Killed & Live BRD Vaccination for Purchased Breds ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Double vaccination with Triangle 10 killed, and double vac for black leg, and one vac round of Plumaguard for pneumonia.
After calving turned them out on good pasture. Still - - two first calvers came down with BRD within 10 days. Old cows seemed to do fine.

Are killed vaccines just that weak, or is moving just that much stress for heifers ?
Should have boostered with modified live after calving and before pasture ?

After calving, using live would have been my choice. That would get them on a schedule that you could use it on them later when bred and in the spring while open. Or vice versa if you fall calve.

Based on your user name and your post
Your bringing in sale barn calves and bred cows
They are bringing in some bad bugs to your place and the cows are probably already infected prior to you vaccinating them and the brd vaccine IMO does transfer well from the cow to the calf

Clean pasture and sunshine will probably so the most good and I'd vaccinate the calves
That my 2 cents

Shanghai":2wdltax5 said:
Your bringing in sale barn calves and bred cows .
They are bringing in some bad bugs to your place and the cows are probably already infected prior to you vaccinating them and the brd vaccine IMO does transfer well from the cow to the calf. Clean pasture and sunshine will probably so the most good and I'd vaccinate the calves

All true, and the calves do get Calf Guard oral and Inforce nasal at birth.

The question is why do some first calvers still get BRD after 2 rounds of shots ?

Again just my 2 cents not scientific
When you start vaccinating bred cows with no vaccination history things like your describing seems to be more frequent
It might be You may have some bad bugs there picking up from the facilities water and etc
I don't think it matters so much live or killed
It might be The calves are compromised prior to birth

Also there are so many bugs and different strains a vaccine ain't going cover everything

Edit
Without the benefit of searching the live vs killer vaccine is just the ibr vaccine I think but not certain

Stocker Steve":1rq7u8qu said:
The question is why do some first calvers still get BRD after 2 rounds of shots ?[/quote:1rq7u8qu said:
An old cow probably has built up immunity to lots of things over the years and passes that onto her calf
A first calf heifer probably hasn't built up the same defenses so neither will her calf

"An old cow probably has built up immunity to lots of things over the years and passes that onto her calf
A first calf heifer probably hasn't built up the same defenses so neither will her calf"

X2 when you get pinkeye at a pasture of both first calvers and old cows this is easy to see. Not hardly one cow will have it while all the first calvers do.

Have you thought of using In force 3 on the bred cows you bring in and then giving them an MLV after calving (I am pretty sure I remember in force 3 being safe on pregnant cows. They are right no vaccine is 100% effective but killed vaccines seem to be pretty weak and I cant, bring myself to use an MLV on a bred cow. For the high risk cattle I would for sure keep vaccinating like you are in some way to try and prevent a train wreck.

Latest posts