Dying Young in Kentucky

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1j1wc1pr said:
Bright Raven":1j1wc1pr said:
Just watched Lexington news coverage of the decrease in longevity in the 8 eastern Kentucky counties. Obesity and smoking were cited in addition to lack of access to health care.

The underlying reason was cited as POVERTY.

Only in America can obesity, smoking and poverty be linked together.

I see your logic. My guess, it occurs in other countries.

Poverty and malnutrition seems like it goes hand in hand outside of the good olé US of A. Those that don't work should starve, and not be issued a handicap sticker because they're fat.

True Grit Farms":18bk0oah said:
Poverty and malnutrition seems like it goes hand in hand outside of the good olé US of A. Those that don't work should starve, and not be issued a handicap sticker because they're fat.
In the areas there and also many counties here in VA obesity is rapidly increasing. Even in smaller children. It's unreal how many 400 lb people I see.

kenny thomas":2uc5v43x said:
True Grit Farms":2uc5v43x said:
In the areas there and also many counties here in VA obesity is rapidly increasing. Even in smaller children. It's unreal how many 400 lb people I see.

Pretty common in rural east Texas as well due to many reasons as already stated. Seems like we losing an entire generation.

kenny thomas":zn9p1pb6 said:
True Grit Farms":zn9p1pb6 said:

I see it all over. Youngsters. I see kids in the 5th grade that must weigh 200 pounds. They must sit on the couch and eat junk food.

Many things have changed, first off we never had junk food. Barely had enough to eat. And if I acted a little lazy dad would hand me a hoe and say go to the tobacco patch. Any extra calories I could have gotten would have been worked off.

A big thing that has changed is that back then it was a shame to have to get a welfare check or food stamps, the whole neighborhood would talk about the few that did. Somewhere along the way it became normal and now some are in the 3rd generation of drawing a check.

kenny thomas":2qi49zfh said:
Many things have changed, first off we never had junk food. Barely had enough to eat. And if I acted a little lazy dad would hand me a hoe and say go to the tobacco patch. Any extra calories I could have gotten would have been worked off.
I still have this you should be familiar with as well. I hated hear dad tell me to go get it.

True Grit Farms":1xag9gz5 said:
The U.S.A is known for having the fattest poor folks in the world. :shock:

No matter how poor a person is there is always enough money for a bag of chips, a pack of smokes, and a couple lottery tickets.

Title of this thread brought some memories back. My brothers and I would talk as kids and joke around and such. Remember my older brother joking around how the Good Die Young, dipping Skoal or whatever name brand just being a young teen. Remember him saying I'd probably just live to 38 and Michael your probably live to 83 or something old. Wish he could have been right could of had my older brother for 23 more years. April 29th is usually a pretty tough day surprisingly it went by without me giving it a thought on that day. Must have been real busy. Sorry for posting off topic. Just felt like sharing.

FlyingLSimmentals":1hprwsax said:
Title of this thread brought some memories back. My brothers and I would talk as kids and joke around and such. Remember my older brother joking around how the Good Die Young, dipping Skoal or whatever name brand just being a young teen. Remember him saying I'd probably just live to 38 and Michael your probably live to 83 or something old. Wish he could have been right could of had my older brother for 23 more years. April 29th is usually a pretty tough day surprisingly it went by without me giving it a thought on that day. Must have been real busy. Sorry for posting off topic. Just felt like sharing.

Thank you for sharing. I have 3 brothers and a sister. We are all still alive. I remember sitting in a dormitory room as a freshman. There were about 5 of us talking about our aspirations. Someone said they wanted to be a Doctor. Someone said an Engineer, etc. I said I just wanted to live to be 50. I made it.

Caustic Burno":1050t5n5 said:
kenny thomas":1050t5n5 said:
I still have this you should be familiar with as well. I hated hear dad tell me to go get it.
The last auction I was at there were 3 of those in a lot.. they went for nearly $300!!! They were in good shape though.

We have our share of fat arses up here, but I did find the southern states took that to a whole other level.. Checking into a hotel in Georgia there was a truck driver ahead of me, barely tall enough to see over the counter, I swear he would have been taller laying down, we was definitely into the 4wts.

Bright Raven":2iak69p0 said:
FlyingLSimmentals":2iak69p0 said:

Thank you for sharing. I have 3 brothers and a sister. We are all still alive. I remember sitting in a dormitory room as a freshman. There were about 5 of us talking about our aspirations. Someone said they wanted to be a Doctor. Someone said an Engineer, etc. I said I just wanted to live to be 50. I made it.

A fellow who worked for us (a total nutjob, but friendly sort) was about 30, he would go on a new diet (raw, nuts, bluegreen algae, seeds, fruit, etc) at every whim of whatever the last book he read.. His goal was to get old. He's about 50 now, and I don't know how that's working out for him, but I will say he succeeded in LOOKING old.. he looks about 60-70 now

Nesikep":rn9se0ff said:
Bright Raven":rn9se0ff said:
FlyingLSimmentals":rn9se0ff said:

A fellow who worked for us (a total nutjob, but friendly sort) was about 30, he would go on a new diet (raw, nuts, bluegreen algae, seeds, fruit, etc) at every whim of whatever the last book he read.. His goal was to get old. He's about 50 now, and I don't know how that's working out for him, but I will say he succeeded in LOOKING old.. he looks about 60-70 now
:lol:

kenny thomas":ljht96t2 said:
True Grit Farms":ljht96t2 said:

:nod: :nod:
Same here, in my area, Kenny. Albemarle county doesn't seem to have the same level of obesity as my county (Greene) and some of the other surrounding counties.

Caustic Burno":1lvj6hyb said:
kenny thomas":1lvj6hyb said:

Still have mine and still use it, now and then. I've gotten a Stihl version of the small Mantis tiller and use that more often.