Just Right

Help Support CattleToday:

redlevel

Reaction score
I hit it just right with my winter grazing.

I sowed about five acres of ryegrass two days before the hurricane in early October. Broadcast it, with fertilizer, on harrowed ground and drug it with old tires. Got about 4.5 inches of rain from the hurricane. Drilled in 12 acres of rye the week after the hurricane.

Good seed, plenty of moisture, fertilizer, warm weather, got a real good stand. It hasn't stopped growing. I will probably let cows on some of the ryegrass middle of next week. We got between 6-8 inches of rain the last 10 days. Would like to let it dry out some before I let cows on it. I can limit graze, 2-3 acre paddocks with electric and permanent fence. I will probably let them graze a half day, then pull them off, keeping hay in front of them.

Would post some pictures if I knew how.

I'm going to sow more ryegrass in about 8 acres of pines, a thin "plantation stand." I had to buy $2000 of hay last March and April. Don't want todo that this spring.

redlevel":3tlcnfgx said:
I hit it just right with my winter grazing.

I sowed about five acres of ryegrass two days before the hurricane in early October. Broadcast it, with fertilizer, on harrowed ground and drug it with old tires. Got about 4.5 inches of rain from the hurricane. Drilled in 12 acres of rye the week after the hurricane.

Good seed, plenty of moisture, fertilizer, warm weather, got a real good stand. It hasn't stopped growing. I will probably let cows on some of the ryegrass middle of next week. We got between 6-8 inches of rain the last 10 days. Would like to let it dry out some before I let cows on it. I can limit graze, 2-3 acre paddocks with electric and permanent fence. I will probably let them graze a half day, then pull them off, keeping hay in front of them.

Would post some pictures if I knew how.

I'm going to sow more ryegrass in about 8 acres of pines, a thin "plantation stand." I had to buy $2000 of hay last March and April. Don't want todo that this spring.
https://postimages.org just load your images here and choose "hot link for forums " and you will get a full size image to up load

Latest posts