Just how wild is a Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

I came up with a crude version of the "flight zone" when I was about 11... Told my dad I had a theory that there was this bubble around the cow that if you put pressure on a certain spot then it would make a cow move a certain direction... Got to college and the "flight zone" seemed to be this wonderful revolutionary concept that blew people's minds... Guess common sense isn't so common...

They generally are a one or 2 person animal. I have had several reg brahman cattle. Have one reg cow raised here as twin, and 2 f-1's . I like them, but with my facilities and age that is all I want. The 3 are leaders, first ones when called, first to move to a new pasture, and the first to leave the pen. The brahman cow will look me up to scratch her and the other 2 will eat out of your hand. When working time comes, they are a little nervous. I like to work them first if possible, makes things a lot simplier. The f-1's (british white) and (simmental) are the most sponky.
If they were average cows or raised an average calf, or were real wild, they'd be gone. But, they're not. They raise great calves, stay in condition, and anybody who likes bovine would like these.

I'd not reccomend them to first timers or someone with less than average working facilities. But for a young, patient person with good working arrangments they can be tops. Especailly the F-1. Patience and spending time walking in the herd pays dividends.

Shorty,
Back when I was in vet school, the school had a small herd of crossbred beef cattle that served as 'palpator' animals for the students to learn/practice on - most were black with some Brahman influence...Brangus/Beefmaster or BrahmanXHolstein. Had to put most of 'em in the chutes...but there was one big ol' Brangus-lookin' cow that would just stand out in the lot, and let any number of vet students 'arm' her - seemingly without a care in the world. She was a world apart from the little yellow Hereford cow that would squeeze your arm off.
Don't have any 'ear' in my cattle here...but I still like the look...

I saw a tiger striped cow with big ears and a big dewlap with about a three week old calf hold up a salebarn here for about two hours. Guy offloaded her and her calf, and she was not happy. They got her into an isle and nobody was quick enough to get the gates latched behind her. Nothing but dust and snot and people climbing fences. She was climbing the walls trying to get to people. They weren't used to those, that's for sure. It's all about "flight reflex". Horses can be pretty doggone flighty, but it doesn't mean they are not tame. Two entirely different things.

They used to have a salebarn out of Winnie Texas about 90% of what came through were Tigers.
Most of them that were caught off that Salt Grass the first time they saw a man was being put in the trailer.
The second time at the salebarn. Now they were set up for these girls but it was an entertaining sale to attend.

Many good points have been made regarding Brahman cattle.

I would also like to add that they are the most ATHLETIC cattle you will find. And yes, a very good memory of every thing you ever did wrong. Which is why they are not for beginners. Or for people with weak facilities for handling them.

Mine are gentle as kittens with me all day long. Until a stranger drives up ....and then they turn into fools.

They take a while to get used to a new dog, too.

I bought a 5 year old Brahman cow at the salebarn a few months ago. She was wild as a March hare. Jump and run like a deer. Take off and leave the herd running for the farthest corner. It has taken her about 4 months, but she has settled down this winter and figured out who feeds the cows and that I'm not going to eat her up. I don't think she had ever really been around people much.

Latest posts