Latest results of a timed AI study

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":18uskmo8 said:
KNERSIE":18uskmo8 said:
Thanks that was pretty much what I wanted to hear. Did you inject Gnrh when you AI'd or just the few that didn't come into observed heat?

We start charting heat cycles a month or 2 before the start of our breeding season. Anything that we haven;t observed in heat by the end of the first 3 weeks of breeding season we;ll give the GnRH. Only happens once every few years. Never have given it when we bred.

I only gave GNRH to the 4 that I didn't observe coming into heat. Dun's method of heat detecting, and AI is probably the best as far as conception rates. If I didn't have an 8-5, that is the way I would do it. I had observed all of the mature cows in heat prior to the CIDRs, but don't chart it due to the synch program.

bandit80":2i2lyitn said:
If I didn't have an 8-5, that is the way I would do it.

half hour to 45 minutes twice a day is all we heat detect, it's not like it's a real big issue to find the time.
First light and dusk are usually when we do it.

dun":314goi3w said:
bandit80":314goi3w said:

half hour to 45 minutes twice a day is all we heat detect, it's not like it's a real big issue to find the time.

I always thought that I needed to heat detect 3-4 times/day, at least a half hour each time. I will keep that in mind for next year. My other problem is breeding season coincides with corn/bean planting, and then haying toward the end of the breeding season. With my job, there is only so much time.....

bandit80":2ywwpgnz said:
dun":2ywwpgnz said:
bandit80":2ywwpgnz said:

I always thought that I needed to heat detect 3-4 times/day, at least a half hour each time. I will keep that in mind for next year. My other problem is breeding season coincides with corn/bean planting, and then haying toward the end of the breeding season. With my job, there is only so much time.....

PLanting/harvesting throws a monkey wrench in the works, that for sure. Usually we're haying during breeding season, this year we're ahead on haying so it won;t be too bad for heat detection.

I'm going to be using CIDRs and lut and heat detect this year. I understand you can lut on the day you remove the CIDR or the day before. I plan on CIDR for 7 days and Lut on removal then heat detect.

I've not had good look with double lut timed AI so I'm trying this.

angus9259":1qckbzg3 said:
I'm going to be using CIDRs and lut and heat detect this year. I understand you can lut on the day you remove the CIDR or the day before. I plan on CIDR for 7 days and Lut on removal then heat detect.

I've not had good look with double lut timed AI so I'm trying this.

I would give the lutalyse same day I pull the CIDR. One less time through the chute.

CIDRS in = 1 time through the chute
Pull CIDR out and lutalyse = 1 more time through the chute
AI = 1 more time through the chute.

You are already at 3 times, and I gave my spring vaccinations a few days after AI, which made a fourth. All in a period of about 14 days. The less I run them through the better. Course it might be different if I had one of them nice sweep tubs, alleyways, etc. Maybe some day.....

I would give the lutalyse same day I pull the CIDR. One less time through the chute.

If you had gentle cows you dont need them in a chute to pull a cidr:) It is safer though.

Knersie We used the co synch this year bred those coming in early ABS tech thought maybe 10% would come in early no had over 33 percent in one group of fifty come in early and and 14 percent come in early on the next group a week later. I was busy pen breeding those early ones from group one. It was a circus had two different bulls there and trying to keep everyone happy and in their pens and making sure all got bred. Will preg them next month after harvest.

I know this has been studied but it hard for me to watch a cow come in after bred and given GnRh and not rebreed her but I am going to trust the science.

Jeff

In the middle of CIDR using timed AI right now. This is our guy's protocol.

Day 0 - CIDR In/lut shot
Day 7 - CIDR Out/lut shot (7 a.m.)
Day 8 - Estridial shot (12:00 pm)
Day 9 - Breed @ 12:00 pm

This is a little different than my buddy used last year. He was 4 out of 6 on his method (67%). He was 3 out of 5 w/ the heifers and 1 for 1 on the cow. Anybody used the method above?

Dun,
I have a couple of questions for you regarding heat detection and AI. I am pretty much a novice at AI but have read many of your posts on the subject. Last year was our first year AI and we used CIDRs and lutalyse. We ended up with about 50% conception with a single AI. I attributed this poor showing to my inexperience as I had only taken the course about 1 week prior to starting breeding.

This year after reading some of your posts, we decided to just detect natural heats and breed on those. We have done ok so far, but have about 10 head that we haven't seen in heat (now 29 days). My question is what would you do with these? We gave them a shot of lutalyse yesterday thinking that our heat detection probably let us down. Would you have given GnRH instead and if so would you follow that with lutalyse at some point?

In regards to heat detection, you say you only check heat at dawn and dusk. Do you think you miss many this way? Do you worry about breeding a cow that came in at 8 am at 6 the next morning? We currently try to check at 6 am, noon and dusk. I usually breed those standing at noon that evening. Do you have any recommendations in this regard? We are all for cutting back on the heat detection if it is just as effective.

Thanks for any answers.

gberry":2omyqdo5 said:
We have done ok so far, but have about 10 head that we haven't seen in heat (now 29 days). My question is what would you do with these? We gave them a shot of lutalyse yesterday thinking that our heat detection probably let us down. Would you have given GnRH instead and if so would you follow that with lutalyse at some point?

After 21-22 days without detecting heat we give a shot of GnRH follwoed 7 days later by lut. Noy necesarrilly the right way but it works for us.

In regards to heat detection, you say you only check heat at dawn and dusk. Do you think you miss many this way? Do you worry about breeding a cow that came in at 8 am at 6 the next morning? We currently try to check at 6 am, noon and dusk. I usually breed those standing at noon that evening. Do you have any recommendations in this regard? We are all for cutting back on the heat detection if it is just as effective.

Thanks for any answers.
We follow the AM PM rule, standing in the AM breed in the PM and vice versa.

dun":2emobxlj said:
After 21-22 days without detecting heat we give a shot of GnRH follwoed 7 days later by lut. Noy necesarrilly the right way but it works for us.

I have a few cows I need to get finished up this year and was going to do what you metion above but put in cidr's with the gnrh and pull in seven days and give lut.Do you think it would be benifical to put the cidr's in or a waste of money? From what I understand these cows should come in heat from day 7 to 13 and we will still bred on observed heats is this the correct protocol in your opinion?
THANKS

EAT BEEF":31r750nr said:
dun":31r750nr said:

I have a few cows I need to get finished up this year and was going to do what you metion above but put in cidr's with the gnrh and pull in seven days and give lut.Do you think it would be benifical to put the cidr's in or a waste of money? From what I understand these cows should come in heat from day 7 to 13 and we will still bred on observed heats is this the correct protocol in your opinion?
THANKS

We've only tried CIDRS on 2 cows we were trying to move up a month or so. Had np results so won;t use them again. I have no idea what would be the correct protocol.

Latest posts