If only

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":e5b69h9y said:
ga.prime":e5b69h9y said:
JMJ Farms":e5b69h9y said:
Lots of times I have been watching the local news and we will be in a bad dry spell and the news anchors will say something to the extent of "they hope it doesn't rain today" bc of a baseball game, or festival, or an outdoor concert or whatever.
That's why I don't watch weather people, they invariably wish for no rain. I look online at 3, 5, and 7 day forecasts on UGA Weather and GFC Weather and doppler radar on Intellicast and Weather Channel.

I may have to check out Intellicast. I use the Weather Channel app daily as well but they frequently let me down. They usually nail the temps. And their rain forecast during the winter is usually real accurate. But where we live, with these hot summers, a thunderstorm can pop up out of nowhere. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that you've just got to go with your gut sometimes and take a chance when haying. Now I'm not gonna lay it down with a 90% chance of rain but I don't pay 60% or less much attention. You win some and lose some.

A late feller that that lived across the river used to bale hay for a living. He would say "you can't bale it if it ain't cut." I guess he was right but you better have a good tedder unless it's Bahia. Another neighbor cut down some millet a few years back. Took them two and 1/2 weeks to get it balled up.
And Brett said he's never planting millet for hay again. When I was building boats I always said if you wait on it to rain it will rain.

True Grit Farms":1pd6izmc said:
JMJ Farms":1pd6izmc said:
ga.prime":1pd6izmc said:
That's why I don't watch weather people, they invariably wish for no rain. I look online at 3, 5, and 7 day forecasts on UGA Weather and GFC Weather and doppler radar on Intellicast and Weather Channel.

I may have to check out Intellicast. I use the Weather Channel app daily as well but they frequently let me down. They usually nail the temps. And their rain forecast during the winter is usually real accurate. But where we live, with these hot summers, a thunderstorm can pop up out of nowhere. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that you've just got to go with your gut sometimes and take a chance when haying. Now I'm not gonna lay it down with a 90% chance of rain but I don't pay 60% or less much attention. You win some and lose some.

A late feller that that lived across the river used to bale hay for a living. He would say "you can't bale it if it ain't cut." I guess he was right but you better have a good tedder unless it's Bahia. Another neighbor cut down some millet a few years back. Took them two and 1/2 weeks to get it balled up.
And Brett said he's never planting millet for hay again. When I was building boats I always said if you wait on it to rain it will rain.

Best way to assure rain is to cut a hole in the top of someone's house with a 0% chance of rain. Leave it uncovered and go home and see what happens :shock: When we are doing anything involving a roof we never undo more than we can get redone before we leave.

You ever built any boats with Lou?

JMJ Farms":8rz2kogd said:
True Grit Farms":8rz2kogd said:
JMJ Farms":8rz2kogd said:

Best way to assure rain is to cut a hole in the top of someone's house with a 0% chance of rain. Leave it uncovered and go home and see what happens :shock: When we are doing anything involving a roof we never undo more than we can get redone before we leave.

Nope, after he quit commercial fishing he built boats more towards the recreational sector. Lou and I have been friends for 40 years. He's a really good guy for being a Yankee. Its hard to believe that 4 fishermen ended up within 20 miles of each other in middle Georgia.
Have you ever ran across Pompano Joe, or captain Joe? He's a real piece of work.

JMJ Farms":3u3nmojo said:
True Grit Farms":3u3nmojo said:
Nope, after he quit commercial fishing he built boats more towards the recreational sector. Lou and I have been friends for 40 years. He's a really good guy for being a Yankee. Its hard to believe that 4 fishermen ended up within 20 miles of each other in middle Georgia.
Have you ever ran across Pompano Joe, or captain Joe? He's a real piece of work.

Hahaha. Yeah ole Lou is ok. I don't know him as well as I do his nephew but I see and talk to him weekly at the builders supply. And I met Capt Joe a few years ago, around the time he built his house. Good friend of mine built it. Never got to know him good. He offered to take me out fishing but I never took him up on it.

JMJ Farms":3s9ver5l said:
JMJ Farms":3s9ver5l said:
True Grit Farms":3s9ver5l said:

Hahaha. Yeah ole Lou is ok. I don't know him as well as I do his nephew but I see and talk to him weekly at the builders supply. And I met Capt Joe a few years ago, around the time he built his house. Good friend of mine built it. Never got to know him good. He offered to take me out fishing but I never took him up on it.
Last I knew Joe was cutting fish for a friend of mine at his fish market. Your lucky you never went fishing with him, he's never had much of a boat. His best buddy is the one that told me he voted for our last President. I asked Jack to leave before I threw him out.

Latest posts