Kimber .38 Super

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting one of these, not exactly something that would be that concealable, but of all the guns I've looked at i liked its feel the best. Anyone have any experience with one of these? (The one I was specifically looking at was a Target II)

You will love a Kimber. I have one and it is the most accurate, reliable and smoothest shooting handguns I own. Wherever it is point the bullet seems to go like a laser. I am not sure if I would buy one in .38 Super howver. Ammo is hard to find unless you go to a gun shop that carries a broad selection. I would choose one in 9mm or .40 if the .45acp is bigger than you want to carry.

HOSS":f2ypws2h said:
You will love a Kimber. I have one and it is the most accurate, reliable and smoothest shooting handguns I own. Wherever it is point the bullet seems to go like a laser. I am not sure if I would buy one in .38 Super howver. Ammo is hard to find unless you go to a gun shop that carries a broad selection. I would choose one in 9mm or .40 if the .45acp is bigger than you want to carry.
I wondered about the ammo being hard to find. So i asked the owner of the store and he said he always has it in stock, but when we move that could be an issue. Have u had issues with cheaper ammo firing in yours? i have heard that they have issues with that.

Maybe i will go back and look at the .45, i'm just afraid that the hubby will decide its his. They only had 2 in stock (no one else in the area carries them) and he said it takes about 6 months to get one from the factory. So unless one gets sold, it'll be a 38 or 45.

FarmGirl10":wyoxf8es said:
HOSS":wyoxf8es said:
I wondered about the ammo being hard to find. So i asked the owner of the store and he said he always has it in stock, but when we move that could be an issue. Have u had issues with cheaper ammo firing in yours? i have heard that they have issues with that.

Maybe i will go back and look at the .45, i'm just afraid that the hubby will decide its his. They only had 2 in stock (no one else in the area carries them) and he said it takes about 6 months to get one from the factory. So unless one gets sold, it'll be a 38 or 45.

I agree with hoss and also agree to avoid the 38 super. I probably seen 20 Kimbers at a gun show today so I dont get where he thinks it would take 6 months to get one. Unless he is talking about getting another 38 super. I can have a 9mm, 40 cal or 45 cal by this time next weekend and this is a holiday week.

FarmGirl10":3h1m83s8 said:
I'm looking at getting one of these, not exactly something that would be that concealable, but of all the guns I've looked at i liked its feel the best. Anyone have any experience with one of these? (The one I was specifically looking at was a Target II)

I have a 38 Super unless you reload the factory stuff is pretty mild and far from the potential of the 38 super.
It is also hard to find except at gun shops.
You can get a 1911 frame in 9mm and shoot +P ammo and you are at factory 38 super performance with cheaper ammo.
The 9mm, 380ACP, 38, 357 and 38 Super all shoot 35 cal ammo.

kenny thomas":1u8ezhui said:
FarmGirl10":1u8ezhui said:
HOSS":1u8ezhui said:

I agree with hoss and also agree to avoid the 38 super. I probably seen 20 Kimbers at a gun show today so I dont get where he thinks it would take 6 months to get one. Unless he is talking about getting another 38 super. I can have a 9mm, 40 cal or 45 cal by this time next weekend and this is a holiday week.
I wanted a change made to the gun, so i'm assuming 6 months on a custom order.

So is your issue with the .38 super the same as Hoss's?

Secondly is your husband proficient on the 1911.
Kimbers are great guns and have very tight tolerance's and need more attention than a GI Issue model.
The original 1911 was designed to be sloppy and work in all conditions.
If this is his first 38 super I would suggest a Rock Island good solid gun for a lot less until he really knows he want's to shoot a 38 super.

Edit just hate to see you put out the cash on a Kimber in a caliber that doesn't have much of a following.

I have a kimber custom II in 45 acp . I can hit shot gun shell hulls at 20 yards . I wish it was small enough to carry. I wouldn't have a problem fitting a round in a 4 inch spot at 25 yards . I second the 9mm + p ammo . I'm planning on buying a carry gun for my wife in 9 mm . I bought a Springfield xds last week . I hope it comes in before the first of the year .

Not really into the idea of reloading my own ammo. :?

I'm thinking of going back and looking at the .45 while they still have one in stock. I haven't bought a handgun yet because none of them have felt right, but i dont wanna spend about $1,000 on something and then not be able to use it.

He's looking at getting a Rock Island .45 because of how much cheaper it is and we have only heard good things about them. But once again, i hated the feel of it and the next gun that's getting bought is supposed to be mine.

FarmGirl10":1p42mn37 said:
Not really into the idea of reloading my own ammo. :?

I'm thinking of going back and looking at the .45 while they still have one in stock. I haven't bought a handgun yet because none of them have felt right, but i dont wanna spend about $1,000 on something and then not be able to use it.

He's looking at getting a Rock Island .45 because of how much cheaper it is and we have only heard good things about them. But once again, i hated the feel of it and the next gun that's getting bought is supposed to be mine.

I have four Rock's and I will put them up against any of my others good gun's.
I have two in 45ACP one in 9mm and one in 38 Super. The 45 on the nightstand is a Rock Island Armory.

I agree with hoss and also agree to avoid the 38 super. I probably seen 20 Kimbers at a gun show today so I dont get where he thinks it would take 6 months to get one. Unless he is talking about getting another 38 super. I can have a 9mm, 40 cal or 45 cal by this time next weekend and this is a holiday week.[/quote]
I wanted a change made to the gun, so i'm assuming 6 months on a custom order.
So is your issue with the .38 super the same as Hoss's?[/quote]

Yes my issue is the same. With many gun people when someone says 38 super they just walk away. I dont even give one a second look.
What change did you want to make?

Find what you like online and have it sent to your local dealer. I am sending a Springfield 1911 A-1 45 to Arizona as soon as payment is made. If you have a good dealer its not a big deal.

kenny thomas":1px8z5ti said:
Find what you like online and have it sent to your local dealer. I am sending a Springfield 1911 A-1 45 to Arizona as soon as payment is made. If you have a good dealer its not a big deal.

The real question comes down to if a 1911 A-1 is right when she said she didn't like the feel.
Not a lot of difference in weight from one to the other when they are loaded with eight bowling ball's.
Grips are easily change to your taste. 1911's are great guns just not for everyone. She might be better off with an XD.

kenny thomas":28a2kcwu said:
What change did you want to make?
Nothing major, just aesthetics. :lol: I'll admit to some of my girly ways, things have to be pretty. :)

kenny thomas":2e162l2k said:
So pink handles huh? hahaha
Whatever you decide get it like you want it, not what someone else wants to sell you. I will check here tomorrow.
Lol, not pink, just wood instead of plastic. We Re planning on going to the fun range soon and renting a few different ones to see what I like. Any suggestions on anything similar to what I've liked so far?

FarmGirl10":3puzxpkl said:
HOSS":3puzxpkl said:

Maybe i will go back and look at the .45, i'm just afraid that the hubby will decide its his. They only had 2 in stock (no one else in the area carries tkhem) and he said it takes about 6 months to get one from the factory. So unless one gets sold, it'll be a 38 or 45.[/quote

Never had a problem cycling any brand or type. I have had it 12 years and it hasn't had a single jam or ftf.

You can buy Kimber exotic wood grips on ebay or a hundred other places even direct from kimber. Take out a couple of screws and pop on the wood ones. Keep the rubber ones as back up. No waiting and cheaper than having kimber do it.

I also love the Springfield XDM, my understanding is the XD and XDM is the same handgun other than some small differences, such as magizine capacity and accessories that come with the gun. Although I purchased the XDM 9mm because it felt good in my large hands. I understand Springfield makes a XD compact that is a good conceal weapon.

As far as problem ammo goes, I have had some problems with Fiocchi, but could be one of a few reasons. Not to hijack this thread, I'll start a new one.