Just my observation

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I have looked close at my herd's fleshing abality and overall general BCS hard over the last couple of years. I have noticed the following and would like to see if any of you have the same views:
Cattle look there best obviously on lush green grass. During this years drought, no matter what or how much I supplement tham some of the cows have declined in BCS. I have about 75% of my herd that I have culled and they retain top BCS all year round. But the recips,comercial cows and the harder keeping cows have lost BCS. I am not saying that commercial cows lose BCS, but that my lower end cows that have not been culled through look worse than my cows that have been culled.
My point I am trying to make is I feel that contradictory to previous statments of mine, that grass not protien blocks,supplement feed, or even good hay keeps the harder keeping cattle in good flesh. I have spent a lot of money this summer trying to keep all my cows in good flesh. my top cows stay in great shape no matter what the conditions. I feed free choice protein blocks year round. I am not sure that my money on supplementing is not better spent on better grass and hay improvments. We get some rain this summer and I rotate my pastures and when I can turn them on good grass they all come right back in shape. none of the supplementing has done this. AM I wrong in this assumption. I think I will spend the thousands of dollars I have been spending on protein blocks and feed for pasture improvment for time that are bad like this year.
I also feel that creep feeding helps the calves and cows when there isn't as much for the mom to be eating. It helps take some of the requirement off the mother and helps the calf with their full growth potential. This year I have been feeding hay almost all summer due to the dryest summer on record in my county.

i dont really think creep feeding helps out the cow any. yeah, it helps the calf grow bigger but the calf still keeps drinking the same amount of milk and the cow keeps producing the same amount if she is capable. thats just my opinion on that topic.

plbcattle,

How correct you are...spend the money on pasture where ever possible.

We find cows do better when seasons and situations allows us to set aside and winter graze as much as we can. Less work also.

Summer grazing is the reason we prefer spring calving...better on mom and she is.... cheaper keeping... while raising a good calf. She will enter the winter period with more flesh while carrying a new baby.

i think that creep feeding a calf helps the mother out a lot. a calf can only intake so many calories per day. if you are filling in part of those feed requirments with grain. the mother will have to supply less milk to that calf. a calf won't eat 1-2% of it's body weight in creep feed and consume the same amount of milk.

I don't know what creep feeding does, if it reduces milk consumption or they eat less grass, but it adds weight to the calves and if you grow your own corn, like us, you getting more out of it putting it through the calf than putting it through the elevator. The other thing I like about it is we creep with the same feed we wean them with. I like that alot. One less stress for the calf. They are eating what they are fimilar with.

I definitely agree. By adding legumes to your pasture for higher protein yeilds to your cattle, and nitrogen to the soil, which feeds the grass. Dung beetles bury the manure which feeds the soil, which the grass utilizes as nitrogen. It also adds humus to the soil. Manure buried also brings in earthworms which feed the soil and grass. Earthworm casings are very good for the soil and the grass. The worms and beetles provide aeriation of the soil without destroying the ground. With all this, when taking soil samples for broadcasted fertilizer, you will use less which will show up in your pocketbook. Feeding the soil is as important as feeding the forage growing. This is a good cycle in pasture management.

Great explanation of the process Chuckie. Well stated and to the point.

It's good to be reminded of this process every once in a while,,,since i tend to forget that all of this is going on underneath the soil,,without a bit of help from me,,,lol,,

Good ol mother nature is bout the best worker i have on my place. 8)

Interesting post plbcattle. Here's some of my thoughts.

You can't beat good forage for nutrition overall, but some cows are even going to look bad on decent forage for many reasons (ie: parasites, mineral deficiency, heavy milking ability and breeding pressures, and health and age issues).

There is allot to be said for good fresh water too! Some of my tanks are dried up and some are looking real bad. I am providing good clean water in the pastures I can and the cows are drinking it over the stock tanks. Parasites swarm in warm water which is becoming less and less fresh.

Pulling calves off heavy milkers early will save a good cow in heavy stress conditions, and allow her to recoup rapidly. Instead of supplementing suckling calves, try separating them from their mothers for the day at about 2 months of age, then put them back with them at night. This will make a tremendous difference on both mom and babies ability to use available forage to it's best potential, and help them flesh easier, and even slick off!. The separation plan and cooperation from the mothers is the hard part!.. :)

Supplementing in a bad year won't prevent cattle from grazing close to the dirt, and that is where they are going to pick up the parasites. (heck they are going to pick it up from somewhere anyway..water, hay, ground) Grass which is not overgrazed is healthier, and gives the animals the ability to select the best from what there is to offer. Improper supplimentation with creep and feed can cause the microorganism's it the gut to get all out of wack, and make a animal lose it's apetite, or look bad. I don't creep feed, and it may affect my weaning weights, but my end result if differnet then just sale barn calves. Not to say I don't put some in the sale barn.. ;-)

Cattle on grass and hay will usually have a "mild" bloat going on anyway, (making them appear fleshier) and they will look good until you screw it up by supplementing them improperly and taking the neceassary balance out of their stomachs. Iv'e seen cattle that don't look to bad in the pasture, come in and get feed for a while and really start looking worse..for a period at least... :D

Other problems could be associated with an animals teeth, age, and wheter or not they are going through the two year slump! (tooth loss). Grass is the key. If you have good pasture, provide some mineral, have good water, treat for parasites, and vaccinate to keep your cattle healthy you pretty much got it whipped. Then you just cull the problem cattle in that environment!

I gunna stop...too much typing..hope this helps.

Great observations. My only comment I might add. I don't purchase protein blocks, ever. If the cows are needing a supplement, I put out corn or barley. The amount I feed will depend on forage conditions. I've had more success and I'm able to regulate it better.

chuckie,

Excellent details of a natural process.

Your type of post is the reason for spending time on these boards.

Truely a professional herdsman reflected.

Latest posts