Junior High national finals/taking handouts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
My twins qualified for the finals this past weekend. It was a little bit a of surprise to me actually. We had missed a few rodeos, so we went to our state finals behind on points. They ended up having a really good weekend, and qualified. The thing is in 3 weeks, and in Lebanon Tn. All information you don't need, so here's the question. Immediately, both local people and businesses started offering us money to go on. This was a foreign concept to me, but evidently it is a tradition. I very kindly thanked the people, for the generous offers, but turned down the money. I have gotten my necessary sponsors through out the year, but that money goes to the state association. It doesn't go in my pocket so to speak. The money I'm talking about would help fund me/off set my expenses. In the past, I have seen local people qualify, and have their own fund raiser. That's fine, if that's what you want to do, but that's not my style either. Not necessarily interested in if it would have been right or wrong, to take the money, more interested in is this something that actually goes on in other states (wouldn't have to pertain to rodeo). We're not talking about the type of sponsorship, where you promote a product, or business. We have taken hats, gloves, shirts, and ropes in the past, but you probably have to cover that stuff up at the finals, or not wear it. I'm not certain of that, but it would stand to reason that you do.

I have never been involved in Rodeo aspect but On the Little league side I have and when we Used to go to the state tournaments we had fund raisers and donations these funds were used for travel expenses , room and board and uniforms. There was always a few that paid most of their kids expense so the few that you knew didn't have 2 nickels to rub together wouldn't have to worry about it. Typically the monies raised will be for the whole team and is used to get them to and from the event and if there is enough to feed them once or twice. Its a standard practice and a lot of business and individuals donate because it is good to invest in the young kids .

My opinion, and it's guaranteed to worth be what it costs you, is that if they're representing a local organization, such as their school, take the money. If they're competing completely as individuals, I agree with you that you should foot the bill.

M-5":2r7hn8tu said:
I have never been involved in Rodeo aspect but On the Little league side I have and when we Used to go to the state tournaments we had fund raisers and donations these funds were used for travel expenses , room and board and uniforms. There was always a few that paid most of their kids expense so the few that you knew didn't have 2 nickels to rub together wouldn't have to worry about it. Typically the monies raised will be for the whole team and is used to get them to and from the event and if there is enough to feed them once or twice. Its a standard practice and a lot of business and individuals donate because it is good to invest in the young kids .

Thanks. This thing is 10 days long, and as I understand very expensive. I hadn't wrote a check yet, so I don't know how expensive.

We had a group of local businesses want to sponsor us when we went to high school finals in New Mexico. One of them was a company that made signs and banners so they just made up a banner showed the logo of all the companies that where involved and they just wanted us to hang it on the trailer whenever we went to a roping or a rodeo. That was the only way we accepted money.

I think it's against the rules of most high school sports for individuals to be sponsored but I've been to fundraisers for whole teams when they were going on a trip out of state.

I think a lot of local businesses like to support local kids when they can, and they know these types of things can be financially taxing to many families. Congrats to your kids.

Rafter S":nqrifrzj said:
My opinion, and it's guaranteed to worth be what it costs you, is that if they're representing a local organization, such as their school, take the money. If they're competing completely as individuals, I agree with you that you should foot the bill.

Yes, this is an individual activity, that we chose to do. The state association, may give each contestant some money later. I hadn't thought of that. I'll take it of course, because I helped raise it.

It can get extremely expensive, I know some family's spent upwards of $5,000 when fuel was high. You got lucky and got a short trip to finals. Our longest trip to finals was around 1400 miles

Ojp6":18p88d5u said:
It can get extremely expensive, I know some family's spent upwards of $5,000 when fuel was high. You got lucky and got a short trip to finals.

Perhaps, that is why everybody goes on about how much they spent. The trip there with horses would be very expensive. Entry fees are free, as I understand it.

Yeah, entries are free, but family has to pay to watch so if you plan to go to all the performances a wristband is a good thing to have unless you get a directors pass. Shopping can eat up a lot of money. Everything a rodeo family could ever want will be for sale in a tent within walking distance of your campground.

Gps shows me 100.9 miles from it. Hay and shaving for 4 horse could get spendy on the rodeo grounds for 10 days. I may bring a second truck with that crap, and send the truck back.

Golf carts are really handy. We had one some years and went without other years. It can be hard to get to the stalls with your truck when the traffic is really heavy around the grounds. It was nice to have the golf cart to run to feed the horses and to haul saddles back there.

Bring box fans and extension cords so you can hang them in your stalls, it can get terribly hot in the stall area at times and I've heard some bad stories about horses not being able to handle it. Watch your horses eyes to. It can get really dusty back there and that can mess up their eyes pretty bad. We had to have a vet come look at one one year. If you have old horses for some reason it seems like they wear out over the week so you may want to give them a little extra feed all week.

I think that's great, the kids must be top notch, I'm proud for you. Seems like I can remember someone that was trying to cut back on rodeos because of the expenses. One thing about life is we never know what's going to happen next. Good luck and give the kids my best.

js1234":330rm5g6 said:
Bigfoot":330rm5g6 said:
They tell me there is no way around renting a golf cart. Idk.

I agree with that Statement.

If you want to save a little money I know a lot of family's will share one with another family and split the cost.

My wife is filling out some paper work on it today. I could stay at the Waldorf historia hotel cheaper than I call stall a horse there. She also texted me, to tell me it cost to warm up a horse.

Were here. The facilities in Lebanon, are definatly not set up to accommodate a rodeo of this size.