Joint ill question

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
So I have a calf I have been treating for joint ill for longer than I care to remember. Looks like the swelling is all gone. Finally. She can get up but it obviously hurts her.
Has anyone ever successfully treated joint ill, and if so did the joint end up permanently damaged or did they eventually get back to normal?
I've treated for joint ill in the past but never made it to this point :oops:

Joint ill is miserable stuff to work with. I've had one with a really bad case of it. I had to work with him for probably 6-8 weeks keeping him up around the barn and giving him shots periodically to help with pain and swelling and to heal up, but we were blessed and he got better. The swelling went down, and he seemed pain free, and you could never tell he had had it. I sold him as a feeder calf at weaning, so I'm not sure how he would have held up long term. The vet said prognosis isn't usually very good when they get it, but it depends on the individual case, and calves that get it and recover might be more susceptible to arthritis and lameness at an earlier age if kept as replacements.

It is miserable to deal with for sure. I've treated my share of it, this is the first one I've ever had luck with getting the swelling gone. I've been treating her since April 22. Massive doses of antibiotics. Mostly Resflor. But it looks like the joints are all normal size now. But it's obvious she hurts. Possible permanent damage in the joints?
Last antibiotics I gave her was Exceed, so I will give her some Metacam tomorrow and see if it helps with the pain.

I can't say I can recall having followed any all the way through Silver but I would say Metacam sounds like a plan for a while. All the best with her Silver.
It is warming to hear a commercial cattleman go to these lengths for one calf. It is things like this that these groups like PETA overlook. Most of us go to great lengths for the welfare of our herd.

Ken

Silver said:
It is miserable to deal with for sure. I've treated my share of it, this is the first one I've ever had luck with getting the swelling gone. I've been treating her since April 22. Massive doses of antibiotics. Mostly Resflor. But it looks like the joints are all normal size now. But it's obvious she hurts. Possible permanent damage in the joints?
Last antibiotics I gave her was Exceed, so I will give her some Metacam tomorrow and see if it helps with the pain.

It sounds like you've done a great job getting her to this point. Hopefully the Metacam will help.

We had one last summer that got joint ill that went into the front shoulder. Shoulder swelled up and it would hobble around on three legs and not put weight on the leg. Kept is close to the barn with it's mom so it didn't have to travel far for food and water. Gave it a few rounds of antibiotics and banamine. Vet had us give it 10 days straight of penicillin, like double the dose called out on the bottle. It eventually got better and let it out with the herd and he was running with the other calves. A few weeks later it relapsed and back to hobbling three lagged. Back to the barn yard and another couple weeks of daily high dose penicillin shots. Poor guy must have felt like a pin cushion. He could move pretty fast on three legs when he saw you coming with that syringe. After about 3 to 3-1/2 months he started getting over it and walked with a little limp. When we weaned him at 6 months you couldn't tell anything was ever wrong with him. We sold him with the rest of the feeders at 7 months, so long term I don't know if he every had any more issues or the lameness came back. It was a long road but he seamed to eventually make a full recovery.

WFfarm said:
We had one last summer that got joint ill that went into the front shoulder. Shoulder swelled up and it would hobble around on three legs and not put weight on the leg. Kept is close to the barn with it's mom so it didn't have to travel far for food and water. Gave it a few rounds of antibiotics and banamine. Vet had us give it 10 days straight of penicillin, like double the dose called out on the bottle. It eventually got better and let it out with the herd and he was running with the other calves. A few weeks later it relapsed and back to hobbling three lagged. Back to the barn yard and another couple weeks of daily high dose penicillin shots. Poor guy must have felt like a pin cushion. He could move pretty fast on three legs when he saw you coming with that syringe. After about 3 to 3-1/2 months he started getting over it and walked with a little limp. When we weaned him at 6 months you couldn't tell anything was ever wrong with him. We sold him with the rest of the feeders at 7 months, so long term I don't know if he every had any more issues or the lameness came back. It was a long road but he seamed to eventually make a full recovery.

This has been my experience with them. It's curable if you treat aggressively enough, but it takes frequent treatment for a long time. If you quit before they're 100% cured, they backslide and you have to start over.

I've had good luck with surgical treatment, but that's not for the average calf.

Well I lost her. I mean I really lost her. Can't find her anywhere. I saw the cow come down looking for her yesterday so followed her for about half a mile to an area a few hundred yards from where I last saw the calf. She came to a spot where she seemed to think it should be and stood there for the afternoon bawling occasionally. Searched all afternoon, and for a couple of hours today. I'm kinda thinking a bear came and packed her off... but I can't find evidence of that either. Found the cow today back up with the main bunch, not looking too concerned and it might be wishful thinking but it's possible she has been sucked since yesterday. I guess time will tell.

That doesn't sound good. She was probably not moving with the herd because of what you described as a bit of a disability. I would suspect a predator may have taken advantage. A bear, a wolf or even a big cat might have hauled her off. It is really frustrating when you put in the extra effort and lose them anyway. Especially when you literally lose them. I'd rather find them dead, than to never know for sure what happened. If she does show up, I hope you will let us know.

Hello all...been stalking for years. I have a 4 month old bull calf that got navel ill back in the wet wet Jan we had here. Gave him better. Then he relapsed with joint ill in rear right hip about 2 months. Got him better. Now, he has a swelled left front foot and knee. If it was any other calf I would suspect snake bite but I'm thinking joint ill again. What's the majority opinion?

Katpau said:
That doesn't sound good. She was probably not moving with the herd because of what you described as a bit of a disability. I would suspect a predator may have taken advantage. A bear, a wolf or even a big cat might have hauled her off. It is really frustrating when you put in the extra effort and lose them anyway. Especially when you literally lose them. I'd rather find them dead, than to never know for sure what happened. If she does show up, I hope you will let us know.

Well, I found her today. In the bush, alive, about a half mile from where I last saw her. She got up easily but is very slow moving, obviously sore. No swelling of the joints. Gave her 3 cc's of Metacam because I can still out run her. If I can keep track of her I'll give her another dose in a couple of days.

A large majority of the calves I've taken from auction have had joint ill. I used to lose them all eventually but now I have seemed to figure out a system.

The only one I left on the dam in the field died. Now I remove right away (with Dam or not but separate from herd). Drain the joints. If the liquid is clear you are likely at a good point. If its not the calf is in a way worse spot for recovery (at least the ones ive had). Inject antibiotic daily NEAR the joints. Seems to be the only thing that works. Most recover after about 4 weeks of continued treatment. I always put in more drugs and time than the calf will ever be worth.

It usually starts with a lazy calf. Then a calf that can barely walk. Then they seem to get better. Then the pneumonia hits. Then they die a few months later. The odd part is a lot of the joint ill calves ive seen from auction have no sign of navel ill. Confusing.

I have been treating with resflour the last few years as well. Expensive but seems to help them. Haven't lost one in a long while.

cowgal604 said:
A large majority of the calves I've taken from auction have had joint ill. I used to lose them all eventually but now I have seemed to figure out a system.

The only one I left on the dam in the field died. Now I remove right away (with Dam or not but separate from herd). Drain the joints. If the liquid is clear you are likely at a good point. If its not the calf is in a way worse spot for recovery (at least the ones ive had). Inject antibiotic daily NEAR the joints. Seems to be the only thing that works. Most recover after about 4 weeks of continued treatment. I always put in more drugs and time than the calf will ever be worth.

It usually starts with a lazy calf. Then a calf that can barely walk. Then they seem to get better. Then the pneumonia hits. Then they die a few months later. The odd part is a lot of the joint ill calves ive seen from auction have no sign of navel ill. Confusing.

I have been treating with resflour the last few years as well. Expensive but seems to help them. Haven't lost one in a long while.

After the swelling has gone down have you noticed that they are still stiff and sore, and if so do they seem to get past that?

Silver said:
cowgal604 said:

After the swelling has gone down have you noticed that they are still stiff and sore, and if so do they seem to get past that?

Actually no. I have never had any cows that have had any real long term effects. I had one calf that got joint ill really really badly. Took months of recovery. Id have to roll him around for weeks because he could barely walk and his breathing was being bothered by the constant laying down. He had no colostrum (actually no food for the first 3 days of life). I kept him as a pet and he is now almost 5 and completely healthy. Zero issues. I have also been told it can stunt their growth and I have never seen that either. With proper and fast care they seem to do really well as they grow.

The thing I have found with joint ill is you have to catch it early. If you have a calf that is showing any signs it must be drained right away. Treatment also has to be consistent. Don't stop until you have a calf that has been acting completely normal for a week.