Just wondering.

Help Support CattleToday:

inbredredneck

Reaction score
I thought instead of being my normal self, I would read lots and lots of posts without commenting or ridiculing the posters. Lord knows it took every bit of will power in me to keep my mouth shut after reading most posts. I went way back into 2008.

The one thing that really sticks out to me, is how many people are clueless about the prices for the product they raise. I'm truely shocked by how many posters have zero idea about the price history of their product. You can't imagine how many times I read "calf prices are always historically higher in the spring" um no they are not.

Marketing

Another thing that drives me crazy, is when I read responses to the question "when should I lock in my cattle". Thats easy, the first time you can make a profit, put the cattle, nowhere to go but up. But instead you will get a thousand answers stating "I wouldn't do anything I'd wait and see if they go up". Really? What if they go down, why piss away a profit. If they do go up you are in the same place either way, but if they go down well your looking for a job in town or bitching about the lower prices. Why gamble with your own money use theirs.

Veteranarians

Lets talk about Veteranarians, the only thing more damaging to the success of a cattle operation than a person who can't follow the markets, is an incompetent vet. A incompetent vet can cause you unimaginable financial wounds so easliy. We are all human, we all make mistakes, but if and when you feel something may not be right, question them don't just assume because they went to school for a crap load of years they are never wrong.

Salebarns.

So many times I read the dangers and stealing that go on in the sale barns. Really? So your cattle didn't bring what you thought they should have. How did you really know they didn't bring what they were worth? My kids are perfect, my neighbors kids are nasty, rotten, no good for nothing, don't listen, little weasles. However my neighbor, he thinks his kids are perfect, and that my kids are nasty, rotten, no good for nothing, don't listen, little weasles.

The true quality of cattle is in the eye of the beholder I guess, and also the guy writing the check when he buys them. If you think your cattle, really did bring less than they should have, buy them back and go elsewhere. Then I hear "I don't have time to sit all day and wait for my cattle to sell". Okay, if thats the case the cattle probably brought what they were worth. Blood, sweat, and tears went into raising them, but they aren't worth some more of your time to see it thru to the end? I have taken cattle back home from a salebarn before, granted I knew I could sell them for more money, direct to the packer beforehand, but so did the man buying for the packer. The man buying feeder cattle, he knows what he is willing to pay to make a profit, make him pay it.

Now here some questions, how many cattle men and women check the CME live cattle and feeder cattle prices daily?

How many check the cme for feedstuff prices?

How many of you actually know the historical times for higher feeder cattle and fat cattle prices?

How many of you actually have ever questioned a veteranarian?

How many of you have had to see your investment to the end and bought your cattle back at auction?

How many of you are willing to risk the entire investment in your cattle on gambling the market will go higher, but will not risk another $5 cwt to protect the entire investment?

I'd say you did a pretty good job of Not being your normal self. You should try it more often :lol: :tiphat:

skim-reading three years worth of posts might just miss something on the way past :D
The thread you refer to about not getting the expected price was about cull dairy cows. Some of the respondents had noted that fact, some hadn't. I personally believe that if the OP (as an experienced farmer) said they were healthy, fat cattle then she was correct.

You make good points. And I also agree with your assessment of how the human brain works, though not in full agreement with your application of that principle.
Didn't notice you missing btw, how many minutes did it take you to read and ponder all those threads?

regolith":37hte0ov said:
skim-reading three years worth of posts might just miss something on the way past :D
The thread you refer to about not getting the expected price was about cull dairy cows. Some of the respondents had noted that fact, some hadn't. I personally believe that if the OP (as an experienced farmer) said they were healthy, fat cattle then she was correct.

You make good points. And I also agree with your assessment of how the human brain works, though not in full agreement with your application of that principle.
Didn't notice you missing btw, how many minutes did it take you to read and ponder all those threads?

The expected price comes up fairly often with ALL classes of cattle! The other one that comes up often is someones beef was switched at the slaughterhouse :cowboy: A lot of producers think that they have never fed a beef that was not at the top of the chart.

I was just wondering how you make post that you don't know the facts about. Historically the feeder prices are higher in the spring, at least in the south, and I don't care how you do it up north. I pulled the receipts for the last 5 years here, and in 09 the price was higher in the fall. The other 4 years the price was higher in the spring, and by 10.68 matter of fact. Right now this year, do you really think the price is going to be lower this spring than it is right now?? We can check it out April 1st. and see who the fool is.

highgrit":co48orq6 said:
I was just wondering how you make post that you don't know the facts about. Historically the feeder prices are higher in the spring, at least in the south, and I don't care how you do it up north. I pulled the receipts for the last 5 years here, and in 09 the price was higher in the fall. The other 4 years the price was higher in the spring, and by 10.68 matter of fact. Right now this year, do you really think the price is going to be lower this spring than it is right now?? We can check it out April 1st. and see who the fool is.
Better yet, what do you say we let history tell us the historical prices?

highgrit":3j1warmw said:
By the way a year has 365 days and 4 seasons atleast up north. ;-)

regolith":1syolgew said:
Took me the better part of the last three weeks. Inbetween checking markets of course.

inbredredneck":u6sd71qs said:
regolith":u6sd71qs said:
Took me the better part of the last three weeks. Inbetween checking markets of course.
What else are you supposed to do with no cows and it's but ass cold?

hooknline":3r9i8348 said:
inbredredneck":3r9i8348 said:
regolith":3r9i8348 said:
Actually not real cold, we get an open winter once every 20 years, and I pick this one to stay empty.

hooknline":3psw1cnn said:
We hit 83 Friday. Crazy winter
Some of my family returned to Tampa today on a cruise, said the weather was beautiful, however the boat not so much, tugboats pulled her into port.

hooknline":19mpt60r said:
inbredredneck":19mpt60r said:
regolith":19mpt60r said:
Look for a fat girl for warmth and a windbreak. :cowboy:

IBRN I had a file from last year that included historical data from cattle fax. That report went back to the 50s and the graph showed May as the highest month for feeders historically by quite a bit. Unfortunately I cannot find the file as we just moved. I dang sure don't know all there is to know and would like to hear your take on the report and what you know about what IS the highest month.

Isomade":3eax3xlh said:
IBRN I had a file from last year that included historical data from cattle fax. That report went back to the 50s and the graph showed May as the highest month for feeders historically by quite a bit. Unfortunately I cannot find the file as we just moved. I dang sure don't know all there is to know and would like to hear your take on the report and what you know about what IS the highest month.
Isomade I posted a link to the actual closings of feeder cattle for the years 1971 thru 2011. I'm not gonna say what month is the highest, but it isn't spring.

inbredredneck":29iz0dht said:
Isomade":29iz0dht said:
Isomade I posted a link to the actual closings of feeder cattle for the years 1971 thru 2011. I'm not gonna say what month is the highest, but it isn't spring.
Yea, I found that after my post. I have looked at 12 different years and there doesn't seem to be a set pattern. Looks like one is wise to watch the markets daily. None the less, what would be your reason for not saying?

Isomade":35j1o1bm said:
None the less, what would be your reason for not saying?
Because it is so random, it would take me some time to nail it down to a specific month. But one thing is for sure Spring is not the high. Some will say well this is futures not live sales, yes however one moves with the other. Do you see why my head spins when I hear people say markets are higher in the spring?

I just wished we the people who pour our heart and souls into this thing we call raising cattle, would put as much effort into marketing them as they do raising them. We let the boys in chicago make money on something we bled for?

inbredredneck":1cpbpyrf said:
Isomade":1cpbpyrf said:
None the less, what would be your reason for not saying?
Because it is so random, it would take me some time to nail it down to a specific month. But one thing is for sure Spring is not the high. Some will say well this is futures not live sales, yes however one moves with the other. Do you see why my head spins when I hear people say markets are higher in the spring?

I just wished we the people who pour our heart and souls into this thing we call raising cattle, would put as much effort into marketing them as they do raising them. We let the boys in chicago make money on something we bled for?
In other words, one is a fool to rely on one single month every year for their livelyhood rather than keeping up with the market and doing everything you can to guarantee yourself a profit. Makes sence.

Latest posts