4 day old calf rapid breathing lazy

Help Support CattleToday:

TXMike

Reaction score
Found a new calf on Wednesday and all seemed well. I assumed he was born on Tuesday because he was clean and didn't see any sack hanging off momma. It did lay off in the brush mostly but I did see it walk around some and saw what looked to be him nursing. I checked on him Friday and he was still laying around but I wanted to let him be.

I went out today and he was still laying in the brush so I went over to him and he got up but he looked disoriented like he still hadn't got walking down yet and moved pretty slow. He was breathing very fast short breaths and layed back down. It looks like he has nursed since the quarter on mommas bag are uneven but he looks very skinny. It's pretty overcast with a breeze so I wouldn't think he's overheated. His umbilical cord is there and still meaty and juicy looking so maybe he was born late Wednesday right before I found him. His nose is clean he did have some bubbles around his mouth I couldn't tell if it was milk or just saliva.

I don't want to intervene if there's nothing wrong but I don't want to wait to long and lose a calf either.is there anything I should do or look for?

Probably the heat and humidity. My go to for any calf without an elevated temperature is a shot of BoSe, a little banamine, and a little Dex. I've had more success with Dex than any other drug I've ever used. BoSe is a close second. My calves all get a shot of vitamin A&D and BoSe at birth. The A&D wouldn't be a bad idea either. Definitely won't hurt him.

Very skinny is a calf not drinking enough or not drinking at all... I would take his temp and offer a bottle for starters...

Ok so first thing today I went and picked up some electrolyte mix and tried to bottle feed him with no luck.... he was moving around alot better today and actually took a little bit to catch him. I got him in the leg lock and gave him the bottle and he would suckle a little bit and give up. I tried a couple times but he just wouldn't suck it down. His short rapid breathing was still there and I noticed a small amount of clear liquid in his nose which got worse as I tried to feed him so I gave up. I thought it might have been the electrolyte mix but I'm not sure ill check on him tomorrow and see if it's still there.

I'm thinking your right on not enough milk. I watched him try and nurse and he definitely wasn't as enthusiastic as most calves. Most get into it and when it starts going dry they start headbutting the utters. He would suck for a couple seconds till it looked like he was out of breath and then acted like he had trouble finding the teat again.

He was doing alot better. Today was much cooler and he moved around alot. Not as much as I'd like for a 5 day old calf and definitely not as fast. Hopefully I didn't stress him to much trying to get him to take the electrolytes.

I might be off work tomorrow if i work all night tonight and try and take him to the vet. I hate to spend the money but a calf that dies is money lost.

Is he getting anything when he nurses, mom could have mastitis.check temp is navel swelled they go down fast if dehydrated, sounds like respiratory. If not sure get them
(mom too) to the vet.i always had a good vet if I hauled it saved me alot, I only had him out if I could not get them up. When I didn't have very many I didn't have to waste money buying a whole bottle to treat one cow twice. My vet would treat them and give the extra dose to treat them a couple more times.

Got em both to the vet today. Calf was doing alot better but had more drainage today but was alot more active. Still could catch him in open pasture and load him in the trailer which isn't a good sign. Momma was a different story loaded her by myself and I bet she kicked me 10 timed and fought me the whole time..... I said I'd never use a hot shot since it riles em up so bad but today I was thinking about getting one she had me so frustrated...

Momma went through first and her temp was just under 104 but vet said that's not to high since she was all riled up. Checked teats and milk and everything checked out good.

Calf was around 105 temp heart beat was higher but she said normal for a calf. I was thinking pneumonia after the nasal drainage and rapid breathing. Vet checked lungs and said they sounded scratchy and agreed pneumonia. Gave him some exceed and dex. Said if he's not better by friday come back and we'll give him another round or I can come and she'll give it to me to take home to him. I will probably just bring him back if he's still easy to catch since she said to give it at the base of the ear to lower withdraw times. Cost me $111..... hope this dude makes it because he's already costing me to much money and momma was way late dropping a calf this year so they'll both get shipped if he recovers.

Vet was real nice and I can be frustrating to deal with because I'm a question machine and ask if I can do things so I'll be able to check myself next time. She said if I had to bring him back it'd only be like $25 so I can't complain there.

TXMike":mdizqqpv said:
Got em both to the vet today. Calf was doing alot better but had more drainage today but was alot more active. Still could catch him in open pasture and load him in the trailer which isn't a good sign. Momma was a different story loaded her by myself and I bet she kicked me 10 timed and fought me the whole time..... I said I'd never use a hot shot since it riles em up so bad but today I was thinking about getting one she had me so frustrated...

Momma went through first and her temp was just under 104 but vet said that's not to high since she was all riled up. Checked teats and milk and everything checked out good.

Calf was around 105 temp heart beat was higher but she said normal for a calf. I was thinking pneumonia after the nasal drainage and rapid breathing. Vet checked lungs and said they sounded scratchy and agreed pneumonia. Gave him some exceed and dex. Said if he's not better by friday come back and we'll give him another round or I can come and she'll give it to me to take home to him. I will probably just bring him back if he's still easy to catch since she said to give it at the base of the ear to lower withdraw times. Cost me $111..... hope this dude makes it because he's already costing me to much money and momma was way late dropping a calf this year so they'll both get shipped if he recovers.

Vet was real nice and I can be frustrating to deal with because I'm a question machine and ask if I can do things so I'll be able to check myself next time. She said if I had to bring him back it'd only be like $25 so I can't complain there.

I would have rather sent that $ on restflor or nuflor and had the bottle at my disposal . If I were you id buy my own drugs to have to treat them. With the prices the way they are a vet can gobble those up quick. Not that theres anything wrong with using a vet but I am my own vet for the most part simply cause there not many around here. Glad it seems to be working out

I agree. I just didn't wanna treat him for something that wasn't there. The price would have been better if I hadn't brought the momma it was $40 to check her out and say she was fine but at least I know and now I can do it myself next time. Sucks spending the money but I guess the learning is part of what I paid for.

At first I tried to buy my own meds but the last 2 times I've bought some I use a couple doses and it sat in the fridge till it expired. Seems like everything recommended requires a prescription to. My local feed stores don't have a big selection and Valley vet says dex requires a script.

TXMike":33n6cdyq said:
I agree. I just didn't wanna treat him for something that wasn't there. The price would have been better if I hadn't brought the momma it was $40 to check her out and say she was fine but at least I know and now I can do it myself next time. Sucks spending the money but I guess the learning is part of what I paid for.

At first I tried to buy my own meds but the last 2 times I've bought some I use a couple doses and it sat in the fridge till it expired.

Having a vet that you can call and ask questions is worth whatever they charge when you need them. I hire our vet to help us work cows, we he can. Having a good working relationship with your veterinarian is priceless.

TXMike":2vb63l1u said:
. My local feed stores don't have a big selection and Valley vet says dex requires a script.

Yes the good drugs require a rx but my vet is also a cattle producer and understands if I ask him for something I can buy it from him and its no huge mark up. Have you ever asked your vet for a RX to the good stuff ? Once they see your legit he shouldn't have an issue with it. I can call my vet anytime and he walks me through the things he would do and gives suggestions and will come if a great need but mostly I handle it all some under his advice most not.

The vet was pretty nice with me being a first time customer. She said that it would be better to buy the exceed by the shot since it's a small dose but if I wanted she would sell me a bottle of dex to keep at the house. I said I'd just buy the shot but looking at Valley vet there was a pretty big markup since she gave a very small dose of dex and charged the same price as Valley vet charges for a whole bottle.

I'll ask about scripts next time to see if she would be alright with me buying it from somewhere else. My impression of her was she wouldn't have a problem.

TXMike":p4shsi55 said:
The vet was pretty nice with me being a first time customer. She said that it would be better to buy the exceed by the shot since it's a small dose but if I wanted she would sell me a bottle of dex to keep at the house. I said I'd just buy the shot but looking at Valley vet there was a pretty big markup since she gave a very small dose of dex and charged the same price as Valley vet charges for a whole bottle.

I'll ask about scripts next time to see if she would be alright with me buying it from somewhere else. My impression of her was she wouldn't have a problem.

I posted about mine having pneumonia few weeks ago.. I knew when I could touch him and all that mucous and him breathing with raspy fluid In his lungs plus fever that's what it was. I hit him real hard with nuflor and in 4 days he was running and kicking like before.

True Grit Farms":1abrx4fq said:
TXMike":1abrx4fq said:

At first I tried to buy my own meds but the last 2 times I've bought some I use a couple doses and it sat in the fridge till it expired.

Having a vet that you can call and ask questions is worth whatever they charge when you need them. I hire our vet to help us work cows, we he can. Having a good working relationship with your veterinarian is priceless.

Absolutely! And a good relationship with your vet is necessary when the VFD kicks into effect in January.

Hopefully the calf pulls through. She said it was a good sign he would get up and move around and put up somewhat of a fight when I had ahold of him but that it's still not a sure thing he'll pull through.

I liked that the vet did say if he gets to a point where he doesn't want to get up and move around its better to just put him down than spend a bunch of money hoping he pulls through.

I've heard the old timers talk about in January you won't be able to buy penecillin without a prescription anymore. I know they aren't happy about it but I haven't read what all it will effect.

Well so far not much better....I went out there today and he was laid back under the tree. He got up and moved a couple times but not very far. He was still breathing rapidly and still had some discharge from his nose. When he was laid down his legs were flopped around instead of tucked under himself like a healthy calf would lay down. I guess its only been a day and a half since he got the dex and exceed, hopefully itll start working soon. It seems like the temperature greatly affects his mood. The days he seemed like he was doing better was a real cool overcast day and earlier in the morning. Today had little cloud cover and around 95.

When it finally got dark out he got up slowly walked over to momma and nursed like crazy. I couldn't seem him that we'll but I could hear the sucking and he was there a while.
He's not even a week old but im wondering if with this heat I should try and bottle feed him the water and electrolyte mix again or if because he's nursing and got the antibiotics the milk will have all he needs for hydration?

Most of the newborn calves I've watched don't go to the water trough until they are a couple weeks old. He doesn't move from under the shade trees so I'm sure he hasn't made a trip to the trough or pond.

I can't guarantee you he's gonna be ok but if he's eating that's a big positive. This heat affects them just like it does me and you. He's sick, stressed, and just doesn't feel good in general. I'd say just watch him. Trying to get him to suck some electrolytes from a bottle would be beneficial but likely would cause undue stress to the calf bc in my experience the transition from teat to bottle is a battle until the calf gets hungry, which in this case he probably isn't. Wish you luck with him.

Yea that's what I was thinking. Would the added liquids be worth the added stress?

When I got him before he would suck on the bottle but he would give out. If I do try again I'm gonna put a bigger hole in it and see if that helps him at all. I just wasn't sure if the milk would keep him hydrated.

TXMike":8vlh6273 said:
Yea that's what I was thinking. Would the added liquids be worth the added stress?

When I got him before he would suck on the bottle but he would give out. If I do try again I'm gonna put a bigger hole in it and see if that helps him at all. I just wasn't sure if the milk would keep him hydrated.

You could try it. He may jump right on it. If he fights you or resists you could just leave him be. I use Pedialyte. Which is for humans I know, but I've had good luck with it.

I mixed up some resorb this morning and went out there he looked alot better. His abdomen looked like he was breathing normally until I caught him and his nose didn't look like it had any discharge. He drank maybe a quarter of a quart then he just struggled so I let him go. I was hoping he'd at least drink a full quart and I'd feel better about it but I guess it is what it is. Hopefully he'll be alright this afternoon it's supposed to be pretty hot.

Latest posts