4 day old calf rapid breathing lazy

Help Support CattleToday:

Well the calf is going on 3 weeks old and he is still not where most Calfs are but he's eating and moving around every day. I never see him run or play around like a healthy calf. Ive gave him 2 rounds of exceed and dex a week apart would it hurt to give him one more round just to make sure I got it knocked out?

TXMike":1b9r343b said:
Well the calf is going on 3 weeks old and he is still not where most Calfs are but he's eating and moving around every day. I never see him run or play around like a healthy calf. Ive gave him 2 rounds of exceed and dex a week apart would it hurt to give him one more round just to make sure I got it knocked out?

It wouldn't hurt to give him another round, but by the sounds of it, that's not getting at what ails him. Perhaps he actually has something congenital like a heart defect. With as much antibiotic as that calf has in him I would think any bacterial issues would be pretty much wiped out.

According to what we have been told at 2 different meetings, with vets there to give the presentations, this VFD is for antibiotics and feed additives, not for injectibles. I questioned Corid, because of salmonella and they said no, it was not something that was mixed in feed. Seems like the biggest thing around here will be the aureomycin crumbles that we put in feed for animals that get the shipping fever symptoms, and rumensin in the mineral and in feed. The vets here are dreading all the paperwork, and most that see that you are a responsible farmer/rancher will not be difficult to deal with. BUT you have to have a working relationship with them, even if you try to not use a vet very often. It is not supposed to affect the injectible antibiotics like pennicillin that you can buy over the counter, or the oxytets etc. Anything that requires a rx now will still require an rx and things you can pick up at the co-op or feed store will still be available; except feed through drugs.
We keep dex, banamine, nuflor, baytril, penn, and others in the fridge. One of our vets told me not to panic over the expiration date as they often just lost some strength; granted they can't legally use them, but we have often bought near to expire bottles from the vet at a reduced cost so they didn't have to send them back or write them off. Sometimes we don't use hardly any, then other times we get hit with a bout of pnuemonia or something, and use a bunch.
Excede is high, but if you buy a bottle of dex, and only use a couple of shots, it's still cheaper if the cost of one shot is nearly the same as the bottle. Plus, it's there when you need it and don't have to make a trip. Often with a problem that I call the vet about, the first thing they will say, do you have any so & so..... so we try to keep some stuff around.

Latest posts