Just Starting Out: How does AI work?

Help Support CattleToday:

TheFurTrapper

Reaction score
Hello fellow farmers, I'm 16 and I work on a farm and am getting into cattle myself away from work. I'm looking at Artificially inseminating the couple cows I'll have but I'm not sure how it works exactly. It's one thing I've never watched the vet do at work when my boss does some.

Question 1: How long does the semen keep once it arrives from the supplier?
Question 2: What's the best way to tell when your cows are in heat so you have a rough idea of when to order semen?
Question 3: What's the conception rate using A.I? I know with swine it's about 92% but how about beef?

Thank's for all your help in advance!

AI in cattle is far different then pigs. Principle is the same but the mechanics are totaally different. Check youtube and see if there are any videos on AIing cattle. A decent tech should run in the 75-80 rnge first service conceptions. Heat detection can be almost a science in its self. If possible discuss it with your vet or attend an acredited AI school/training. The semen will keep indefinitly, but it has to be stored in a liquid nitrogen vessel.

1. If it is stored in liquid nitrogen, it will keep for as long as you keep the tank full. If taken out of the liquid nitrogen and not put back in right away (such as holding out longer than to move from shipper to tank) then it will last probably 10-15 minutes I believe...
2. Don't wait until the cows are in heat before you order semen. I figure 1.5 units of semen per cow of whatever bull I REALLY like, and then 1 unit per cow of the "back up" semen for the cows that don't catch on right away. Typically the "back up" bull is a terminal sire. Order the semen at least 3 weeks before you plan to need it, and even earlier if it is a really hot sire that may be in high demand. For us we have to tell our A.I. Tech what we want and then it comes the 2nd Tuesday after we order it. I'm sure it would be faster to order it online or by calling the distributor, but this way we don't pay for shipping and he takes care of putting it in LN2 right away. There are multiple signs of heat, most of which require you to watch the animals for at least 30 min morning and night. You can also go the route of Timed A.I.
3. I agree with dun, it should be 75-80% for an experienced tech.
I strongly suggest taking an A.I. course, because it will only take 2 days out of your time, and can greatly improve your success rates. Also, just saving a few units of semen and a few CIDR's and PG/GnRH shots will pay for the cost of the class quite rapidly.

Check with corporate offices for Genex, Accelerated, ABS, Select Sires and see if any of them have a rep that services your area. If they do, contact the rep and ask him/her about AI training. About twice a year the ABS rep puts on a school here, not sure about the others.

Hire it done the first year. That way you'll have results on hand to feed your excitement and someone with experience that will hopefully see your enthusiasm and respond by showing you how it works. If they don't, try someone else. You'll find someone that wants to turn the spark into a flame if you sniff around long enough. ;-)
Of the group that I work with(AI is a large part of my income), and there's about thirty of us in my area that represent the same company, I don't know of a single guy who has ever failed to take a sixteen year old under their wing and show them whatever they can if there was any kind of interest shown and AI is best learned by going out and doing it.

Yes I would like to learn how it's done, but I definetly will be hiring someone to do it the first time around, and probably each time after. Seems like it's what everyone does here.

Yay for teenage cow people :D

1. As shortybreeder said, as long as you keep it frozen in the liquid nitrogen, it'll keep pretty much indefinitely. You can order months in advance if you like.
2. Cows only come into standing heat (the heat you see) for about 12 hours. Maybe even less. This means that it's important to watch your cows 2-3 times a day for several minutes to observe for heat behaviour. On our farm, we do heat-spotting three times a day for half an hour each time with high success. There are also heat detectors on the market which work reasonably well; for problem cows we use KAMAR stickers. You just stick it on the cow's rump, where the chest of a mounting cow will rest, and if the cow is mounted enough then the sticker turns red.
The best is still to watch for heat behaviour, which can include the cow on heat doing the following:
- Mounting or licking others, or resting her head on their backs
- Being mounted by a lot of others and standing for them to do so. This is called standing heat and AI should take place no more than 12 hours later
- Calling
- Pacing
- She may have lick marks on her fur and chafe marks on her rump and hips where she's been mounted
- Restlessness
If you have to get somebody out to do the AIs for you, it might be best just to synchronise the cows - give them a hormone injection to bring them all on heat on the same day.
3. In my area 60% of cows conceiving on the first AI is considered the minimum reasonable rate. On our cows, my AI conception rate runs at 71-77%, but an experienced person will probably have it quite a lot higher (I've only been at it three or four years and only done a couple hundred as opposed to the several thousand that an experienced person has done). It also depends on a lot of other factors - feeding, reproductive health, and psychological stress experienced on the day of the AI.

Every one gave you GOOD advise>>>> wish you were in my area world love to help you learn and expand.... Hang in there it will work for you... Do not be afraid to ask questions,

Just got done with one and amazing how fast you can pick up the basics. See if you can find some friends to buy semen with they might let you go for free.

They gave high 60s low 70s for conception depending on the program you used but said most of it is not based on how you ai but your herd. If you have a strung out calving window you will be lower while if you have a short one you will probably be higher. Example he gave was a farm he did the air and the guy only retained heifers that stuck on ai and would sell anything the bull got. Overtime they now ai 80-90% on first service every year.

Latest posts