Keeping Crabgrass Out of Bermuda Field

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":458hicu1 said:
cowgirl8":458hicu1 said:
Bigfoot":458hicu1 said:
Going thru a sweat is when the hay continues to heat up in the bale. All hay does it, as far as I know. It may not if you waited an extremely long time to bale it.
Probably going to happen more with hay baled too green. We dont buy hay so we know it was baled right, never had a problem feeding it right out of the field to horses..Going on over 48 years...Husband grew up at a Dallas area stables, he baled square hay since he was big enough to run a tractor and worked with a horse vet until we got married..When he gets home i'll ask him but i bet he'll giggle a little.

He can laugh all he wants, and feed all the hot hay he wants.
Do a little research and you'll find that the old people were wrong about letting hay sweat or their experiences are now changed with the baling equipment we have now, but they were right on working hard to get ahead in life..
You're from a different area than me and the only grass we need to worry about is johnson grass and only if its stressed whether it be from drought or frost. No one intentionally feeds moldy hay, my horse wont touch it if its offered to her. If hay is baled green, its going to mold and heat up and no amount of sitting will sweat that out. A good hay baler will cure the hay and it will be feed ready the day it hits the ground tied.

This is why you get in so many arguement a here. Saying you have fed hot hay to horses your whole life with no consequences is like me saying I walk around with a live round in my chamber. It must be safe, because I haven't blowed my foot of yet. I want be taking you up on the research, because I could give two pinches of owl shyt less who's right, and who's wrong.

Bigfoot":19tzx9gm said:
This is why you get in so many arguement a here. Saying you have fed hot hay to horses your whole life with no consequences is like me saying I walk around with a live round in my chamber. It must be safe, because I haven't blowed my foot of yet. I want be taking you up on the research, because I could give two pinches of owl shyt less who's right, and who's wrong.
you are the one arguing...lol

All hay when first baled will go threw a heat. Only someone who has never been around any hay being baled and hauled would not know that.

Red Bull Breeder":lp1662qm said:
All hay when first baled will go threw a heat. Only someone who has never been around any hay being baled and hauled would not know that.
Thats not the question, its whether it can be fed or not. A quick search found this...all others are from forums. This is from an extension agent..https://otoe.unl.edu/c/document_library ... 35006&.pdf

I haven't googled for an article, and want. In my opinion a horse has a greater chance of colicing, and or getting acidosis on hot hay.

I'm a glutten for punishment today I guess. I would hate for someone to read this, and end up killing a good horse. As hay sits in a bale, and heats up, part of the process involves mold/fungus growth. It doesnt have the same same smell/texture/dustiness you normally associate with moldy hay. The freshly cut hay is irresistable to a dry lot horse, or a horse in a stall. They will go ahead, and ingest the hay due to its likeness to green grass. Someone can look, and find all the land grant university research that they want. Any big gun that wants to can post on here, that there is no inherant danger to feeding hot hay to a horse. My position is that the risk does not outweigh the rewards. A horse is a hindgut fermenter, and not a ruminant. They can't handle what you throw at a cow. Is it possible to feed a horse hot hay, and not kill it? The answer is yes. Is it wise to feed a horse hot hay? The answer is no.

Latest posts