Just wondering if...

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
you've ever finished baling a field without having to roll a peewee roll. I finished baling one field today and just as I finished the last windrow when the bale alarm went off. I can't say this has ever happened to me before and was just wondering if you've ever lucked out like that.

Only once,I should have bought a lotto ticket that day.You might still have time to go get one.

I've sat and let one roll a little longer to tighten it up and then made an oversized one a time or two.

Which end of the field do you end up on. The near end or the far end? :lol: Seems like I always end up on the far end wether I'm cutting or baling.

1982vett":1idye94c said:
I've sat and let one roll a little longer to tighten it up and then made an oversized one a time or two.

Which end of the field do you end up on. The near end or the far end? :lol: Seems like I always end up on the far end wether I'm cutting or baling.

:lol2: Far end as usual. I did force a little extra in the bale though. The alarm went off with about three feet of windrow left. Normally I end up with some squat sized bale that the string won't even wrap. I gotta crawl up in there and stick the string in the roll so it will grab. Nothing broke today so I was charmed.

Not finished yet. Still have two more fields to go. Hay has about worn me out here lately. I still haven't moved two fields and this season's chores are beginning to overlap with next season's chores and I'm getting spread pretty thin.

I know what you mean about chores overlapping. I'm not having that problem this year. I just though if you were finished cutting hay, the rain might get bored and head back this way. :lol2: A cropduster was buzzing around a little east of here today so I guess someones got army worms or grasshoppers. I noticed some white tips on some grass blades Tuesday that looked more like iddy-biddy grasshopper work than army worms. Planted some oats last Friday and Saturday, one patch had a lot of volunteer oats and ryegrass coming up. Been kind of hot this week so I doubt it survived.

I don't look for it to happen again. It was a pleasant surprise though. Its those small little surprises that keep things ticking.

Jogeephus":28pb8m0a said:
Not finished yet. Still have two more fields to go. Hay has about worn me out here lately. I still haven't moved two fields and this season's chores are beginning to overlap with next season's chores and I'm getting spread pretty thin.

Tell me about it. I finished one field yesterday (without rolling a peewee roll!), and am about 1/2 way finished on my big field (with a 25" peewee roll). If the weather holds, I'm going to lay the rest of it down Saturday. Hay is tiring work...

grannysoo":2m02mfgu said:
Hay is tiring work...

Stressfull, yes but I enjoy doing it. Wouldn't want to do it everyday allday but when I do have hay to cut and bale I enjoy doing it. I guess it has to do with a sense of accomplishment.

Very rarely does it happen just right, but every now and then it does. I can cheat though, because if I am going to have a full bale before the end of the windrow, I can increase the size of the bale I am making on the go, and end up with a larger baler compared to a pee wee bale.

I also like having a few small round bales laying around to feed to just a few animals if they are penned up seperately for a short time.

hayins not a bad job if the machinery holds together...weather can't be helped but breakdowns and downtime when the weather is good drive me crazy.price of usin old iron I guess...

I do feel a sense of accomplishment when I bale hay and its not that bad when everything works like it should. However, I don't get any satisfaction from moving the hay which is probably why I detest moving hay so bad. If they would ease up on the DUI laws things might be different. I guess its equivalent to painting a house. How many painters do you know that don't drink? :lol2:

When I was a young man, just started my business I caught an old painter in a closet drinking Budweiser. I told him that we did not allow drinking on the job. He opened another bottle and said " Young man I have been painting for near fourty years and there is nothing that washes paint down better than cold Budweiser. I agreed and left. Tom :cboy:

1982vett":6nvgl9on said:
grannysoo":6nvgl9on said:
Hay is tiring work...

Stressfull, yes but I enjoy doing it. Wouldn't want to do it everyday allday but when I do have hay to cut and bale I enjoy doing it. I guess it has to do with a sense of accomplishment.

To me, it's tiring, but not stressful (provided that nothing major tears up!). It is tiring, but one of the most stress reducing jobs that I do. Don't ask me how or why it would be possible to enjoy baling hay in 100 degree weather with dust clouds swirling around, but it is.

My dad is 74 years old and gets on my a$$ if I try to do it without him. I do believe he loves it as much or more than I do. Must be a defect in our genes.

Jogeephus":1nt7btxo said:
However, I don't get any satisfaction from moving the hay which is probably why I detest moving hay so bad. If they would ease up on the DUI laws things might be different.

One great thing about my fields is the location. All but the one I bale for my brother join the farm. No highways to travel when moving hay, just private property and no public roads. Moving hay ain't bad when Bud and/or Jack can go along for the ride.

My favorite time to move hay is at night when a full moon is out. You can run without the lights and really see nature at its most beautiful.

grannysoo":214s6i8z said:
Jogeephus":214s6i8z said:
However, I don't get any satisfaction from moving the hay which is probably why I detest moving hay so bad. If they would ease up on the DUI laws things might be different.

One great thing about my fields is the location. All but the one I bale for my brother join the farm. No highways to travel when moving hay, just private property and no public roads. Moving hay ain't bad when Bud and/or Jack can go along for the ride.

My favorite time to move hay is at night when a full moon is out. You can run without the lights and really see nature at its most beautiful.

Now that does sound good. Might give it a try.

Latest posts