Just Say No To $1 Cheeseburgers

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
A professional farmer redefines the term 'Value Meal'

In 1996, I returned from college to my family's farm and found it in complete shambles. My parents had given up on ever making a profit from farming, and had taken jobs in the city to make ends meet. Our crops of corn and cattle barely covered our production costs, and the land didn't generate enough profit for us to even buy our own food. Our family farm, just like thousands of others across the country, was undeniably broken.

Now, nearly 20 years later, we've turned our farm around. We raise grass-finished beef, and sell it directly to customers at farmers' markets. Because I sell my food directly to the public, I'm constantly asked: "Why is organic food so expensive?" This is an understandable question, especially because 'conventional' beef at the grocery stores is so much cheaper by comparison. But in order to understand why one type of beef is more 'expensive,' we should first examine why the other meat is so 'cheap.'

There are two major types of beef available to the American consumer: grain-fed and grass-fed. Although most beef cattle in the United States are born onto pasture, at around six to nine months of age, nearly all these animals are sold at a livestock auction. Once sold, they are shipped to confinement feedlots, primarily in the Midwest, where they are fed corn, soybeans and -- as a result of their nearly pure-grain diet -- antibiotics. It requires an eye-popping six pounds of grain to produce a single pound of beef. These animals live out their days on concrete, in total confinement, with no access to pasture.

In contrast, grass-fed animals usually remain on the farm where they were born. After being weaned from the momma cow, the calves eat pasture for the rest of their lives, gaining an average of two pounds a day. Because a diet of grass doesn't cause the digestion difficulties associated with grain feeding, farmers rarely need to use antibiotics.

Although both systems ultimately produce 'beef,' the differences between the two models is stark. In the grain-fed model, "volume" is king. Efficiencies are captured through 35,000 head feedlots, colossal grain transportation infrastructures, and slaughterhouses geared to handle thousands of cattle per day. And because volume and speed are paramount in this system, transparency is largely unavailable to the consumer. As a recent example, most Americans didn't know that 'Pink Slime' (ammonia protein slurry) was routinely added to ground beef, reducing the fat-to-lean ratio.

In the grass-fed model, "sustainability" trumps all other considerations. The farmer's job is to help transform sunshine and rain into nutritious pasture, creating a closed-loop system that requires no grain or chemical amendments. By grazing grass, the farm is essentially an enormous living solar panel.

But because this type of farming requires oversight in all aspects of production, the farmer must become a jack-of-all-trades, and 'vertically integrate' his operation (for more on this, see my upcoming blog "Why my Farm is like an Episode of 30 Rock"). To illustrate this point, allow me to share some basic production numbers from my own grass farm.

To raise one grass-finished steer requires two full years. It starts with a momma cow, who has a calf. My cost (spread over land taxes, salaries, hay, etc.) to keep a momma cow is $350 annually. Keeping a bull is also $350. And it costs -- you guessed it -- $350 to raise the calf. That's $1,050 dollars for year one.

In year two, it takes an additional $350 to raise the steer. Come harvest time, it costs $50 to haul to the butcher, $300 in butchering fees, another $50 to get the meat home. It takes another $50 in refrigeration to keep the product cold. By the time I drive to farmers markets, pay for gasoline, tolls and market fees, another $50 gets tacked on. Add in modest advertising, vehicle depreciation, and salaries for helpers at farmers' market, and the total works out to a nice, round $2,000.

We're not finished yet. An 1,100 pound steer yields roughly 38 percent of its body weight in product, which leaves about 420 pounds of meat. Because nearly 40 percent of this comes in the form of ground beef, the numbers are heavily skewed towards a lower-priced products. By contrast, highly-prized filet mignon only comprises one percent of the animal. In order to break even, my minimum average price must be $4.78 per pound ($2,000 divided by 420 lbs). To add a modest profit of 10 percent (my family's paycheck), the number rises to $5.25/lb. Suffice to say, there are dozens of economic variables priced into a single pound of grass-fed ground beef.

This information isn't intended to persuade consumer buying habits. Instead, it leads us to a greater question: how can we really know what's 'expensive' or 'cheap' until we recognize that grass-fed and grain-fed beef are distinctly different products?

Producing grain-fed beef propelled my family's farm to the brink of bankruptcy. Grass-farming saved it. I learned the hard way that I can't raise a $1 cheeseburger and simultaneously pay my bills. Believe me, I tried.

Though it's technically more expensive, my customers at farmers market find value in the kind of farming I do. They respect our transparent growing practices, and the fact that they can visit the farm whenever they choose. They appreciate that no hidden ingredients are added to our meat. And they're convinced that paying an extra dollar or two is well worth it to keep a family farm in business for yet another generation.

This is precisely the type of 'value meal' that defies economic sensibilities, yet hints at a hopeful, more sustainable future for farming. Now more than ever, consumers have the opportunity to broaden our food conversation, and consciously affect the landscape just beyond the horizon.

Forrest Pritchard is a seventh generation farmer from the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. His first book Gaining Ground, A Story of Farmers' Markets, Local Food and Saving the Family Farm was named a Top Ten read for 2013 by Publishers Weekly.

A friend sent me that article asking about the arithmetic. Anybody have any thoughts about the numbers he presents to make his argument? One thing I agree with 100% is that the hobby guy needs to learn what vertical markets are and become more engaged with how their "product" is represented in the marketplace. Hot Tails restaurant in New Roads sells $25 hamburgers all day long madefrom local grass fed beef. Most of the top dollar restaurants in New Orleans buy their beef from local grass fed hobby ranches. Finally, Whole Foods just cut a deal with Lasater Beefmasters for an all grass fed beef product in their stores...

They now have a restaurant in New Roads and it actually sells something besides mud bugs??? My but things have grown since I was there in the late 70s :D

There are so many "ifs" involved in raising pure grass fed beef it would be hard for most to plan for all of it, thus also difficult to plan the math. Drought, flood, army worms, hay shortages--it would be tough, tho most of us are raising "mostly" grass fed, meaning our cattle are on grass while they are in our possession--a little feed to keep them "friendly" being the exception here at my place, but I don't claim to have 100% grass fed.

I'd like to see someone go to a store, buy or price 1lb of every cut of beef (including 75% lean hamburger, cold cuts, and beef hot dogs) and then average it out to see what the retail consumer is actually paying for the conventional non-grass fed beef. I suspect it has been done by someone, but I just haven't seen it.
I just sell on-the-hoof at the salebarn or to individuals, so I won't be much help here other than bumping this up for ya.

JWBrahman":vfcx19np said:
A friend sent me that article asking about the arithmetic. Anybody have any thoughts about the numbers he presents to make his argument? One thing I agree with 100% is that the hobby guy needs to learn what vertical markets are and become more engaged with how their "product" is represented in the marketplace. Hot Tails restaurant in New Roads sells $25 hamburgers all day long madefrom local grass fed beef. Most of the top dollar restaurants in New Orleans buy their beef from local grass fed hobby ranches. Finally, Whole Foods just cut a deal with Lasater Beefmasters for an all grass fed beef product in their stores...

Yep and all the hot dogs at The Ballpark at Arlington use nothing but "Nolan Ryan All Beef Franks". Wonder where ol' Nolan gets all that beef?? for all those weenies.

I agree with a lot of what he says, though I don't have the "to market" costs that he does because I sell mine bulk to individuals.
I don't agree with bashing conventionally raised beef by using terms like "pink slime".
As I understand it "pimk slime" is nothing more than trimmings with the fat mechanichaly removed leaving very lean beef.(My scant rsearch of LFTB says nothing of amonia use)
Using derrogatory terminology invented by people who are against all forms of animal harvesting is not good for anyone involved in what we do.
That said, the beef that I am raising now on grass is some of the best I have ever had....to me.
I pay extra for salad with my steak because I hate Iceburg lettuce and prefer leaf lettuce. I don't need the lettuce farmer to justify his costs to me, I am willing to pay extra because I like it.
My customers started with me probably because of the media bashing of feedlot beef, and beef in general. They have stayed with me because I try to raise the best product I can.
It does cost more to raise "grass fed" because every day you own an animal it costs you money. You own them for a longer period of time, so you have more in them.
Quantity cuts costs but you can't raise feed lot numbers on grass so grassfed will never achieve cost efficiency of feed lots so will always cost more to produce.
It ain't right, it ain't wrong, it just is.

When the term "pink slime" was originally coined to describe LFTB, what I read stated citric acid was used to kill possible bacterial growth.
Just looked it up again and more than a few sources say ammonia is uesd as well.
I stand corrected.
Why would processors set themselves up for this kind of abuse when the job could be done with more acceptable practices like citric acid?
I'm about through trying to defend them.

Hey JoJo if you read this, remember a couple of months go we were talking about Greenies and I said I feared the beef industry had already been infiltrated by those looking to tear apart anything they don't believe in? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83765

Pretty good example.

Oh, and if you don't like your beef to be exposed ammonia then eat carrots, or do it yourself because every slaughter plant (even local) use ammonia at their plant.

It sounds like you have found a very good way to market your beef that works well for your family. Congratulations on this. There are many ways to grow and market beef to direct and specific markets and I applaud anyone who is able to be successful at this. However, there is a small percentage of the public who can afford to or will pay extra for specialized beef. The vast majority need something that they can afford to buy. I strongly disagree with anyone bashing people raising beef and providing beef for the tables of people at a price they can afford to buy. As for the "pink slime", that was a term coined by anti beef people to try to taint the beef industry in their war to eliminate the beef farmer and provide for the socialization of this country by regulating and stealing private property rights until they have bankrupted the private landowners, so the government will be providing for everyone and everyone will be dependent upon the governement. The cuttings and trimmings that were termed "pink slime" were treated so that there were no bacteria, so they were among the safest food there was to eat. If you don't want ammonia, other cleansers, or nuclear blasts added to your food, then stay away from fresh fruits and vegetables. Also, stay away from canned food and all processed food. Pork, poultry, and fish can add up to 25 percent liquid without listing it and they all have to be cooked to a high temperature to "kill the bacteria". So, beef is still the safest food and just because you have found a very good way to market it and I applaud you for it, don't condemn those who also provide beef for people who are less fortunate monetarily. Remember the immortal words of Willie Nelson (during an ecoli epidemic) after being arrested for having a sack full of marijuana "Good thing it wasn't spinach, or I would have been dead by now"

Stocky I didn't write the article. Fellas, everybody knocks everybody else no matter what you do, that's business

greybeard":3eig7ihw said:
They now have a restaurant in New Roads and it actually sells something besides mud bugs??? My but things have grown since I was there in the late 70s :D

There are so many "ifs" involved in raising pure grass fed beef it would be hard for most to plan for all of it, thus also difficult to plan the math. Drought, flood, army worms, hay shortages--it would be tough, tho most of us are raising "mostly" grass fed, meaning our cattle are on grass while they are in our possession--a little feed to keep them "friendly" being the exception here at my place, but I don't claim to have 100% grass fed.

I'd like to see someone go to a store, buy or price 1lb of every cut of beef (including 75% lean hamburger, cold cuts, and beef hot dogs) and then average it out to see what the retail consumer is actually paying for the conventional non-grass fed beef. I suspect it has been done by someone, but I just haven't seen it.
I just sell on-the-hoof at the salebarn or to individuals, so I won't be much help here other than bumping this up for ya.
Thanks Greybeard, we have almost five red lights now.

i also raise and had at one time sold grass fnished beef. mine is more marketed as natural..
but as stated above..very hard to please everyone and be cost effective..everyone wants steaks,, or they want cuts that yield lower take home percentages...
with th prices at todays salebarn i have found it harder to make a profit below the 4$/lb mark on a half avg about 600 on the rail.
it seems hard to believe but when can haul a 500lber to the barn and make 1.40/lb i can only justify the costs for my own use. slaughter fee/butcher fee/time exp/travel exp as well as added cost to raise a steer to 1100 lbs takes about 20-22 mos here.
people dont really understand it all so they want cheap...and 90% of america shops with thier wallet...hence the success of walmart

dieselbeef":fylabmgo said:
i also raise and had at one time sold grass fnished beef. mine is more marketed as natural..
but as stated above..very hard to please everyone and be cost effective..everyone wants steaks,, or they want cuts that yield lower take home percentages...
with th prices at todays salebarn i have found it harder to make a profit below the 4$/lb mark on a half avg about 600 on the rail.
it seems hard to believe but when can haul a 500lber to the barn and make 1.40/lb i can only justify the costs for my own use. slaughter fee/butcher fee/time exp/travel exp as well as added cost to raise a steer to 1100 lbs takes about 20-22 mos here.
people dont really understand it all so they want cheap...and 90% of america shops with thier wallet...hence the success of walmart
Thank you Dieselbeef for answering the question.

An example of vertical markets:
Rich man from Baton Rouge paid $20,000 an acre for the 50 acres next to me. He owns a produce/restaurant supply business as well as a few restaurants. Now he is raising his own grass fed beef. Same fella is sniffing around the neighborhood looking for places to grass finish steers.

On the Gulf Coast we have been leaving money on the table for years targeting your cow calf operations strictly for the midwestern feedlots. We need to play to our strengths down here. We have grass, lots of it, high quality, and pretty much year round. From East Texas to the Florida Keys we could be the world's leader in grass fed genetics and packaged beef. Them yanks have been playin us for suckers for dang near two hunnerd years.

CMF1, wish you would have chimed in on your operation and costs. Most people have no experience with a high intensity grass fed operation inside of a large urban area on small acreage, myself included. You are a good example of the kind of efficiency we need to utilize out here in the country to be competitive.

These number simply do not work for me.

To raise one grass-finished steer requires two full years. It starts with a momma cow, who has a calf. My cost (spread over land taxes, salaries, hay, etc.) to keep a momma cow is $350 annually. Keeping a bull is also $350. And it costs -- you guessed it -- $350 to raise the calf. That's $1,050 dollars for year one.

In year two, it takes an additional $350 to raise the steer. Come harvest time, it costs $50 to haul to the butcher, $300 in butchering fees, another $50 to get the meat home. It takes another $50 in refrigeration to keep the product cold. By the time I drive to farmers markets, pay for gasoline, tolls and market fees, another $50 gets tacked on. Add in modest advertising, vehicle depreciation, and salaries for helpers at farmers' market, and the total works out to a nice, round $2,000.

VanC":2rcm7wog said:
Anyone who catches me eating a $25 hamburger has my permission to shoot me in the head.

I have an incredible customer who gets 12.95 for an 8oz burger made with ground sirloin butts from Swift in Neb. They are worth every penny but 25 dollars for a grassfed burger is about the dumbest thing i have ever heard and i have been selling beef in boxes to restaurants for 30 years!

3waycross":1n40wyy8 said:
These number simply do not work for me.

Thanks 3way. They seemed really high to me, too.

VanC":2h3g4phk said:
Anyone who catches me eating a $25 hamburger has my permission to shoot me in the head.
VanC, you should have seen the look on my face when I took my wife there for her birthday.

Latest posts