Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
I know most of are going through winter now and the flies won't be so bad but come a couple of months and you'll be into summer...and flies will be there to make your life miserable :nod:

How do you all control flies? You can buy those 'disposable' fly traps(Rescue, Redtop etc) but are they really effective at the end of the day? These traps are very efficient in attracting and trapping flies. The suppliers say the flies drown in the water and that the disposable bag may be dumped in the garbage.

Even though you top them up with water as suggested by supplier the bag still ends up with a whole lot of maggots. This bag is then being disposed of somewhere just to start the whole fly circle again. I think if everyone disposed of the bag 'correctly' it would make a dent in the population of flies.

So how do we dispose of them correctly? Seal the bag and make sure the maggots die off before disposal, bury them or burn them or what?

I'm making up one of these to test, no place for maggots to develop. When you want to clean it out just spray the flies that are still buzzing with fly spray and toss it out...or am I missing something?

I am in summer, my calves swat them with beefy tails, and stomp on them, or, if they get in the way of the feed path, eat them 😀

dave_shelby said:
Chickens.

I have chickens, maybe, they should lose a head ? Still have flies.

Or, on a more serious note, are you suggesting they live with the calves and cows feed area ? I would expect that to be a high risk job, although I am surprised how tolerant cows and calves are of lambs and ewes.....even when swiping thier feed...

Alison the fly catchers do work as advertised but when full they stink to high heaven once full and the flies begin to decay. The maggots hurt nothing. Nothing will get rid of ALL your flies though.

greggy said:
dave_shelby said:
Chickens.

I have chickens, maybe, they should lose a head ? Still have flies.

Or, on a more serious note, are you suggesting they live with the calves and cows feed area ? I would expect that to be a high risk job, although I am surprised how tolerant cows and calves are of lambs and ewes.....even when swiping thier feed...

Go in our chicken coops in summer and the windows are like 5 inches deep with flies.

Nesikep said:
I'd think putting some bleach in the water would kill them off easy
It could but may interfere with the 'attractiveness' of the bait. Would have to test it ;-)
TexasBred said:
Alison the fly catchers do work as advertised but when full they stink to high heaven once full and the flies begin to decay. The maggots hurt nothing. Nothing will get rid of ALL your flies though.
If a bag catches 20 000 odd flies, how many maggots do you think it can hold :lol:
TB...what happens to those maggots when the bag is disposed of? Don't you think they develop and fly off only to come and sit on your nose again :lol: :lol:

Yes Nesi...I have a Redtop going now, will add bleach when it's ready to dispose of. Your suggestion should work, will let you know ;-)

Boiling water.

Council waste management can have a big impact on fly populations. Basically if they separate out compostables and bury deep enough, less flies.

alisonb said:
Nesikep said:
I'd think putting some bleach in the water would kill them off easy
It could but may interfere with the 'attractiveness' of the bait. Would have to test it ;-)
TexasBred said:
If a bag catches 20 000 odd flies, how many maggots do you think it can hold :lol:
TB...what happens to those maggots when the bag is disposed of? Don't you think they develop and fly off only to come and sit on your nose again :lol: :lol:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Probably :cry2: :cry2: No most will quickly die from dehydration.

I collect them, add water as instructed, but mix some bleach in there too, I find it more effective.

Latest posts