Ladino & Crimson Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

That is a big question. Normally white clovers like Ladino are planted in pastures and red clover in hay fields. Crimson is a winter annual normally planted with winter grains. I could see crimson in the first year of a newly seeded pasture, but it will not last very long and i would prefer a longer lasting type.

This article is a great summary of when each type works best:

http://www.aces.edu/dept/forages/clover ... elines.pdf

Douglas":3ihd7syg said:
That is a big question. Normally white clovers like Ladino are planted in pastures and red clover in hay fields. Crimson is a winter annual normally planted with winter grains. I could see crimson in the first year of a newly seeded pasture, but it will not last very long and i would prefer a longer lasting type.

I appreciate you sharing that article I like it. I am thinking of making a 5 acre clover field and may just leave it all ladino. I thought about mixing in the crimson or possibly another clover. What mixture would you suggest or should I just leave it straight Ladino? I may mix Ladino and Red clover there both perennials.

skyhightree1":27j4spu9 said:
Douglas":27j4spu9 said:

I appreciate you sharing that article I like it. I am thinking of making a 5 acre clover field and may just leave it all ladino. I thought about mixing in the crimson or possibly another clover. What mixture would you suggest or should I just leave it straight Ladino? I may mix Ladino and Red clover there both perennials.
Are you going to hay it, graze it, make it a wildlife foodplot?

dun":3rakewx2 said:
skyhightree1":3rakewx2 said:
Douglas":3rakewx2 said:

Are you going to hay it, graze it, make it a wildlife foodplot?

Honestly, I would like it to fit all 3 bills but more so graze it and hay it. What do you think about that Dun?

skyhightree1":12nhdk70 said:
Douglas":12nhdk70 said:

The problem everyone has is that clover and grass compete against one another. What is good for grass is bad for clover and vice versa. If you have clover/grass combo it requries management to keep the grass from getting too high and crowing out the clover or to low and the clover taking over. If you are trying to produce a lot of hay, forget clover as the tall grass will shade it if pushed by nitrogen fertilizer.
We need to know what you are trying to accomplish and what type soils you have to give you a better explination.

thanks for the link. I am probably planning on using to graze mostly. I just planted 5 acres of ladino and kentucky 31 for a grazing pasture and I will see how that turns out in the spring. I basically wanted a mixed grazing pasture of grass and clover and one of just clover in which i could alternate the cattle.

skyhightree1":2ixp91je said:
thanks for the link. I am probably planning on using to graze mostly. I just planted 5 acres of ladino and kentucky 31 for a grazing pasture and I will see how that turns out in the spring. I basically wanted a mixed grazing pasture of grass and clover and one of just clover in which i could alternate the cattle.

Be careful with bloat on the pure clover stand.

Douglas":18uyj3uv said:
skyhightree1":18uyj3uv said:

Be careful with bloat on the pure clover stand.

Maybe I will just leave it for a hay field and or game plot.

Most of our pastures have several different legume species (alsike clover, red clover, white clover, alfalfa, black medic, birdsfoot trefoil). Manage the grazing and you can maintain almost any mixture you want. You just need to understand how different species react at different times of the year.

I was just on a farm in South Carolina last week that has been using MiG for a few years and they had fescue and bermudagrass mixed along with white clover, red clover, and purple vetch. I think they also have some arrowleaf and/or crimson clover in some of the paddocks. When I was there about four years ago just as they were starting the MiG there was hardly any clover to be found anywhere on the farm. They are also using Durana white clover. It seems to be a very good variety for that part of the world.

I'm not crazy aqbout the alfalfa part but KY31 and Ladino and red clover works great

I deleted the post with alfalfa on accident wasnt paying attention but i asked if anyone thought about adding alfalfa kentucky 31 and ladino and red clover was good idea. I am thinking of basically having 4 pastures with various mixes to see how it works and see if cattle prefer a certain mix over another.

Nothing wrong with complex seed mixtures to generate lots of tons per acre. Seed cost, soil type, stand life, and harvest method are the foundational questions.

I have heavy soil and the kids won't pick many rocks now so I put 1 to 1.5 lbs/acre ladino clover in everything. I have seeded it with Kura, Red, BFT, alfalfa, meadow fescue, tall fescue, reed canary... If I cann't graze it, then I try to have the neighbor make a little balage since white clover is a bitch to dry.

Alfalfa is a very good idea on fertile but droughty soil. Otherwise - - I think it costs way too much to establish with today' input costs. Don't ask me how I know.

Red clover can be too aggressive in a new stand but it frost seeds well. I now leave RC out of the original mix but over seed with it when the alfalfa starts to thin out.

thanks stocker one new stand im planting is gonna have kentucky 31 ladino red clover and maybe lil bit of alfalfa in it im gonna do a 5 acre tract like that and see how it goes.

Not a huge red clover fan, though I guess if I were doing hay, I'd probably want some in the mix; it just doesn't last very long. White/ladino clover is a must in my pastures - I've been really pleased with Kopu II and Alice varieties; Will and Seminole have performed reasonably well, too. 'Synergy' is a newer selection that's supposed to grow taller and may be desirable as a component in hayfields and wildlife food plots, as well as in pastures. Missouri Southern Seeds carries both Synergy and Kopu II, as well as other good forage varieties:
http://www.missourisouthernseed.com/pag ... p?id=19572
Annual lespedeza (Kobe, Korean, Marion) has been a life-saver here on more than one occasion when we've had hot droughty summers, and they work nicely on droughtier, upland soils on the farm here that tend to have pH lower than the clovers really like.
Tried one 25# bag of birdsfoot trefoil one time, but it just never 'caught' - probably MY fault; it looks intriguing to me, but I'm not certain it'll work here.

Drilled about 25 acres of crimson clover & ryegrass into a thin stand of fescue/orchardgrass on a hillside field in fall 2008; guess it did OK, but the Kopu II really came back like gangbusters through the cool wet spring/summer/fall of 2009; don't really know now, how much, if any re-seeding of the crimson clover occurred; guess I'll find out this spring.

Latest posts