Kansas Smoking Ban

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Well the healthier-than-thou crowd has gotten a statewide smoking ban passed in the state of Kansas. And as usual with politicians, it's the ultimate in hypocrisy, as there is no ban on SELLING tobacco products and collecting their taxes. This will put the hurt on a lot of "mom and pop" bars/restaurants. They have passed smoking bans in some towns around here, and the little locally owned bars started dropping like flies. A lot of the ones that are still hanging on can't afford to hire a band anymore, as a friend of mine who plays in a band can attest. And another point of hypocrisy, why is it ok to sit in a bar and pickle your liver but the lungs are somehow more sacred????? I live in Missouri, and I am gonna do my best never to spend another dollar in Kansas. Wake up people, even if you don't smoke and don't care about this particular issue, you should, because it's just the latest way of the government trampling your rights and your freedom because they know what's best for you!

:cowboy:

It happened here a few years ago. Believe me when I tell you it's not gonna put any beer joints out of business. I don't know of ONE bar anywhere near where I live that went under because of that law.

What it did do is stop exposing everyone who works in bars to second hand smoke and their families to THIRD hand smoke(which has now been proven to be also very carcinogenic)

I also do not have to smell the "Smoking" room when I walk in the door of any restuarant.

I worked VERY hard to quit that habit and I don't believe that ANYONE has the right to inflict it on me ANYWHERE.

That's the kind of logic that brought us gun bans and prohibition, IMHO. People can choose where they drink, dine and seek work. Or at least they used to be able to before some in our society decided the masses needed a nanny. You've probably inhaled more toxic fumes in the parking lot from exhaust fumes before you ever entered the bar.....

MO_cows":nu0u01o8 said:
That's the kind of logic that brought us gun bans and prohibition, IMHO. People can choose where they drink, dine and seek work. Or at least they used to be able to before some in our society decided the masses needed a nanny. You've probably inhaled more toxic fumes in the parking lot from exhaust fumes before you ever entered the bar.....

:clap: :clap: Well said mo-cows.
Just another form of the government control.

Cal

PETA and the vegetarian crowd are gonna be as proud of the Govt. ban on methane producing livestock,
as some are proud of the Govt. ban on second hand smoke.

I'm guessing one day we'll all be riding bicycles, eating tofu, and huddling naked together in Govt housing for warmth.
And we'll all be a very proud people.

tncattle467":3su6l84p said:
You must be a smoker that is whining about the law huh? I know here if caught smoking where prohibited you are fined 50.00 whether that is enforced or not I really dont know. I have no sympathy for smokers just like I have no sympathy for dui offenders and drunkards.
What a crock. I don't own a gun but I am against gun control.
It is what she says it is, just one more form of the government babysitting the taxpayers.
We are not asking for, and do not want, your sympathy or anyone elses for that matter.

Most people that are for small government usually don't apply that to there own personal interests. They want small government unless it helps them. This is the kind of selfishness that has grown the government to where it is today.

Walt

My opinion is that it should be left strictly up to the establishment or business. I don't smoke and don't really like being around it...BUT...a private business has a RIGHT to decide if they wish to allow smoking in all of their facility, part of their facility or no smoking at all. Before we had the smoking ban here in TN, when I went into a resturaunt I made a decision on whether or not I wanted to patronize that establishment. If the smoke was too bad I would leave. I exercised my right to not patronize that business but I had no right to demand that the owner of the business give up his. Market conditions will drive a business owner to either allow or disallow smoking. I also exercise my right to not patronize businesses that post signs banning concealed carry on their premesis but I have no problem with their right to post such sign either as long as it is not public property or a public right-of-way.

tncattle467":1s4h8bbx said:
MO_cows":1s4h8bbx said:

You must be a smoker that is whining about the law huh? I know here if caught smoking where prohibited you are fined 50.00 whether that is enforced or not I really dont know. I have no sympathy for smokers just like I have no sympathy for dui offenders and drunkards.

I have no sympathy for small-minded idiots and a whole lot of other people. But that's beside the point. Which is, that the Kansas state government is deciding what people can and can't do within their own businesses on the one hand, while still allowing the sale of the supposedly banned product and collecting a good chunk of tax revenue from it on the other.

And now that we have started down this road, what's next? I have been reading a lot about obesity on the rise and a health crisis is coming due to it. So I guess next they will legislate who can or can't eat twinkies??

Alcohol is responsible for a whole lot of human misery and death. So should we go back to prohibition??

It's a slippery slope and we have started sliding down it. Can we stop?????

In Ga. state prisons, inmates can buy cigs at the commissary but they can't buy or possess matches or a lighter. :lol2:

MO we have had that here for quite a while now. The restaurant and bar owners thought the same thing but business went on as usual. I don`t know what the whole law is for you, but hear people can still smoke outdoors as long as they are so many feet away from the doors of the establishment. They also either passed or it is coming into place that you cannot smoke in your vehicle if you have children in it.

hillsdown":3efbm1vb said:
MO we have had that here for quite a while now. The restaurant and bar owners thought the same thing but business went on as usual. I don`t know what the whole law is for you, but hear people can still smoke outdoors as long as they are so many feet away from the doors of the establishment. They also either passed or it is coming into place that you cannot smoke in your vehicle if you have children in it.
now thats one that needs to be enforced,, cause some parents are too dam stupid not to,,, course around here they cook meth with there children in the house... then you see them on the news, crying with their rusted ass teeth when their taking their babies from em

It is going to get that way here sooner or later. There are a lot of cities that have banned smoking in public establishments, restaurants and bars. As a smoker, that doesn't really bother me. Even though I smoke, I don't want to be shut up in a car or room with someone who is smoking. I smoke outdoors and I crack the window of my truck when I smoke when driving. I don't smoke around non-smokers as a rule. It won't kill me if I have to wait a while.

I do agree that once we start banning stuff, there's no telling where it ends.

Pennsylvania started a smoking ban a year or so ago . Small bars where less than 20 or 25% of their total sales is food could get an exemption . I don't smoke but I like to see people smoke because Pennsylvania uses the cigarette tax to fund it's farmland preservation program . Keep on smoking so we can preserve more farms.

tncattle467":1ww8o0nu said:
HOSS":1ww8o0nu said:
My opinion is that it should be left strictly up to the establishment or business. I don't smoke and don't really like being around it...BUT...a private business has a RIGHT to decide if they wish to allow smoking in all of their facility, part of their facility or no smoking at all. Before we had the smoking ban here in TN, when I went into a resturaunt I made a decision on whether or not I wanted to patronize that establishment. If the smoke was too bad I would leave. I exercised my right to not patronize that business but I had no right to demand that the owner of the business give up his. Market conditions will drive a business owner to either allow or disallow smoking. I also exercise my right to not patronize businesses that post signs banning concealed carry on their premesis but I have no problem with their right to post such sign either as long as it is not public property or a public right-of-way.

I do the same with the no firearms deal even though 95% of the businesses are posted incorrectly and you could get away with carrying without breaking the law all they could ask you to do is leave and then if you dont you will get arrested for trespassing. It has to say TCA (TN Code Annotated) blah blah blah says that firearms are not allowed in this establishment. If it dont say something about TCA in it it aint legal. A dude in chattanooga sued a business over this and won is how I know I read it on Tngunowners.com
You better keep it concealed cause if I get a glimpse of it, I'm takin it from yo azz. :D

I do the same with the no firearms deal even though 95% of the businesses are posted incorrectly and you could get away with carrying without breaking the law all they could ask you to do is leave and then if you dont you will get arrested for trespassing. It has to say TCA (TN Code Annotated) blah blah blah says that firearms are not allowed in this establishment. If it dont say something about TCA in it it aint legal. A dude in chattanooga sued a business over this and won is how I know I read it on Tngunowners.com[/quote]
You better keep it concealed cause if I get a glimpse of it, I'm takin it from yo azz. :D[/quote]

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:
Cal

Nobody worse being around than a reformed alcoholic and smoker.
Both think because you drink or smoke you're the greatest sinner in the world.

Cal

3Way, kudos on kicking the habit. It's hard to do! I do respect you for that and shoulda said so before.

What really gets me is, this move was not really and truly about the public's health. If it truly was, they would have banned tobacco outright just like alchohol during prohibition. It's just another move in the chess game that American politics has become. They use manipulation tactics instead of taking any real action. And still take control over more aspects of our life every day.......

Latest posts