just wondering...bovine's night vision??

Help Support CattleToday:

If I'm checking on mine at night if I talk before I get to them they pretty much ignore me and don't even get up. Their flight distance goes down from about six feet to none. I kind of enjoy the peaceful atmosphere, when they are all laying in a big cluster ruminating and destroying the ozone with their burps.. :D

danl":ibxw7tln said:
If I'm checking on mine at night if I talk before I get to them they pretty much ignore me and don't even get up. Their flight distance goes down from about six feet to none. I kind of enjoy the peaceful atmosphere, when they are all laying in a big cluster ruminating and destroying the ozone with their burps.. :D
them ain't burps.....

I'm with the group satiating their cattle act different when I have to walk around them at night with a flashlight. I have very docile cattle and they know me very well, a simple call to them gets them pretty much where I want them during daylight hours. In the dark they are a bit more flighty and they keep me on my toes, I make sure they hear the sound of my voice at night before I go into the pasture.

Also the torch=flashlight got me thinking. We call it a flashlight here, but what is "flash" about it? No flash, it's a steady beam of light...torch makes a lot more sense.

Margonme":3n53l9v5 said:
Nesikep":3n53l9v5 said:
They know who you are by *everything* about you.. your smell, the sound of your walk, etc!.. Mega doesn't like my mother much.. she can be bribed with treats, but other than that she turns her nose up at my mother and walks a few paces off.. My mother has tried EVERYTHING to fool her, nothing works.. she's worn my clothes and smoked my cigarettes.. nope, she won't be fooled.
Also, cows have incomplete color vision, I think they have improved black/white vision which is important for low-light though.

I routinely walk through the herd at night with no trouble whatsoever.. in the summer it usually never gets 100% dark here so I know where I'm going without a flashlight... It has happened more than once that I tripped over a cow though!

That is funny. I went into a group of mine when I was breeding to check one's vulva for discharge. They were laying where I had the hay ring. I had moved the ring so they could use the waste hay to lay on. I got my feet caught and fell over the cow I was checking. It was dangerous because my head was in range if another cow got nervous and kicked while she was laying.

Let me get this straight
You went to check a cows vulva in the cover of darkness and just tripped and fell on the cow
It's your story tell like you want
:lol:

Alan":16ug5gbv said:
I'm with the group satiating their cattle act different when I have to walk around them at night with a flashlight. I have very docile cattle and they know me very well, a simple call to them gets them pretty much where I want them during daylight hours. In the dark they are a bit more flighty and they keep me on my toes, I make sure they hear the sound of my voice at night before I go into the pasture.

Also the torch=flashlight got me thinking. We call it a flashlight here, but what is "flash" about it? No flash, it's a steady beam of light...torch makes a lot more sense.
Early flashlights used a battery that was very short lived, and the bulbs nearly as bad. The inventor (predecessor of Eveready) gave his invention the name 'flashlight' because the light it made was brief. And, if you've ever seen an old carbon arc or carbon filament bulb go out, you know they do it with a bright flash..then total darkness. The first batteries didn't discharge at a steady voltage rate either..meaning the bulb would glow bright, then dim, then suddenly very bright. I remember seeing some of those old carbon/lead batteries when I was a kid.

Would someone tell Hollywood that flashlights have evolved? It's actually kinda funny that they "indicate" that the flashlight batteries have died by having the light flicker a few times before the darkness sets in

greybeard":oaukwf2r said:
Alan":oaukwf2r said:

Early flashlights used a battery that was very short lived, and the bulbs nearly as bad. The inventor (predecessor of Eveready) gave his invention the name 'flashlight' because the light it made was brief. And, if you've ever seen an old carbon arc or carbon filament bulb go out, you know they do it with a bright flash..then total darkness. The first batteries didn't discharge at a steady voltage rate either..meaning the bulb would glow bright, then dim, then suddenly very bright. I remember seeing some of those old carbon/lead batteries when I was a kid.

I think its because of the newer LEDS that have a brighter whiter light come to think of it . the older filament bulbs have a yellower light and I figure that's not as hard on them

greybeard":2uq9qnat said:
I never really thought much about it, but when they are up close to the house, I can hear my cows munching along the fence outside the yard. Can they actually 'see' what they are eating? Never hear them bumbling or stumbling into things in the dark either (like I do)..or walk right into a fence or tree on the darkest nights (like I've done)..
Just how good is a cow's night vision?
:?:

I always wondered the same but noticed some of my cattle if a dusk to dawn light is near at night they will go sleep not under it but near it enough you can see them well.

Cows have the same kind of membrane in their eyes as deer do that aids their night/dim light vision. That's why their eyes shine when you hit them with a light and humans don;t

i used to routinely walk through our cows at night during calving and AI seasons....

That was before coyotes and black buzzards became a problem....

was walking along looking and visiting with the girls late one night when out of the dark I heard a cow running....

she was coming at me....and she was coming hard....

I yelled at her and tried to jump aside and she stopped about two feet from me and then she recognized me...

it was one of the biggest pet cows in the herd and one of the herd bosses and one of my lead cows....

in her charge she got most of the others riled up and I was in the middle of all of them....lot of them were snorting and blowing snot just because she had been

I managed to make my way to the gate.....and on the way I decided that any more night checking would be done on the tractor....

these days if I have something that needs checking at night I bring em to the barn to what I use to call the maternity lot. little pasture right next to the barn.

greybeard":ei9raed0 said:
danl":ei9raed0 said:
them ain't burps.....
Is to burps... I found it on Huffington post so I know it must be right :)

actually the cow "burps" that mostly contribute to global warming more, although the "farts" cause problems as well.Because of how cows digest their food, they release a lot of methane through belching (and a smaller amount through farting), and nitrous oxide and ammonia in their manure.

Btw I don't believe in greenhouse effect from cows or anything I read in Huffington Post

I do realize that those sounds aren't just "burps" , but aware that this is a family forum, and would hate to corrupt someone. How about I say poots?????????