Kansas Prairie hay

Help Support CattleToday:

If your looking for hay they made some good hay around Alverado/Ft worth last month. You might check Craigs list for that area.

Shanghai":2xh2zt0m said:
Kansas Prairie hay
Being from west Texas this is new to me.
What would the approximate nutritional value be of said hay ?

My Dad told me how to check prairie hay to see if it was any good. He said to take a swatch of hay tie it in a knot if the grass will break then it is okay. If it will not break then no good.

hurleyjd":2c254suk said:
Shanghai":2c254suk said:
Kansas Prairie hay

My Dad told me how to check prairie hay to see if it was any good. He said to take a swatch of hay tie it in a knot if the grass will break then it is okay. If it will not break then no good.

How does tying hay in a knot determine the nutritional value of the hay?

Are you demonstrating a method to determine if the hay is ready to bale?

D2Cat":18d2h5xj said:
hurleyjd":18d2h5xj said:
Shanghai":18d2h5xj said:
Kansas Prairie hay

How does tying hay in a knot determine the nutritional value of the hay?

Are you demonstrating a method to determine if the hay is ready to bale?

If the grass would break in the knot it was easier for the cows to digest. No breakage then the way was very wiry and not digestible. I am just guessing here I never thought to ask the question of my Dad that you just asked me I just took him at his word.

High quality prairie hay is the only good thing about Kansas. As Josey Wales said, Kansas is full of sunshine, sunflowers and suns of bitches. A cow gets more nutrition out of one mouth full of warm season prairie grass, than all day grazing cool season pasture. Or so they say in Nebraska.

Latest posts