Kids these days

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
This weekend I helped a family from church move. He recently had a kidney removed and was unable to do much. So they put the word out at church that they needed a hand. There was 4 adult men, 5 or 6 women, 2 college age young men, and about assorted 8 teenage kids showed up to help. It actually went fairly quick and smooth. I was the second person to show up at their old house at 9:00 AM and one of the last to leave at 3:00 PM. What I witnessed made me both sad and proud. The two college age guys were great help. There was a high school age girl who dove right in and was even looking for the heaviest boxes. I was pretty pleased of these young people. Someone had taught them how to work. They didn't stand around, they dove in and got the job done. Then there was the two kids of the people we were moving...... A son and a daughter. A high school junior and senior respectively. And the boy friend of the girl. They did squat. In fact the son was worse than no help. He stood around talking at the people trying to work and was in the way most of the time. At one point someone asked this kid where something went. His reply was, "how would I know I just live here." I so wanted to say, well if you live here how about helping some of these people who are giving up their Saturday to help your family. I sure could tell the difference in the way these kids were raised.
The kids who helped have a bright future. The kids of the family we moved....... not so much.

reminds me of my neighbors when their dad died, some of the church members came to mow and clean up around the house... the kids all grown, some even in their forties.,, sit there and watched the whole time, one even drinking a beer on his truck tailgate...

It's a shame. Just Sunday I had a commercial job that could only be done on Sunday. Hospice building. So I brought dead eye with me for a hand. In the middle of the job a complete stranger came up and paid him a compliment for being such a hard worker, and for helping his dad out instead of playing video games. Especially on a weekend. Made me proud.
It's a shame that the kid didn't even have enough pride to help out those helping his family

That is a prime example of kids who probably spend every waking minute in front of video games and have no clue what physical labor is.

hooknline":1ve2tixg said:
It's a shame. Just Sunday I had a commercial job that could only be done on Sunday. Hospice building. So I brought dead eye with me for a hand. In the middle of the job a complete stranger came up and paid him a compliment for being such a hard worker, and for helping his dad out instead of playing video games. Especially on a weekend. Made me proud.
It's a shame that the kid didn't even have enough pride to help out those helping his family

Funny I was commenting on video games right as you said that.

One of the points which I want to make sure doesn't get missed was those kids who showed up to help someone they didn't know move. They were there because a call for help went out at church. They gave up their Saturday and showed up to work hard. If the opportunity presents itself I would like to get to know these young people better.

And just now as I was typing this I thought how they did a thankless job. I realized it was a thankless job. The only one who said thanks was the pastor, who was himself, there working hard. I am guessing the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Oh well it was the right thing for the others and myself to do. And I wouldn't hesitate to help out again where I can. But it is an interesting insight at human nature in some people.

Dave":3nyqtpjl said:
One of the points which I want to make sure doesn't get missed was those kids who showed up to help someone they didn't know move. They were there because a call for help went out at church. They gave up their Saturday and showed up to work hard. If the opportunity presents itself I would like to get to know these young people better.

And just now as I was typing this I thought how they did a thankless job. I realized it was a thankless job. The only one who said thanks was the pastor, who was himself, there working hard. I am guessing the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Oh well it was the right thing for the others and myself to do. And I wouldn't hesitate to help out again where I can. But it is an interesting insight at human nature in some people.
This goes with the thread about there still being good people around.

Good of you to help. There are some people I've found that just aren't worth helping because they feel entitled to it and this rubs me the wrong way.

I would think the three teenagers mentioned would be perfectly capable of moving the whole house. Might take em a little while, but doable.

You never know... I've seen a few that were raised to be worthless that looked around and watched how good people act and grabbed on in a big way. Maybe it didn't happen this time around but at least the seed was planted. You can't expect a kid that was left to their own devises as a child to jump up and help when there's work being done. They have to learn that somewhere. Hopefully somewhere in the back of their minds they're embarrassed enough that once they work through it they'll help themselves next time.

cow pollinater":f1qjd8eg said:
You can't expect a kid that was left to their own devises as a child to jump up and help when there's work being done. They have to learn that somewhere.
I will tell you where they will learn it. When they get hungry or have to do without because nobody is jumping up to provide it FOR them, then they will learn to get up and help, and to give their work all their effort. Too many people today think that everybody else OWES them something. It is ridiculous how lazy our nation has become. If you want something, get up and work for it. It sounds like those parents raised the kids to be lazy, a family tradition possibly.

Laura lees farm.....Have you ever thought about entering politics??
You hit the nail on the head, in my book.
I run sawmills, logging operations, and farms; I personally would rather take a 70 year old man( with 1 eye and who has had heart trouble), to do any type of manual labor... than any worthless video game-playing , constantly-texting teen ager.

Kinda reminds me of a good part of dads and my employees over the years, dad had one guy that worked for him about 20 years ago, I was too little to remember, but he told dad that he didn't get paid to think, and that he had 1 speed and it was slow.

Latest posts