Keeping flies out of your truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks Joe!

Got any tips for keeping the mice out? Had a pack of chewing gum in the glove box and the rascals ate the whole thing. Wonder if they blew bubbles when they farted?

:lol2: :lol2: Mice probably did. I don't know what the flies like so much about the cab of the truck. Just seems like they are attracted to it for some reason. If they stay in there overnight, they make little sculptures all over the ceiling and the lil sculptures are nearly impossible to remove. I can't stand flies. I wish I still had some DDT. Now that worked wonders. :nod:

I just shut the windows when I park, haven;t had flys in the cab in a long time. Ants are a whole nother story.

they will find a way in. you may want to try keeping a dead fish in the bed.

Beefy":3pf91ku3 said:

Somebody shoved a dead squirrel under the seat of my truck one time. Right in the middle of summer, it was all slimey and gooey by the time I found it.

cfpinz":2dch59cl said:
Beefy":2dch59cl said:

Somebody shoved a dead squirrel under the seat of my truck one time. Right in the middle of summer, it was all slimey and gooey by the time I found it.

If that happened to me I'm pretty sure that somebody would find a snake in their vehicle. Black racers aren't venomous but boy do they have a temper.

cfpinz":19flmpkn said:
Beefy":19flmpkn said:

How did it taste? I understand you folks from backwoods VA tenderize your meat that way

Flies are a considerable source of distraction in the cab of a vehicle. Crack your windows and eventually they'll get sucked out while driving down the road. I don't doubt that Off will work, but the smell is nauseating. I use it only under desperate circumstances involving biting insects.

well, they just dont make things like they used too. i hate those new snaps on the back of your cap. i dont know how many i've broken swatting flies...

i use the suck them out of the window method too. unless its late in the afternoon and a ton of horseflies get in, in that case i roll up all the windows and let them heat to death the next day.

my truck doesnt smell all that bad. i would probably notice dead squirrel smell the following day in this heat. mom left a pack of frozen chicken in her honda accord trunk one time.

Black racers are far scarier than any venomous snake. basically any thing that jumps out suddenly is scary. well maybe not scary, but startling!

dun":2brxlcc1 said:
How did it taste? I understand you folks from backwoods VA tenderize your meat that way

Pretty tasty, nothing quite like the taste of rancid squirrel gravy. For tenderizing, I prefer to drag them behind the truck down a gravel road. Kind of like your "possum on the half-shell".

My sense of smell is pretty weak, the girl I was dating at the time kept telling me the truck stank, but it had smelled like a wet dog since I bought it. Never did find out who put it there.

Jogeephus":38qnmuyl said:
Learned that a good spray of Off in the cab of your truck will send them packing.

Get any insect repellent that contains DEET on your vehicles plastic trim and you'll wish you hadn't. It will melt plastic. Don't ask how I know this.

It will also dissolve some gunstock finishes. Don't ask how I know that either.

milesvb":2m569yuk said:
Jogeephus":2m569yuk said:
Learned that a good spray of Off in the cab of your truck will send them packing.

Get any insect repellent that contains DEET on your vehicles plastic trim and you'll wish you hadn't. It will melt plastic. Don't ask how I know this.

It will also dissolve some gunstock finishes. Don't ask how I know that either.

You are preaching to the choir! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: You ought to see the dash board of the ton truck. :oops: I left a bottle of Ben's (98% Deet) on it once and I guess the bumps loosened the lid. It caused a terrific mess. Bout like water on the Wicked Witch of the West. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a bottle of doe urine to leak out in my truck one time.It was under the seat and I had forgoten about it. Of course it wated until the next summer to do it.Flies sure were attracted to that smell.

Cal

Not at all related, but ya'll remind me of something I did one time in high school. We had a couple of those bully types that everyone has and I was their target for the week. I got me one of those little 50 cent water pistols and filled it up with coon pee. A couple dots on their back while walking down a crowded hallway and the rest was all laughs. As for flies, I have long since given up. My old farm truck has its own ecosystem going on.

J. T.":32b0irkc said:
You might try bathing more often. 8)

Surely you jest! There ain't but one Saturday in a week. Gee, I thought everybody node that. Hope you ain't confusing your students with some alternative calandar mumbo jumbo.:lol2:

On the mice front, keep a bar of Irish Spring soap under the seat. Take it out of the box and the mice won't go near the truck. We keep this in all the vehicles/tractors that don't get alot of use and we haven't had rodent problems in years. I like to stuff a bar into the common vent area of the AC/Heater too. When you fire up the AC for the first time, instead of stale smell, you get fresh Irish Spring.

Rod

Latest posts