Keeping Cattle at pasture..away from your place..

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
I am pretty sure afew folks on this board keep their cattle at a pasture that is not at their home..I know it's very common..

I have come across a situation where I can potentially do this...but I'm looking for what folks do to prevent problems or theft...outside of the obvious of locking the gate and saying a prayer. I've always had my cattle at home.

Thanks

Just don't make it easy for them to pen and load em. I lock the gate and the gate to corrals or pens, then say a prayer.

I keep cows away from my home but its not far and I'm able to get by there every day. I've never had any problems. I have a neighbor with cattle across the road that would notice most anything wrong though. I guess you could run brimmerXs like my grandpa used to. First sight of someone and the would throw their heads up like deer and head for the woods. JK :D

yes alot of people pasture cattle a good ways from home.an they check the cattle 2 or 3 times a week,depending on how far they have to drive.an some check them once a week or 2wks.but i dont like the thought of going that long without checking cattle.

Put up some game cams at several locations on the property...at least you can have pics of what is going on and if something goes bad ..a pic can be used in a court room....If your not to far in the boonies, with as much wifi as there is now, you might be able to use cameras that send you a live feed to your puter.

Id check on them everyday..its only about 5 minutes from my house..but its kinda secluded..

I like the game camera idea..wonder if they make signs I can put on the gates "Smile, you are on camera"

spinandslide":3hku0gen said:
Id check on them everyday..its only about 5 minutes from my house..but its kinda secluded..

I like the game camera idea..wonder if they make signs I can put on the gates "Smile, you are on camera"
They do make those signs and they also have cameras that will text you picture or you cango to website to see a live video stream.

If you have cattle away from home do not keep a schedule checking and feeding. I would be there at all hours, even feed at 2am in the morning sometimes. Do not leave a trailor as said keep corral gate locked. Keep a brimmer or long horn in the heard.
I have everything within 1.5 mile of by bed now live is much easier and it is my own don't have to worry about loosing after getting the fences fixed.

A lock keeps honest people honest. If a thief wants em he'll get em.
But then what are the statistics that it will happen. I'm a lot more paranoid about them getting out on their own.

20 miles away. 4 good neighbors on adjoining property. 1 not so good. I help these neighbors and they watch out for me. Works great.

My cattle are about 20 miles from the house. I don't have Pens and I put out a game camera about 40 foot before the gate . Get to know the e
Neighbors and let them know no one is to be on the place on horses or working your cows with put you . I've had a calf come up missing recently . And I suspect someone came in through the hunting club and shot him . No prof but he's gone . As long as they can't load em they can't steal em .

spinandslide":3ru7lglx said:
I am pretty sure afew folks on this board keep their cattle at a pasture that is not at their home..I know it's very common..

I have come across a situation where I can potentially do this...but I'm looking for what folks do to prevent problems or theft...outside of the obvious of locking the gate and saying a prayer. I've always had my cattle at home.

Thanks

I kept cattle for years a 120 miles from the house, good fences and good neighbors are the key.
But be aware only at the worst possible time in your life will things go wrong and you have to get your butt there.
If I had to do over again I wouldn't just young and dumb and time's were different. The world has turned into a much nastier place in the last twenty years. The need for money to fuel drug habits and the moral breakdown of society has changed the rules to the game.

Mine range from 65 to 92 miles from the house in 3 different locations. I have no choice as I can't afford land close to the big city. As Burno says, a neighbor to watch out helps and good fences are a must. As long as everyone around you knows that you live out of town, they will watch out for you most of the time. Tag your cows with a ear tag that has your name and phone number on them. I only leave my bulls on the cows for three months to prevent them from getting bored and going through through the fence but it still happens occasionally. Animals that won't stay in get shipped. Don't put your pens close to the road. The most aggravating thing I have had is when the sheriff's dept dispatcher called me at 2 AM to let me know my cows were out on the road. Drove all the way down there and they weren't mine. You definitely want an easy calving bull and no heifers.

Mine are scattered about. Never had any trouble other than they getting out a time or two. Once had a pretty good scare when 15 replacement heifers I raised went missing. Walked every fence and couldn't find anything wrong and was just about to call the sherriff when I heard something in an old house and there they were. Squatters.

vagrants2-1.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

Thanks for the experiences and opinions..most of my cows are quite suspiscious of strange people..the place is only 5 minutes down the highway and I'd go and check them everyday..Its a good deal to get them on a large area of ungrazed pasture..:)

As the saying goes, "trust your neighbors but brand your cattle."

My cows are about 7 miles from the house during the summer. Every single one of them has a brand on it. Not that there aren't ways around that but the people who know how to get around branded cattle are pro's not some stupid druggie.

Latest posts