Kentucky Derby.......

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot said:
Are there other examples of rulings like this? I know it's never happened at the Ky derby, but is it common at horse races? I've watched it a few times. Horse picks up his right lead in a left turn. Natural flow of the body after that would be to the right. Looks like to avoid a tire track standing full of water. I cant tell the jockey asked him to pick up a right lead. I'm not sure I could personally get a horse to do that under my will in a turn, with my feet that high (I also couldn't ride like that any way, so mute point).

Yes. That was mentioned. They said it does occur. You are correct, it has not occurred in the Kentucky Derby.

Bigfoot said:
Are there other examples of rulings like this? I know it's never happened at the Ky derby, but is it common at horse races? I've watched it a few times. Horse picks up his right lead in a left turn. Natural flow of the body after that would be to the right. Looks like to avoid a tire track standing full of water. I cant tell the jockey asked him to pick up a right lead. I'm not sure I could personally get a horse to do that under my will in a turn, with my feet that high (I also couldn't ride like that any way, so mute point).

Unless they're racing Clydesdales there's not much chance of seeing your big self in a horse race.

The penalty seemed excessive especially considering the 'winner' wasn't actually in the running.
The penalized horse/jockey won't be running in the Preakness this year

Bigfoot said:
Are there other examples of rulings like this?
Yes, it is not uncommon in lessor races with less experienced jockeys.

Maybe 1 in 20 races a jockey lodges a complaint triggering a judges inquiry and a light comes on the
tote board before the official results are posted telling all betters to hold their tickets.
The judges review the tape and the ruling is usually completed in under 10 minutes.
1/2 the time the complaint is unfounded. Depending on the foul the offending horse is penalized
distance and seems is most often disqualified, going into the official record as last place-dq.

The Derby judges took 20 minutes to rule, which tells me they looked at it very closely to make
certain they got it right and to enforce the correct ruling on the big stage.

There are legal methods to impede the progress of other horses.
IMO that was the offending jockey's intent, but he misjudged the speed and distance to do so.
In effect 'Pilot Error'. It cost him a lot money, as jockeys are paid on a predetermined % of the purse
their horse earns in each race.

At smaller tracks, I prefer to bet the jockey. Because the best jockey usually has his pick of horses
and races. He's going to choose each based on his judgment of which will provide the best chance
of earning him the most money that day.

Unfortunately the 2019 Derby will go down in the books as the most contentious, discussed/cussed running in its 145 year history.
With a few rare exceptions, the horses, trainers & jocks regularly competing at the upper echelons of horse racing e.g. graded Stakes are the creme de la cream of that industry.
Its my belief MS did indeed shy on the turn for home, Saez over corrected in the heat of battle and the rest is history.
Bayern wiped out 4-5 horses coming out of the gate at the start of the 2014 Breeders Cup Classic and nary a word was said. YMMV.
Enlightening articles.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-ra...ntucky-derby-opinion-right-call-wrong-process
https://www.twinspires.com/blog/201...rby-dq-less-satisfactory-than-decision-itself

Son of Butch" There are legal methods to impede the progress of other horses. IMO that was the offending jockey's intent said:
So what do you think is the possible gain from complaints, and an appeal of the steward's ruling ? :deadhorse:

Latest posts