Just got back from Canberra Royal Show

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Got back about midnight last night from a very successful show!

In the cattle, we only took two MG heifers, a far cry from our usual 8 - 10 head. Rosita (8 1/2 months) won her the under 12 months class. Misty won the 12 to 15 months class. The judge then chose Rosita as his Junior Champion Female - the youngest heifer at the show. Misty was very close to getting the reserve champion, but missed out in the end. There were 104 murray greys, as many as the limousins, who were the feature breed.

The murray grey cow won the female interbreed, and the angus bull won the male interbreed. I still havent found out which was supreme.

In the goats, we had 10 boers from work. On the first judging day, the judge didnt like our bucks as they were in their working clothes, he was looking for very fat animals :roll: So we thought we wouldnt do any good with the females the next day. We were pleasantly suprised.

The milk tooth doe class was split into four weight categories. In the B weight class, our two does were 3th and 8th in a class of 20-odd animals. In the C weight class we were placed 4th, 6th and had one unplaced in a class of 18 animals.

The full mouth doe was placed 6th out of about 12 does.

The highlight for me was that I showed my own animals for the very first time at a royal show. I took two boer does, charlotte and calypso. Calypso is nothing flash but I brought her along to keep Charlotte company. The judge placed Charlotte 5th in that C weight class. :shock: I was so happy :banana: And although Calypso placed towards the end of the line, she wasnt dead last.

I also took 8 angoras, four bucks and four does. I knew when I entered them that they wouldnt do any good at all. The kids were too short in the fleece because they were too young. So I didnt get any ribbons in the angora section, although for a while he had my adult buck in 6th place (which gets a ribbon) and then at the last moment he switched him down a place. Ah, thats painful when that happens. I was soo close, and yet soo far away.

But, the main thing I went for was the networking opportunity, and that was a resounding success. I've been trying to get in contact with a particular stud, if not the best then certainly one of the best three studs in Australia, for 3 years with no luck. They didnt consider people that werent already showing. But by bringing my 'scrubbers', I got to know them, and they actually asked me to help parade their animals in the ring after mine were finished. Another two studs noticed me, introduced themselves, complimented my handling skills with the result that there are two does I have been offerred for a relatively cheap price, to help me get started.

I definitely got my foot in the door, and that is the whole reason I show -- the ribbon I got for charlotte was just an added benefit.

yeah, moocow, I took pictures before I went up to Canberra. But the photo gallery is doing something weird -- I click on it and it takes me to the ranchers.net photo gallery ??????? I dont know what the ---- is going on. I will try to get it posted.

Congrats on a successful show; in many regards! I hope you received the photos I sent
to you a few weeks ago??! :D

Congrats Keren! Glad to hear you did so well.

I know how hard it is to win a championship at a royal show, so a very hearty congrats!

Latest posts