Junior High national finals/taking handouts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thing don't start till Sunday. My wife can't just be in something, she's got to run it. We came down pretty early. I've had plenty of time to kill. We'd be at a disadvantage never being here before. The stock don't look as fast and waspy as I thought they'd be. Some kids here seem to be mounted pretty good, I told mine to come out throwin. Won't be no safe runs make it back to the short go.

Calves and steers are usually pretty good, bulls usually end up with a few that look like they should have been at the PBR rather than a junior high rodeo. If they don't rope the first couple performances the photographer people should have video of whatever calf they draw going earlier. I think it's worth the money to see how they were. Have a good pusher and know the start.

There will be some high powered horses there. A friend of mine back when I was in high school was offered $75,000 for her barrel horse by the dad of one of the girls she beat as she was walking back from her run. There are some very rich people there who will spend amazing amounts of money to make there kids winners.

Yeah, the workin class ain't showed up yet. I keep thinkin they show up later.

I would think it depends on what the businesses expect in exchange for the money. Seen some local ag businesses here sponsor kids doing ag activities and expected nothing. When my daughter was in high school she got picked by KY Cattleman's Association for a trip to Nebraska, they were paying everything, word got out in the community and I was contacted being offered money. I explained to people it was a no cost trip but they wanted to give your extra money in case she wanted to buy something.

I would talk to them and see what they expect, they may just be trying to help offset your expenses.

May as well update this thread:

It was an enjoyable 11 days, and also the longest I've ever been away from the farm. I'm also counting it as my first vacation, so I guess I can't say I've never been on a vacation any more.

We spent an obscene amount of money. I know you can't take it with you, but I did want to hold it a little longer. I've made my piece with it. The thing was possibly a once in a lifetime chance, and we took it.

I never make, nor accept excuses. Competition wise, we had a terrible finals. I've got to Give credit to the NJHSRA for finding so many good head of roping stock. The cattle were perfectly matched to the age of the kids to, I think we broke every barrier we got behind. Kids were charged up, horses were charged up. It was the perfect storm, and we got caught in it. I knew the roping events were our only hope, because 19 second pole times seemed to be the norm. We didn't make it back to the short round in anything. It was however good for my kids to see the top 20 in every event run. Consistency had been the key to our success getting there, and at the big show consistency is out the door. You've got to be fast, there were 27 second totals on 3 head in calf roping. They have both committed to changing the way the practice. Not necessarily more practice, but to practice with speed in mind.

My son got to spend about half of one day with Fred Whitfield in a clinic. He reinforced the way I feel. Practice like your going to play, and spend more time roping a hay bale, and tying a dummy. Tie off of a post every opportunity you get. Cattle ain't free, but time and effort are.

A man has the opportunity to do many things in his lifetime, that are to be ashamed of, and just a sprinklin of things worth taken pride in. I've wasted years, and wasted opportunities, but I'm proud of my kids, and what they do. It's something we do together, and we'll always have that in common.

I tip my hat to these two, for many years of hard work and effort. May they grow up to be as honest as the horses they ride: