Just some simmentals at a show....

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We had our first fair of the year Saturday. The two kids took 9 head between the two of them. I thought I would share how they did.
First, it was a REALLY nice day, the weather was in the high 70's and a nice breeze. We set up our place, and unloaded the girls...(we had cattle on both sides of the trailer).
2nls7te.jpg

Then just as the show was about to begin, a HUGE storm formed... and everyone was told to take cover! We put the pop up tents away, and threw the cattle back in the trailer...
(sorry it is sideways.... we were in the truck waiting for the rain to pass....)
2prvec8.jpg

FINALLY! The rain left, and the sun came back out. This heifer is the heifer we bought from Ron, Bright Raven. She is a Sept Elevate x Uno Mas first calf heifer....
2ls8m15.jpg

There were 4 in the class, she ended up 3rd. Judge thought she was early maturing, and too muscular. She is the polar opposite of the other Sept heifer we are showing, who won the class. This picture has our two Sept calves side by side. The one in front is a Upperclass x Zsa Zsa (Jeanne cow). The judge used her first, however faulted her for being "frail".... I guess a new term, but lighter boned. The second heifer (the Elevate) did not want to stand, and was fighting my son the entire time. These little shows are great for getting them settled at these events...
21l20t2.jpg

Here is a better picture of the Upperclass that won, in the champion drive. We had to get help, since we had 4 in the champion drive, so one of my junior members showed her for us in the drive...
11immn9.jpg

This next one is a May Revival. She placed second, next to the champion simmental heifer.
97jk2v.jpg

Here is a pic of the class, with the black heifer in the 3 hole the winner of the class and champion SImmental. The red heifer was third.
68639s.jpg

This picture is of our March Bandwagon.... the only picture I got. She was placed 4th in a class of 6. The just said she was course for the class. She was the heaviest, and best structured, in my opinion.
j9wokw.jpg

This is another picture from the champion drive. The one in the front is my son's Elevate November purebred heifer, who also won her class, the one in the back is our Upperclass heifer.
v6lpg8.jpg

And this is our pair in the champion drive. The calf got lose and started nursing the cow, and sucked down her back quarters... so her udder looks like it is smaller in the rear quarter but it is not. She has a gorgeous udder. This cow is 2, has NOT had grain, neither the calf (the calf is sired by Optimizer). We just pulled them out of the pasture, clipped them up, and brought them. I think they did pretty good for just being thrown in the show string last minute!
30njdas.jpg

This was the only percentage we brought, and she was second. She is a November Cut Above (fat butt) out of a Beef Maker x Freedom angus cow. The heifer that beat her outweighed her by at least 300 pounds, and was several frame sizes bigger (you can see her rear in the picture, and how much bigger she is).
akc1u8.jpg

Kids came home with $90 in winnings, and some heifers that need more work before regionals and nationals! Great day for a show... on to the next one Saturday!

Princess looks good. Impressed with how you have brought her along. That is interesting-too mature and muscular! She is built like a Tank. Looks like Reina.

Great pics, Great cattle and I sure don't agree with the judge from what I see in the pics. It will be interesting to watch how the Elevate heifer develops.

Congrats! I can't wait for my little guy to get big enough to start showing. Are there a few female judges in your area? Not too many that I have seen up here.