Just how wild is a Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I have been to Honduras 2 times in the last 3 years and it is interesting to see them with there cattle. Most all the cattle are Brahman /Gir they milk them they work them and they eat them . I see them milk them standing in the pasture tied to a tree or standing in the yard. The lots are worse than my fences are they move them down the road 25 or 30 at a time with a young Honduran riding along behind them on a small,?? 13 hand ??, pony, or maybe a mule or even a donkey, and sometimes even a motorcycle. some times I even see them haul them in the back of a pickup standing tied or sometimes with their feet tied and them laying in the pickup with 4 or 5 men setting on them. I would like to take some good Char. bulls over there and cross them with them cattle and see what kind of cattle they could produce, I think they would be top of the line ???? I have several pictures maybe I could load some sometime IT IS QUITE A SIGHT !! So I guess it just shows there can be gentle ones in all breeds. All of my cattle are Brahman and Brahman cross and we get along fine but I know my cows and they know me and I have learned how to handle my kind of stock.

they are gentle if they are raised and handled with care and respect.by that i mean no running them no yelling at them.no whooping or rough treatment.not saying you wont get an unrulely 1 ever now and then.

You can get a idiot in one no matter how you handle it,gyr probably has the best disposition of the Bos indicus breeds..Brahman is a American breed..

Any breed can be gentle if hand raised.. geese follow the first thing they see, calves follow the one that feeds them.
Bulls would of course be another story.

I lived in Honduras for 8 years seen all the stuff BRYANT is talking about, and it is interesting to see the Bos Indicus cattle so gentle. Some of those cattle you could ride like a horse. The dairy cattle down there like the Brown Swiss and Holstein were the ones that were mean. We went to one place and they had a herd of Water Buffalo and they milked them.

I bottle fed some Brahman Holstein and Brahman Brown Swiss heifers. I also bought some Brahman Brown Swiss that were allegedly on a nurse cow.
I don't know if they were out of the same bull or not. They all came from the same dairy, but the heifers that were on the nurse cow look at you like you are the Grim Reaper every time you go anywhere near them. A while ago I bought 2 purebred registered Brahman heifers. I went on looks alone and thought that I would be able to tame them by being kind and generous with feed. That was not the case.

The one thing you need to know is that Brahman cows will jump fences unlike any other breed of cow. I live in Florida and I travel on I 75 and other highways with cows (Angus, Hereford, etc.) grazing in fields with low fences. If I put my Brahman heifers in those fields they would be out in the middle of the interstate eating grass in the median. This is not unique to this group of Brahman heifers. I used them for recips in the past. I would take them to the University of Florida and pick them up later. They jumped all the fences at UF, but when they saw the trailer pull up they would jump all the fences to get back where they needed to be.

Brahman cattle are NOT stupid by any means. They notice any slight change you make in your cow pen or anything out of the ordinary. I feed in the evening but most of the time we implant embryos or work cows in the morning. Some of the Brahman heifers will not go in the pen if you try to get them in there in the morning. But, Brahman cows usually have really strong maternal traits and they will follow you like a dog if you care for them properly. I have also had people tell me that they produce longer than other breeds.

They do far better on far less than almost any other breed. Natural resistance to parasites (not absolute). They are pretty dang smart for a cow. Any movement, anything different or new, and jump like a deer. Strong maternal instinct, and very stubborn.

The older gentleman that I bought my largest piece of ground from had about twenty pure brahma cows running around. Every one of them was in their late teens and going strong. They were also dog gentle as were the angus bulls they were running with. The f1's and later crosses out of those same cows and similar bulls were just flat f'in nuts.

Hook":31ic2ftq said:
What is it about the f1's that makes them crazy? Not all are but I'm seeing the pattern
I don't know where the crazy comes from but I had one true f1 bull calf out of one of my quietest angus cows(long story, I decided I needed to reinvent brangus) and that little shyt was scratch behind the ears gentle as long as he was just standing there but if he was moving his tail was in the air and there was never more than one foot on the ground at one time. His mom would stand there and watch him dismayed trying to figure out how her kid could act like that.

bigbull338":34bm9bjy said:
they are gentle if they are raised and handled with care and respect.by that i mean no running them no yelling at them.no whooping or rough treatment.not saying you wont get an unrulely 1 ever now and then.
This hits it right on the head. Brahman and Brahman influenced cattle are differetn then the British or continental breed. I think their brains are wired differently. I haven;t worked with them in years, but it was Brahamn influenced cattle that taught me "how" to work cattle correctly. If you yahoo and stir up a Brahman one time you can pretty well bet you'll never get it into that situation again. It
s kind of like the old car racing axiom to slow down to go fast. Work them slow and easy (goes for the Brit and continentals too) and you'll get done faster. You'll get a knothead sometimes just like any breed. But they seem to adapt to handling better then the other breeds, that is as long as you kind of make them think it's their idea.
Years ago Carnation Genetics has a Gyr bull named Pauncho. When you walked up to his pen he woudl shuffle around and roll a big heavy exercise ball over to where you were standing and want you to throw it for him to go and retrieve. After a few minutes of that he would turn parallel to the fence and flop against it so you could scratch his hump, after a few minutes he turned around and did it again so you could scratch the other side. I've alwasy liked Gyr cattle since them, of course the big ol trumpet shaped ears helped with that too. We bred Basset Hounds at the time and he reminded me of them.

I sold one of my old granny cows a few weeks ago she was full blood red Brahman, she didn't breed back and vet checked her and said it was time for her to go, she was dog gentle as is several heifers I have out of her, but when I unloaded her at the salebarn she came out of the trailer and blew snot and put everyone on the fence. I would have liked to got in the alley with her to see how she acted with me. I think she would have been fine ????? This ol cow and me got along great but let a stranger be with me and she might not go to the lot, she would some time even take the other cows to the woods if a stranger was with me I always said there aint no one going to steal my cattle with her in the pasture cause no stranger will catch her

BRYANT":23z9pw8e said:
I sold one of my old granny cows a few weeks ago she was full blood red Brahman, she didn't breed back and vet checked her and said it was time for her to go, she was dog gentle as is several heifers I have out of her, but when I unloaded her at the salebarn she came out of the trailer and blew snot and put everyone on the fence. I would have liked to got in the alley with her to see how she acted with me. I think she would have been fine ????? This ol cow and me got along great but let a stranger be with me and she might not go to the lot, she would some time even take the other cows to the woods if a stranger was with me I always said there aint no one going to steal my cattle with her in the pasture cause no stranger will catch her
I have a shorthorn just like that. I can get her into the lean-to and halter her and lead her anywhere, but if someone new (or my dad) shows up, you might as well grab a lasso cuz she ain't going inside! I had a heifer calf last year that was sort of developing a similar temperament, except she would attack people if she got cornered. I figured if she was doing that at 6 months old, she'd probably always have issues, plus she was out of a 1st calf heifer and was on the small side so I let her go. Blew snot all the way to and through the ring...

Bramer girls are like most redneck women , They are fine as long as you talk to them nice and low don't try to pull anything over on them, give them some space and don't make any sudden moves. If your clumsy I would say you need some other breed. all it takes is one time of you tripping and falling in the pen with them and they will never trust you again.

M-5":oqt8lp5e said:
Bramer girls are like most redneck women , They are fine as long as you talk to them nice and low don't try to pull anything over on them, give them some space and don't make any sudden moves. If your clumsy I would say you need some other breed. all it takes is one time of you tripping and falling in the pen with them and they will never trust you again.

They don't forget.
Brahmans don't play cowboy well.
Tigers like it even less.
I had an old Brangus girl that was a show heifer halter broke the whole nine yards.
She would eat you alive with a new calf,very protective mothers.
After about two weeks I believe if she could talk would have begged you to take the little
leach.

Never had any straight Brahmans...ran some Simbrah-cross cattle, and worked on plenty of Beefmaster & Brahman-cross cattle, back in the day.
You could lead 'em anywhere with a bucket of feed...but you couldn't drive 'em where they didn't want to go.

Lucky_P":3chgmo7x said:
Never had any straight Brahmans...ran some Simbrah-cross cattle, and worked on plenty of Beefmaster & Brahman-cross cattle, back in the day.
You could lead 'em anywhere with a bucket of feed...but you couldn't drive 'em where they didn't want to go.
I have a cow out of an old tiger striped cow, and the only way you can drive her is if you literally push her the whole way... When she's in heat we don't need a chute or anything to A.I her... Just have one person scratch her head while the other person breeds her and she moves less than a Holstein...

I guess it all depends...but don't have straight Brahman but have Simbrah's and Beefmaster(mix) and don't have any problems.

Latest posts