laboured breathing

Help Support CattleToday:

jbfarms011

Reaction score
Ive got a calf that has started some heavy breathing, yesterday he was ok, I gave him a dose of LA200 tonight is there anything else I should give him?, have Micotil but lost the directions to it and have some pennicillian available. He is eating and drinking normal and frisky at times which is throwing me off a little, but Im afraid he will get worse.

Yep just insert in back just like a baby. :shock:
If the temp is up my bet is pneumonia
If not coudl be alergies anything, temp is always a good place to start.
103.5 is normal.

okay you have a small and i say small window of opportunity here. To treat with no lung damage causing a chronic case.
Tomorrow could, and I say could be to late for full recovery if it is breathing hard. He has pnemonia more than likely. Just my opinion for what it is worth. Vet a good thing to call about now.
Micotil is good
nuflor is good
either one add either anafin, predef or banamine. They are anti inflamatories.
Now would be a good time to do it...if it is safe.
Keep one of these items on hand for emergencies.

atleast he got the LA200, might not be good enough though.

Vicky the vet":1svx7vm3 said:
redfornow":1svx7vm3 said:
103.5 is normal.

Umm....no, 101.5 is normal. In calves, I don't worry until 102.5 though, especially in summer.

Just my 2 cents...
Amen Vicky,If I have a calf with "symptoms" I will treat anything over 102.5.Be very careful with micotil it is deadly in humans.How do you lose the directions? They are glued to the bottle.

Larry

Vicky the vet":4gdk1lns said:
redfornow":4gdk1lns said:
103.5 is normal.

Umm....no, 101.5 is normal. In calves, I don't worry until 102.5 though, especially in summer.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks vicki,
Typo on my part, just got in from hay fields and was trying to type with one hand an eat with another. :shock:
Doing that righ now again.

by the way 45 acres got 16 5X6 bales and i am proud of every one of em....
Bad hay year here in ky.

I called the vet, this vet has been around for many years in our area but he dosent deal with large animals any more, he's just getting to old. He recomended Pennicillin at 12cc, I ask him if he had an anti-inflamitory available that I could buy and he said no but the P should be enough. Yesterday I gave the calf a dose of Micotin and Pennicillin and he is breathing much better today, still going to call another vet but have a feeling Im going to be getting conflicting advice. no anti-inflamitory available here except through a vet.

mycotil, I was told by vet was 1CC per 100lbs. Also IT IS FATAL TO HUMANS!!! [/b][/u] I cant afford to call vet for this, unless its very, very sick. LA 200 was good place to start, but the MYCOTIL is by far better.

3rdgeneration farmer":19uf9fxn said:
mycotil, I was told by vet was 1CC per 100lbs. Also IT IS FATAL TO HUMANS!!!

Well, unless they've changed the bottle and dosage a whole lot in the past few minutes, the dose is 1.5 cc / 100 lbs, given SQ. In calves less than 150 lbs, the dose is doubled. Read the label!!!

Latest posts