Kinked up hay ring

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I picked up one of those el cheapo thin guage hay rings a few years back for a good price. Last winter the cows kinked it pretty good. Anyone have any tricks to pulling the kink out of it?
I've toyed with the idea of turning it into a hay cradle instead like bhb's trampoline idea but my brain doesn't think geometrically well. I gotta see plans in front of me.
Let me know what you all think

Port-a-powers sure come in handy for such things, but you'll still likely have to fab some repair doubler(s) and weld??? I have never bought a new hay ring. If I get 4 or 5 years out of a used one I feel good

I can tell you it took exactly 207 lbs of force and a concrete block postitioned oh so carefully in 4 different places to achieve results that I'm happy with.
Basically I jumped on it.

hooknline":mryg602b said:
I picked up one of those el cheapo thin guage hay rings a few years back for a good price. Last winter the cows kinked it pretty good. Anyone have any tricks to pulling the kink out of it?
I've toyed with the idea of turning it into a hay cradle instead like bhb's trampoline idea but my brain doesn't think geometrically well. I gotta see plans in front of me.
Let me know what you all think
Hook have you priced pipe lately?

I don't have one but my son does and I am becoming a convert of bale unrollers.

I have gone back to feeding the horses hay outside on the ground...and trying to spread it around....better for the horses and better for the ground.

for the cows I still use a round bale feeder because round bales are what I have but we don't have enough cows to justify unrolling. That and in the winter I am feeding at night and a round bale with last several days.

hooknline":2wtuq5p7 said:
I can tell you it took exactly 207 lbs of force and a concrete block postitioned oh so carefully in 4 different places to achieve results that I'm happy with.
Basically I jumped on it.

I am also an advocate of brute force and ignorance! :lol:

pdfangus":18glzodf said:
I don't have one but my son does and I am becoming a convert of bale unrollers.

I have gone back to feeding the horses hay outside on the ground...and trying to spread it around....better for the horses and better for the ground.

for the cows I still use a round bale feeder because round bales are what I have but we don't have enough cows to justify unrolling. That and in the winter I am feeding at night and a round bale with last several days.
I had a couple of heifers last winter that I was feeding in a small pasture and thought about just using my chain saw to cut a big chunk out every day or so, but someone that had tried it said ya end up wearing more than you feed.
(it's one of those things on my "I gotta try it just once--just because" list)

We had a few that were tore up and we made new rings and uprights for them out of sucker rod. To get them round, we chained one end to the tractor tire and then used the tire as a "form" to help bend the rod. We welded them with 7018. They were heavy as all get out but lasted use until we sold them and went to a bale unroller

hooknline":1n1d55qu said:
That's a pretty good idea using the tire as a bender.

Thanks. It worked pretty good. We chained one end to the rim then drove on top of the sucker rod then bent it around by hand then drove forward some more. We were able to get some pretty decent rings. It took some time and work but we ended up with some heavy duty rings.

Latest posts