national animal identification---why it is BAD!

Help Support CattleToday:

esbee

Reaction score
Stop NAIS NOW

NAIS WILL FORCE YOU TO:
Register your premises and pay a yearly fee. How high can that fee go?

Pay for microchipping your animals, including computer software programs and scanners.
$3 chips are now $37 in Australia!

File reports within 24 hrs. to the government everywhere you take your animals. Trail rides, vets, shows, births, deaths, escapes!

There are fines for non-compliance.

Few are aware of this plan. Most have not heard about NAIS at all, or they think it is only for cattle. News media barely mentions it only to tell the party line, not the negatives about NAIS.

NAIS violates the 1st, 4th, 5th, 13th and 14th Amendments to the US Constitution.

NAIS is unnecessary as there are already systems in place to track animal disease that work very well.

NAIS is not about animal health. It is about profits for the mega-farms and big agribusinesses, so they can sell their product overseas.

If disease is found in an area, ALL ANIMALS could be confiscated!

People are being signed up for NAIS without their permission or knowledge! (14,000 in Idaho!)

Read more at NONAIS.org and
http://www.stopanimalid.org. Call your elected officials!

It's on hold for a little while anyway.

----------------

April 4, 2006)--The Texas Animal Health Commission is waiting until at least 2007 to develop mandatory rules for places that hold, handle or manage livestock and poultry.

The commission had planned to discuss proposals May 4.

But officials announced Tuesday that the commission won't revisit the issue until next year at the earliest.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture wants animals tagged to track and prevent the rapid spread of disease.

The National Animal Identification System would enable animal health officials to trace the movement of diseased or exposed livestock or poultry within 48 hours.

The commission in February faced opposition from one of its members and animal owners for a proposed registration fee and other rules, which included fines.

The commission will continue accepting voluntary, free registration of such premises.

http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/news/pr/200 ... ll2007.pdf

esbee":eg3q10gm said:
Stop NAIS NOW

NAIS WILL FORCE YOU TO:
Register your premises and pay a yearly fee. How high can that fee go?

1's - Lie I have a number in California @ No Fee :!:

Pay for microchipping your animals, including computer software programs and scanners.
$3 chips are now $37 in Australia!

As I understand it cost is $3 plus Vet Fee - - If you already have a Vet Fee for a Vet Call it's $3

I am willing to bet that there will be $5 Horse Chip Clinics like the dog Clinics

You can also elect to use an Eye Scan

Unless you a big outfit or just a Software Freek you can use a Club or Auction Etc. Program

File reports within 24 hrs. to the government everywhere you take your animals. Trail rides, vets, shows, births, deaths, escapes!

As I understand A Simple Scan will take care of all this @ above Locations automaticlly

There are fines for non-compliance.

It's pretty hard NOT to comply to sumthing that is "Automatic"

Few are aware of this plan. Most have not heard about NAIS at all, or they think it is only for cattle. News media barely mentions it only to tell the party line, not the negatives about NAIS.

NAIS violates the 1st, 4th, 5th, 13th and 14th Amendments to the US Constitution.

NAIS is unnecessary as there are already systems in place to track animal disease that work very well.

NAIS is not about animal health. It is about profits for the mega-farms and big agribusinesses, so they can sell their product overseas.

Oh My God - NAIS PR - - "The Sky is Falling!" NOT :!:

If disease is found in an area, ALL ANIMALS could be confiscated!

People are being signed up for NAIS without their permission or knowledge! (14,000 in Idaho!)

Read more at NONAIS.org and
http://www.stopanimalid.org. Call your elected officials!

Yea :!: More - -> NONAIS BS

It could also Verifie that your animals were outside a Disease Circle - - it could also be used to PROVE Your Animals Had All Their SHOTS

We have had Source Verified Cattle at oue sales yard for several months now and it has added 3 to 35 cent per pound OVER any cost.

Info needed for Source Verified Cows

EID = Electronic ID EAID = Electronic Animal ID
EID can be Eye Scan - Mico-Chip with a matching If used Ear Tag
Horses will have a Eye Sacn or Chip

To use the Yards Electronis Chuts all SV Cattle must have
(Electronic Ear Tag that matches above EID)
Paper work includes
EID#
Age of cow by that #
Premise #
Info needed for Source Verified Calves

Electronic Tags
Paper work includes:
Premise #
Vaccination Program
Calving dates (example: 1st calf born Sept. 1 last calf born Dec. 15)

To get your premise number you can log on to http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/egov/pais/ or call (916)654-1447

Classes of cattle to be sold this year

1st.Comercial Cattle These are cattle that come to our market that are not individually identified. And although they may be on a vaccination program we can not verify this.

2nd Source Verified These cattle come with age, premise, and EID# . They also have a minimum vaccination program. (#1)

3rd Certified Natural These cattle are source verified and at least the minimum vaccination program and have not antibiotics or implants.

4th QSA Aproved These cattle are source and age verified with at least the minimum vaccination program and will be under 20 months at time of harvest. They are EID tagged.

Required Vaccination Programs that go with Electronic ID tags

Notes:
#1 - All Programs are for our loaction in California
#2 - Sale yard does all Paper Work IF you buy your Vaccins from them.

Weakness as I see it - did you give the shots you bought

Program #1

(if you are only able to work your cattle once
AT BRANDING
8-WAY; 4-WAY + LEPTO; PASTURELLA W/ BACTERIN & TOXID

Program #2

AT BRANDING
8-WAY; 4-WAY + LEPTO 5 Modified Live Virus

PRIOR TO SHIPPING (30 days to 2 weeks)
8-WAY; 4-WAY + LEPTO 5 Modified Live Virus although Pasturella is not required we recommend it.

Program #3

(the best program)

Same as Program 2 but wean calves
NASAL WEANING DEVICE APPLIED
the best way to wean your calves with the less stress. Can be shipped after 2 weeks. or standard 30 day wean off cow.

Brand Names for Vaccines

8-WAY: vaccinations for bacillary hemoglobinuria (red water); clostridium (black leg); haemophilus somnus; septicum (malignant edema); novyi (black disease); sordellii & per-fringers types C&D (enterotoxemia & overeating)

Vision vaccinations by Intervet; Alpha, Bar-Vac, Pulmo Guard vaccinations by Boehringer; UltraChoice, Ultrabac, Fortress vaccinations by Pfizer; Piliguard by Schering; Bovi Plaz & Resist vaccinations.

4-Way: vaccinations for IBR (infectious bovine rhinotracheitis); BVD (bovine virus diarrhea); PI3 (parainfluenza3 virus); BRSV (bovine respiratory syncytial virus)

Cattlemaster vaccinations by Pfizer; Pyramid vaccinations by Fort Dodge; Elite, Express vaccinations by Boehringer; Respishield vaccinations by Merial; Covert & Exalt vaccinations; Titanuim 5

Pasturella: OneShot by Pfizer has the 8-way combined with Pasturella

Lepto: many of the 4-way shots have the Lepto included.

My Thoughts:
There will or may be buggs but we (general public) will work them out :!:

Today 4/6/2006 1:41:00 PM

Animal ID: Johanns Releases NAIS Implementation Plan

WASHINGTON, April 6. 2006-Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced the release of an implementation plan that outlines timelines and benchmarks for the establishment of the National Animal Identification System (NAIS), along with a plan for the initial integration of private and state animal tracking databases with NAIS.

"Developing an effective animal identification system has been a high priority for USDA and we've made significant strides toward achieving a comprehensive U.S. system," said Johanns. "We recognize that this represents one of the largest systematic changes ever faced by the livestock industry and we have welcomed suggestions from stakeholders to ensure that we continue to gain momentum. The plan we are releasing today will guide our efforts as we continue to work with our State and industry partners to implement a nationwide system."

The implementation plan continues to set an aggressive timeline for ensuring full implementation of the NAIS by 2009. It establishes benchmarks for incrementally accomplishing the remaining implementation goals to enable the NAIS to be operational by 2007, and to achieve full producer participation by 2009. Several important components have already been accomplished. These include the development of premises registration systems in each State and the issuance of guidelines for the manufacture and distribution of animal identification numbers. More than 235,000 premises are currently registered.

USDA is also releasing today the general technical standards for animal tracking databases that will enable integration of private systems with the NAIS. Private database owners are invited to submit applications for system evaluation to USDA and offer feedback as the final technical requirements are established. USDA will then enter into cooperative agreements with owners of databases that meet the standards. The application for system evaluation and a draft cooperative agreement are available on the NAIS web site at http://www.usda.gov/nais.

By early 2007, USDA expects to have the technology in place, called the Animal Trace Processing System or commonly known as the metadata system, that will allow state and federal animal health officials to query the NAIS and private databases during a disease investigation. The animal tracking databases will record and store animal movement tracking information for livestock that state and federal animal health officials will query for animals of interest in a disease investigation.

Training sessions will be offered to organizations interested in distributing animal identification number (AIN) tags as either a tag manager or tag reseller. Two USDA-sponsored web conferences about the administration of AIN tags and a demonstration of the AIN Management System are scheduled for Thursday, April 13 at 1 p.m., and Wednesday, April 26 at 1 p.m., Eastern Time. Details of the web conferences are available on the NAIS web site.

USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is also finalizing $3 million in funds that will be awarded to a number of States and Tribes to conduct field trials to analyze information pertaining to animal identification. Field trials will focus on the evaluation of new technologies for animal identification and automated data collection. APHIS will also fund an economic study focusing on the cost of NAIS implementation within a state; the development of procedures to measure the performance of identification devices and a bi-state study to develop recommendations regarding livestock exhibitions to achieve compatibility with the NAIS.

APHIS has awarded approximately $27 million in funds to States and Tribes to advance the national animal identification initiative. This funding has been used primarily for premises identification and registration. APHIS is updating a summary report detailing what has been accomplished through previously funded field trials and pilot projects. This report will be made public upon completion.

Throughout the establishment and implementation of the NAIS, USDA has engaged in extensive dialogue with producers and industry organizations across the country to gauge their views on animal identification. In April, 2005, USDA published a draft strategic plan and draft program standards for the NAIS and invited public comments on those documents. Industry-specific working groups have also been studying the issue of animal identification and will be making recommendations to USDA through an established advisory committee on how best to tailor the program to meet their industry-specific needs.

Additionally, USDA hosted a public meeting in Kansas City, Missouri, in November, 2005, to receive comments from cooperators and stakeholders on the animal movement tracking component of the NAIS. In total, these efforts have ensured that momentum continues to build around this important effort. USDA believes that it is critically important to develop the appropriate framework for the system to ensure successful implementation and wide-scale support.

The NAIS implementation plan, along with more information about the program, is available at http://www.usda.gov/nais USDA News [email protected] 202 720-4623

We are already using the RFID USDA approved tags here in Michigan because of the TB in the deer heard. There is no fee for a premis ID and you do not have to notify authorities when you move, so I do not know where you are getting your info. And it is only right now for cattle, goats and sheep, it will be a long time before horses are included. This winter at a extension program a USDA vet mapped out the senario in England with foot and mouth disease and stated that we will probably have it here someday. It cost England hundreds of millions of dollars. Source varification is going to be important. Also, the data base is managed privatley to keep people from filing a freedom of information request and the tags we get are from the Holstein association in Vermont.

My thoughts on Cost
The Computer you reading this on used to take up a city block and cost Millions

The public's oppion of Farmes and Ranchers is that they are not very smart - - We know different - lets show them we can addapt

Personallt when it comes to Eye Scans or Chips I'd choose Eye Scans

Chips can be cut out - - Eye Scans work even after death

New Scanners can read (1) Ear Tag Bar Code out of a group from 5' feet - - That wii improve!!

Go to nais.org and see what is in store.It needs to be stopped.barrelhorseworld.com will have some post about it the barrel racers are fighting it hard.Do some research it is not good and is unconstutional.Big money is behind it as well as the vets.

Unconstitutional? This program is designed to track livestock faster--not that it couldn't be done before! And this is for public health safety and disease prevention. This isn't anything new and amazing. It is simply an improvement that like all new technology nowadays increases speed and efficiency.

I do this already on my cattle. I have meantioned it befor but check it out for yourself. Google "Jordan Cattle Auction". Look up on their site premium weaned calve sale. It has paid me to take my commercial cattle there about 7-10, one time 20 dollars per hundred more. Three dollar tag and gave the same shots I had been to keep them healthy anyway.

If the tag was all there was to it thats one thing but its not.You have not done the research to see what else is in store for agriculture.Every animal from birds to buffalo will be included and if you take your horse to a jackpot or to check cattle,or your dog with you to see your mother,move cattle from one pasture to another,give a calf a shot,pull a calf what ever you do it will have to be documented and turned in.They will want to know how many of everything you have,what you have done to them where you have gone with them everything and non compliance is a $1000.a day fine I suppose you can afford that.I can't.Better do some research and find out what really is coming.It is vet.and big money driven.This was all put on the back end of the Patriot Act.your gov.officials are selling you out for cash.Go to nais.org and read what is coming.There is more to a honky tonk than a saw dust floor'

You need to learn what this is really about. There are reasons this will benefit the horse industry. There are horsemen working on making sure this is done in a way that will be workable for horses. Implementing NAIS for horses is way down the road, because they have to get it right for the food animals first.

To learn more go to:
http://www.horsecouncil.org

I have you need to look farther.I do not want any body telling me what I can and can't do with my property.I do not want a micro chip stuck in my horses.And some one able to track where I am and what I am doing.It is none of there business.I do not want to have to report where I go with my horses and if I do not be fined or have my property that (I have worked for and payed for) confiscated.They already know where everything is.Reg,papers,bank notes,farm tags,farm tax id.is already in place.Mamby if you only have a couple and do not go any where fine we have lots and cattle also.I don't have time to document what I do every day to every one.It is an invasion of my rights.I think from what I read there are four constutional rights violated by all this.Its about controll and money.There is already eneough of that.When the small independants are run out of business,you think things are high now just wait.This will be the only time in American history when it will be illegal to own property.It is serious and needs to be stopped.The barrel racers and ranchers in Tx. are fighting it awful hard.Go to barrelhorseworld.com and ask about it there.Look at what they are doing and go to the nais.org web.site.You will get and eye full there.We have the safest food supply in the world and the US feed 3/4 of the worlds population now.The Livestock Weekly paper,San Angelo Tx. keeps up with this stuff pretty good also.Like I said there is more to a honky tonk than a saw dust floor.

The animal Id thing.That horses or cattle that are stolen or lost can be found easier is a joke.Thieves already have the ability to change and to alter the devises,that was on one of the sites mentioned.Any devise that is MAN made can be altered by MAN.Outlaws don't buy guns at gun shops and don't follow the rules.

clampitt":2leadt2y said:
I have you need to look farther.I do not want any body telling me what I can and can't do with my property.I do not want a micro chip stuck in my horses.

Micro chips are not even manditory for cattle. These rules are coming, and if you want them to be easy to work with you should try to be part of the solution. I suspect that any rules for horses will be much more lax than they are for food animals. Also the date for implementing rules for equine NAIS will be pushed back over and over because they are having so much trouble coming up with a viable situation for cattle.

And some one able to track where I am and what I am doing.It is none of there business.I do not want to have to report where I go with my horses and if I do not be fined or have my property that (I have worked for and payed for) confiscated.

It is very likely that as long as you own your horse and he is a pleasure, competition or companion animal reporting of his movements will not be necessary. You should keep track of where you go and when just incase there is an alert of a horse that attended a certain event on a certain date and shortly after came down with a highly contagious disease. You would want to be able to have your horse tested and treated early if he is exposed to disease. Your horse won't need an ID until you sell him, and if you bought him (after rules are in place) rather than raised him or owned him prior he will come to you with an ID.

We have lots and cattle also.I don't have time to document what I do every day to every one.

Sounds like you got your information from a drug company that is offering an ID program. Many drug companies have QSA or PVP programs that you can enroll in if you use their product. Programs (such as Muriel SureHealth) are focused on supplying cattle that qualify for export markets. They are setting up a program that will also qualify for NAIS, but they are tracking much more info that NAIS requires. For NAIS the calves you raise will need to be IDed when you sell them, and and it is likely the buyer will be required to report the transaction and movement. The ID process can take place when you have the vet out to vaccinate, or as you deliver them to an acution barn.

This will be the only time in American history when it will be illegal to own property.

WHAT?!?

It is serious and needs to be stopped.The barrel racers and ranchers in Tx. are fighting it awful hard.Go to barrelhorseworld.com and ask about it there.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. There are no rules for horses to comply with yet. We don't know what they are going to be. If you want to fight without knowing what you are fighting be my guest, but I think that is just a waste of time. You ought to be sending suggestions to the Horse Working Group to make sure our horses are looked at differently than horses that may be sold for slaughter. Even if you sell at an auction where there is a slaughter buyer, we can make sure it is his responsibility transfer the ID of the horses he buys to a higher level of reporting. Prior to his buying the horse all he should need to know is who he bought it from.

We have the safest food supply in the world and the US feed 3/4 of the worlds population now.

That is true today, but I hope it is true in the future as well. We have other countries that are doing the hard work of developing a plan to verify and ensure the health of their livestock. There are countries (right or wrong) who are closing their borders to our beef exports not because our beef isn't safe, but because they don't think we are taking the safety issue seriously enough. I don't want to dig our heels in and let other countries pass us in food safety and steal our export markets.

The Livestock Weekly paper,San Angelo Tx. keeps up with this stuff pretty good also.Like I said there is more to a honky tonk than a saw dust floor.

Well said. I hope you will look at both sides of the issue with an open mind.

Latest posts