Kentucky Derby.......

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Maximum Security Was Disqualified.........it was around a curve in a muddy field as in those condition I don't see the disqualification...
If it would have been on the straight part of the track in good field condition I could see a disqualification....I guess everybody has and opinion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/04/sports/kentucky-derby-stewards-video-review.html

Replays tell the story why Maximum Security was disqualified. The horse blocked other horses from making a final sprint. I think they had to do something or blocking during the final run would become common practice.

In those field conditions around a curve one very slight slip of a foot and the horse around a curve will drift a little. I don't think it was done on purpose/intentional and Maximum Security was a horse lead ahead when it happened. It cost horse bets over 9 million as I bet there will be a lot of belly aching going on.

The best horse in the Kentucky Derby didn't win. And I sure don't see where the outcome would of been any different if the jockey could of kept Maximum Security on the rail. It looks like MS spooked and caught the jockey off guard to me.

It looked like Maximum Security would have won anyway but it's hard to tell how much he slowed at least 2 others down. One of them might had hit a burst. One thing is for sure is that Country House wasn't gonna win. Country House ran good though considering his odds.

I watched a video once, it had no commentary. Winner made a flying lead change, was all I could make out. Gurrula looking horse ran up his butt when he slowed. I don't understand horse racing, and will need to watch some kind of commentary to ever know what actually happened.

I thought code of honor was the best horse. It was knocked off stride during the melee but nobody mentions it. The horse was hugging the rail most of the way around. I thought the Jockey ran an excellent race.

Maximum Security won his 1st race 4 1/2 months ago 12/20/18 - a $16,000 maiden claiming race.
Meaning anyone could have bought him for $16,000 by claiming him by post time if they wanted him.

He won that race by 9 3/4 lengths and actually won 2 more higher priced claiming races without
anyone claiming him, before moving up in class and then winning the 1 million dollar 1 1/8 mile
Florida Derby 40 days ago.
The winner of the Florida Derby has gone on to win the Kentucky Derby 16 times along with
10 Preakness winners and 5 Belmonts over the last 65 years.

Next year $16,000 won't even buy one stud service by him.
Maximum Security (home-bred and owned by) Gary & Mary West: 2008 net worth 2.2 billion
Sire: New Year's Day, purchased as a yearling in 2012 for $425,000 by the West's.

He damned near caused a disaster....
don't know why but he swerved and cut off at least two horses and then when he tried to go back to the rail he cut off a third... all three of the horses cut off might have been able to make a run at him but we will never know.
one of the horses he cut off actually had his forelegs running between Maximum Securitys hind legs and had they hit there could have been a collosal wreck killing horses and jockeys...remember these were the front runners with a pack of a large and crowed field behind them.
it does not matter who called foul...and several did...not just the horse who was not fouled.
and it was a foul....this is not nascar rules....rubbing ain't racing
the rules call for the disqualified horse to be removed and the other results moved up which is what happened...
the jockey knew there had been a screw up...you could see it in his face....question is did the horse do it or did the jockey do it...

pdfangus said:
don't know why but he swerved and cut off at least two horses and then when he tried to go back to the rail he cut off a third... all three of the horses cut off might have been able to make a run at him but we will never know.
one of the horses he cut off actually had his forelegs running between Maximum Securitys hind legs and had they hit there could have been a collosal wreck killing horses and jockeys...remember these were the front runners with a pack of a large and crowed field behind them.
it does not matter who called foul...and several did...not just the horse who was not fouled.
the rules call for the disqualified horse to be removed and the other results moved up which is what happened...
the jockey knew there had been a screw up...you could see it in his face....question is did the horse do it or did the jockey do it...

Best explanation I've heard thus far. Thank you.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
pdfangus said:

TT, that is an excellent explanation. The same explanation was provided Saturday evening broadcast out of Channel 18 Lexington with revealing reruns from various angles.

The question is was it deliberately caused by the jockey? I think it definitely was.

Bright Raven said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
pdfangus said:

TT, that is an excellent explanation. The same explanation was provided Saturday evening broadcast out of Channel 18 Lexington with revealing reruns from various angles.

The question is was it deliberately caused by the jockey? I think it definitely was.

I thought the jockey was looking back and just drifted off the rail and then over corrected to get back towards the rail. The jockey looked out of position and not very smooth when he brought the horse back towards the rail.

Maximum Security owner plans Kentucky Derby appeal, says disqualified horse won't run in Preakness

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/maximum-security-owner-plans-kentucky-derby-appeal-says-disqualified-horse-wont-run-in-preakness/ar-AAAYkvM?li=BBnb7Kz

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I thought the jockey was looking back and just drifted off the rail and then over corrected to get back towards the rail. The jockey looked out of position and not very smooth when he brought the horse back towards the rail.
That is the question. Was it his incompetence as a jockey or was he seeking an advantage at the risk of injury and death to riders and horses. I suspect the other jockeys would like to make him a proposition that he cannot refuse. If it was his horse acting up, then he gets a pass.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:

That is the question. Was it his incompetence as a jockey or was he seeking an advantage at the risk of injury and death to riders and horses. I suspect the other jockeys would like to make him a proposition that he cannot refuse. If it was his horse acting up, then he gets a pass.

Can't see an owner or trainer putting an incompetent jockey on a horse in the Kentucky Derby. It just looked like the jockey got flustered to me once the horse went wide right. A jockey always looks so smooth on top of the horse.

Are there other examples of rulings like this? I know it's never happened at the Ky derby, but is it common at horse races? I've watched it a few times. Horse picks up his right lead in a left turn. Natural flow of the body after that would be to the right. Looks like to avoid a tire track standing full of water. I cant tell the jockey asked him to pick up a right lead. I'm not sure I could personally get a horse to do that under my will in a turn, with my feet that high (I also couldn't ride like that any way, so mute point).