breathing changes after bottle feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Frostyfarmer

Reaction score
I have a 1 month old black angus calf that has had a rough start. Had navel ill which he got nuflor x2 for. Then the vet presumed he had joint ill and got draxxin for. He does have tendinitis (we are stretching him) and he walk very hunched up. He got triangle 5. Now when he takes his bottle he drinks about half and starts to breath hard. Won't take the rest of the bottle. One morning he wouldn't take the bottle at all. His temp is 102 and it was 75 and warm in the sun. The vet recommended he get banamine. He had a great day that next morning, first time we say him kick up his heels. NOW of course that has left his system. He doesn't have pneumonia. Any ideas. Thanks for any info.

I have never seen a bottle calf do near as well as on the cow.
Seems you can't put enough in one except to keep it alive.
That's what makes a nurse cow so valuable IMO.

Frostyfarmer said:
I have a 1 month old black angus calf that has had a rough start.
The vet presumed he had joint ill and got draxxin for it.
Now when he takes his bottle he drinks about half and starts to breath hard.
Won't take the rest of the bottle.
One morning he wouldn't take the bottle at all. His temp is 102 and it was 75 and warm in the sun.
The vet recommended he get banamine. He had a great day, that next morning was the
first time we saw him kick up his heels.
Thanks for any info.
Normal rectal temperature for calves is 101-103 (adult cattle 100-102.5)
75 and sunny in April sounds sweet to me.

It's possible the nipple opening is too large and with milk coming in too fast a small amount of milk
might be going down his windpipe and causing him pain. Most dairy farms teach their calves to
drink milk from a pail by 4-5 days of age. That might be something for you to do to help him out.

He received colostrum but the cow died. The kids do about 3 or 4 bums a year for their 4-H projects. Most of the calves do very well. They have gotten reserve champion with them several times. They are already on pellets and drinking water. This poor guy has us all stumped. If I stretch his neck and rub it when he eats he will get the bottle down sometimes. When he is done he breaths really fast and does not want to move around. I will try with a pail and see if that helps him. I was wondering if it had to do anything with the amount of shots he has gotten most of them have been in the neck. Thanks again everyone.

Frostyfarmer said:
He received colostrum but the cow died. The kids do about 3 or 4 bums a year for their 4-H projects. Most of the calves do very well. They have gotten reserve champion with them several times. They are already on pellets and drinking water. This poor guy has us all stumped. If I stretch his neck and rub it when he eats he will get the bottle down sometimes. When he is done he breaths really fast and does not want to move around. I will try with a pail and see if that helps him. I was wondering if it had to do anything with the amount of shots he has gotten most of them have been in the neck. Thanks again everyone.

Might be a dummy, seen them have problems sucking. I am wrassling with one right now, I should have put a 22 LR in between his eyes. I knew better and failed the IQ test for saving him now I pay the stupid tax twice a day messing with him.

Latest posts