Justifying a second tractor......

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I have batted the idea around off and on for a several years. How many people can justify 2 tractors for a small cow calf operation? 30 cows or so and doing all your own hay Last year did 40 acres or so of hay off the farm and sold some. When it comes to baling it would be nice to have 2, one hooked to the baler and the other to rake even if I am by myself. One issue I have had when doing hay off the farm is loading at one farm and unloading at home, been doing some hay with a neighbor so had his tractor to help with that some, but this year I think he wants to give up a farm we had leased together for hay. I have averaged about 200 hours a year on one tractor, borrowed one a few times to help out. Really would be convenient but not sure I can make it pencil out even on a used tractor.
Any thoughts or advice?

It'd be hard to justify two loader tractors. I bought an 8n a year and a half or so ago. For no bigger than it is, it's been handy raking hay.

Bigfoot":3p6fppkx said:
It'd be hard to justify two loader tractors. I bought an 8n a year and a half or so ago. For no bigger than it is, it's been handy raking hay.
I bought a heavily used 30 horse kubota w a loader cheap and use it for raking and working in small areas that the bigger tractor just doesn;t work

It is hard to justify a lot of things on the farm, but necessity and convenience can help justify. A few years ago, I found what I think was a good deal on a used but well kept Case with a loader. I have found that having more than one tractor comes in handy, not having to unhook and switch equipment, also there is backup when one is in need of repair.

Bigfoot":1l8y8rh2 said:
I have to have a remote for hay rake. One of my biggest issues is moving hay from one farm to another when doing hay off the farm, about has to have a loader. I am talking about maybe a 50 hp tractor, nothing real big.

I pull rolls off the trailer with it, and a rope. I stack them when I get home. Necessity is sometimes the mother of invention. I feel ya on the needing a second tractor though. My kids are beginning to be big enough to help. It's tempting to get another tractor just for that.

Ky hills":18527sg7 said:
It is hard to justify a lot of things on the farm, but necessity and convenience can help justify. A few years ago, I found what I think was a good deal on a used but well kept Case with a loader. I have found that having more than one tractor comes in handy, not having to unhook and switch equipment, also there is backup when one is in need of repair.

My name is John, and I hate having to unhook and switch equipment. :oops:

I have 3 tractors in the hayfield in summer and another guy to help me. One tractor stays on the moco. One tractor on the rake. One tractor on the baler. Been trying to get my cousin to help on the rake whenever she can, but she has so many irons in the fire it hasn't happened yet.

So right or wrong, the convenience factor alone is worth it to me. One tractor pretty much gets the winter off now but it is still nice to have a spare on hand just in case in the dead of winter.

Neighbor uses one tractor at his place to feed. I keep a tractor here to keep my road clear. Probably average about 50 hours per year per tractor for hay operations. This season I actually put more hours on the snowblower than for any other purpose. 70 hours so far.

In winter of '96-'97 I put 300 hours on the tractor that sits now over winter between feeding and blowing snow. It is a bare tractor with no loader or dozer, and doesn't start the best anymore. But it has done it's share and deserves a little winter hibernation.

We were in the same predicamate as you a couple years ago. At first we would load the hay at one spot down the road and have a neighbor unload for us back at the barn, but if we were putting up hay at the same time it wouldn't work, so we started running the loader tractor back and forth to load and unload. That got to be pretty time consuming, so we got another loader tractor. It has been well worth it for the convenience and time it has saved us.

The real answer is can you afford it without going into debt. I bought a second 70 HP kubota loader tractor this year for most of the reasons mentioned on here. It was used and had a open cab. My hay meadow is 33 miles from my main farm so unloading hay has always been a problem. Also my neighbor who has a tractor is a jerk.
Anyway my thinking was that if I keep this used 20K tractor in good shape and under a shed, it really doesn't devalue much. It ain't a car. So how much does it actually cost me a year? In all actuality, not much. Maybe $500 a year plus maintenance. Lots of these mid-age tractors are selling pretty close to what they sold for new. The value decline curve on a well taken care of tractor is very flat.

If you can afford it, with out strapping yourself. It will save you a lot of time, and you must count your time for something. Be great if rain is coming maybe you could get someone to rake while you bale. Or if one is broken your no stuck with your hay down.

I'm in the same predicament as you. I want another tractor and will almost say that I "need" one. But want or need, somebody's still got to pay for it, so I haven't bit yet. But I'm looking. If I didn't have a 10 bale inline hay trailer that self unloads I would definitely have to own two tractors.

bird dog":1kn6srv3 said:
The real answer is can you afford it without going into debt. I bought a second 70 HP kubota loader tractor this year for most of the reasons mentioned on here. It was used and had a open cab. My hay meadow is 33 miles from my main farm so unloading hay has always been a problem. Also my neighbor who has a tractor is a jerk.
Anyway my thinking was that if I keep this used 20K tractor in good shape and under a shed, it really doesn't devalue much. It ain't a car. So how much does it actually cost me a year? In all actuality, not much. Maybe $500 a year plus maintenance. Lots of these mid-age tractors are selling pretty close to what they sold for new. The value decline curve on a well taken care of tractor is very flat.

The debt is what is stopping me. Got some already. The thing that got me to thinking is the availability of some low interest money at a slightly longer term, I could refinance what I owe and get enough for a tractor and be out the same per year, although a couple more years. The older I get the more debt scares me.

bird dog":1s6nlyib said:

I agree. If you can write a check do what ever you want.

You can't never have to many tractors, biggest problem is finding folks to ride them. There was a time changing implements was a chore in itself, all thats got better with newer equip. Years ago when my daughter was available more we would run 3, she would rake, id roll, my dad would load and move it as it came out of the roller, so loaders are a must around here. Now days mostly just me, dad can drive truck and trailer but thats about all I want him out doing. So I have figured out how to swap thing easier.
I'd buy new, you can get 0 intrest on most all of them, and for me like was mentioned before a good investment, unlike a car, bought one in 2006 sold it in 2011 for $3000 more than I paid, my all purpose bought in 2004 was offered more last year than I paid new. I do take care of them.

The only justification is simply getting the job done. Doesn't matter if you put out 1 bale a day or 10. If you think you need 2 tractors then you probably do.

shaz":mhlmibsy said:
The only justification is simply getting the job done. Doesn't matter if you put out 1 bale a day or 10. If you think you need 2 tractors then you probably do.
As I was told be a wise old man, "There's a big difference between a need and a want" R.C. Kirkendal

I have multiple because I hate hooking and unhooking too .. .Usually one keeps the mower on it one keeps rake one keeps the baler

As mentioned earlier......if moving hay from one place to another is your biggest issue, look at one of those inline hay haulers where you don't need a tractor on the other end.
I may get one of those myself.

Latest posts