lard, head cheese,and pickled pigs feet

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
I am getting 6 pigs slaughtered next week and think I may be leaving some money on the table. I usualy just get the meat but I am planning on getting the lard this time. I think I can sell it to the amish and maybe some heads for head cheese and perhaps some feet for pickling. Does anyone have an idea what lard would sell at? Any ideas on anything else I could sell off these hogs?

auctionboy, go ask at a Mexican restaurant how nuch they pay for hog lard. They buy it by the 5 gallon bucket to fry stuff in. Anyway, if you boil out the lard you'll be left with some cracklins from which a real fine bread known as cracklin bread can be made. Being somewhat greasy, no butter is needed for cracklin bread. Cracklin bread goes real well with turnip greens. Or Lima beans.

ga. prime":27f0tzkl said:
auctionboy, go ask at a Mexican restaurant how nuch they pay for hog lard. They buy it by the 5 gallon bucket to fry stuff in. Anyway, if you boil out the lard you'll be left with some cracklins from which a real fine bread known as cracklin bread can be made. Being somewhat greasy, no butter is needed for cracklin bread. Cracklin bread goes real well with turnip greens. Or Lima beans.

Yes, get you some tamales made from that head meat. Good stuff! I'm hungry already!

we use the lard when we grind up our other meats, i.e. hamburger and sausage. we'll be bringing home the suet after we butcher the pigs next week. when we cut up our elk next month (after we get them :D) we'll use it.

If you save the head, I'll send you a recipe I guarantee you will love at your next stump burning party. :lol:

ga. prime":d0gnbkq0 said:

Looks like auction boy is from NY, don't know if they have cracklin bread. To clarify, at least in Ky/TN, Cracklin bread is not bread, but cornbread. Definitely goes well with turnip greens! and black-eyed peas, sweet potatos, fried okra......

usernametaken":3udqxxka said:
ga. prime":3udqxxka said:

Looks like auction boy is from NY, don't know if they have cracklin bread. To clarify, at least in Ky/TN, Cracklin bread is not bread, but cornbread. Definitely goes well with turnip greens! and black-eyed peas, sweet potatos, fried okra......
Right you are usernametaken! Made with cornmeal and water. Baked in a pan like raisinbread. As an added bonus, cracklin bread has been conclusively shown to supply a significant quantity of saturated fat, an essential dietary nutrient. :lol:

Looks like auction boy is from NY said:
Right you are usernametaken! Made with cornmeal and water. Baked in a pan like raisinbread. As an added bonus, cracklin bread has been conclusively shown to supply a significant quantity of saturated fat, an essential dietary nutrient. :lol:

Don't know how you do raisinbread. Actually I'm not sure they know about cracklin cornbread in KY either - at least I've never seen it here. They do some sort of pancake thing and call it cornbread. I didn't even recognize it as cornbread when I moved here. Thought it was a potato pancake. Definitely a W TN staple though. We use hot black iron skillet ( a necessary iron supplement), bottom coated with highly saturated fat similar to the cracklins ( necessary for energy after too much sweatin) making the bottom nice and crispy. You can eat at my house anytime, GA Prime !

I sometimes buy fresh pork fat when making deer sausage. It runs about $0.35/lb.

Spicey head cheese and scrambled eggs. You gotta run backwards while eating them or you'll swallow your tongue! :p

We do not make these delicacies. Most people I sell pigs to take only the main cuts. I am still looking for something to do with beef hearts, tongue, and liver that I can't sell. Will most of my fat be made into sausage? I always get sausage, but thought there was #30 additional pounds of lard on a #220 hog? I would rather it just go into sausage. now I'm on the fence.

The lard I've seen was pretty cheap, around $2.00/gallon from the places that make a lot of cracklins.

Yes and you can use the small intestines for the sausage casings and the large intestine for chitterlings. Auction boy will not understand black eyed peas. The people from the north only eat beans and not peas. They consider peas to be animal feed.

auctionboy":vqgk6qi9 said:
We do not make these delicacies. Most people I sell pigs to take only the main cuts. I am still looking for something to do with beef hearts, tongue, and liver that I can't sell. Will most of my fat be made into sausage? I always get sausage, but thought there was #30 additional pounds of lard on a #220 hog? I would rather it just go into sausage. now I'm on the fence.

Those 3 items can be included in the sausage. They make up such a small percentage that it doesn;t affect the flavor.

hurleyjd":2syyqrq5 said:
Yes and you can use the small intestines for the sausage casings and the large intestine for chitterlings. Auction boy will not understand black eyed peas. The people from the north only eat beans and not peas. They consider peas to be animal feed.

Hoppin John and I do not understand about using peas for livestock feed either ! Neither will that lady from the cooking shows in Savannah.

I only recently became educated to the fact of feeding peas to cows. I'd sure rather let the cows eat the beans than the peas.
What will happen to people on New Years without black-eyed peas ?

Latest posts