Kentucky Zombie Deer

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw that earlier, I can only recall a couple other times in the last 30 years I've heard of that. Imagine the stink that thing was carrying around on it's head for weeks.

76 Bar":p9hkav5m said:
Certainly possible but I thought the photo odd.

It is authentic according to Kentucky Fish and Game. The deer is not "two-headed". The head of a deer it was fighting with is entangled in its antlers.

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources said on its Facebook page that a man in Ballard County, Kentucky, harvested a buck that had the rack of another buck's decomposing head entangled in it.
1s1ovd.jpg

Bright Raven":3hx8tg67 said:
76 Bar":3hx8tg67 said:

It is authentic according to Kentucky Fish and Game. The deer is not "two-headed". The head of a deer it was fighting with is entangled in its antlers.

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources said on its Facebook page that a man in Ballard County, Kentucky, harvested a buck that had the rack of another buck's decomposing head entangled in it.
1s1ovd.jpg
I don't believe the buck could have survived long enough with another buck hanging off it's head for it to decompose like that

ez14.":gk42pu3o said:
Bright Raven":gk42pu3o said:
76 Bar":gk42pu3o said:

1s1ovd.jpg
I don't believe the buck could have survived long enough with another buck hanging off it's head for it to decompose like that

I am also skeptical. Take a close look at how their antlers are entangled. It does not look natural. IDK. May be more to this story!

Bright Raven":1dt2pzs3 said:
ez14.":1dt2pzs3 said:
Bright Raven":1dt2pzs3 said:

1s1ovd.jpg

I am also skeptical. Take a close look at how their antlers are entangled. It does not look natural. IDK. May be more to this story!

I see nothing that would make me think that it's not authentic. Whitetail bucks that are truly fighting and not sparring can get really intense. There's a good chance the decaying buck had his neck broken during the ordeal and the position of his head may have made it difficult for the second buck to eat and drink but certainly would not have prohibited it completely.

Kinda like a goat getting his head stuck in a fence. Nature too often won't let them reverse the process and free themselves.

JMJ Farms":3vlqqf7i said:
Bright Raven":3vlqqf7i said:
ez14.":3vlqqf7i said:

I see nothing that would make me think that it's not authentic. Whitetail bucks that are truly fighting and not sparring can get really intense. There's a good chance the decaying buck had his neck broken during the ordeal and the position of his head may have made it difficult for the second buck to eat and drink but certainly would not have prohibited it completely.

Kinda like a goat getting his head stuck in a fence. Nature too often won't let them reverse the process and free themselves.

Apparently, Kentucky Fish and Game agrees. The angle in which they are entangled seems unnatural.

JMJ Farms":7b6al9h4 said:
Bright Raven":7b6al9h4 said:
ez14.":7b6al9h4 said:

I do believe that a buck could kill another buck in a fight but I don't believe the other buck would be able to live for weeks well the other buck was decaying enough to fall off. With the challenges of eating and drinking and also getting around and out running predators I just don't see that happening

funny that cattle people dont believe this. i still dont believe some of my calves actually got into the trouble they did on their own either.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's not to believe. It doesn't happen often, most of the time both bucks die. But this isn't the only time one died and the other survived with the dead buck hanging from his head. One would assume the dead one is quickly eaten by buzzards/vultures while the living deer is laying down to recuperate.

Latest posts