will pull easier with less horsepower than non-vibratory shanks. A vibratory plow for a 42" depth will require 75-130 horsepower. Not sure where you are located and what depth you are trying to achieve. Pipe size will also be a factor.
Bear

TennesseeTuxedo":2ktcz42e said:
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Is "mob grazing" anything like rotational grazing in small paddocks?

Basically, rotational grazing is about cattle. Mob Grazing is more pounds per acre and different species. Cattle, goats and pigs for instance. :wave:

They have a new product that has been out for 20 years but due to widespread use in the past few years the price has come in line with pvc (when you calculate quality). The product goes by the name of PEX. I installed some 2 years ago but where it came out of the slab in a shed for future use I jest clamped a bolt in it and forgot about it. It was done to 12 below here last winter and I was told it would handle the freezing just fine and it did. After using it and realizing how durable it was I would never use anything else. On the subsoiler I have one made up to install electric lines, the multiple trips are a must to prepare a trench. The issue is meetinig electrical codes which require electric lines to be a minimum of 18". After customers forgetting that you told them it was only going to be 12" deep I no longer use it for other people.
The beauty of the PEX is that it comes in rolls and the fittings just slide on and are designed to increase hold with increased pressure.
I also cut sections of it this summer and made drop tubes for the seed box on my MF grain drill. I just preheated it and slid it over the ferrule on the individual drops and as it cooled it conformed tight against the nipple and held tight. If I get a chance I will try to get a picture of it.

I keep a piece of pex in my truck that froze and busted to show people whenever they say the heard that freezing won't hurt it. gs

Pex is UV sensitive. Around here 3/4 inch Pex is as large as I can get. If the water lines have any real length to them the 3/4 inch is too small if you are watering more than a few cattle. I use the Pex as I tee off the main lines as feeder tube to the waters as that is where my lines are more likely to freeze. I also like the manner that I can "bend" the Pex to reduce the number of joints going to the livestock waterer. A trick Iearned years ago is to get a length of small diameter soft poly tubing and after heat sealing the ends of the poly tubing to insert the sealed tubing to the inside of the feeder pipe to the waterer. The feeder line may freeze but the small soft poly pipe with the trapped air inside will collapse and absorb the expansion and in most instance avoid bursting the supply line.

Any feedback on using black poly pipe? Sounds like it's no good but I'm wondering what problems you had and what you recommend instead. I hope to get pipe buried in the next week or so.

Latest posts