Joint ill/infected knee in older calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Outlaw Acres

Reaction score
I really could use some help...I purchased a calf at action, I am fairly new to cows and made a mistake with this one. Problem is, now I am hooked on her. Beautiful heifer calf with issues to say the least. I have looked over the other posts and cant find any information about older calves and long term out come of joint ill. Can anyone help me out?

My calf is 5 weeks old and has had a problem with the knee since I brought her home. It was scuffed up, didnt look bad, just looked like she fell and skinned it. I began treatment immediately by giving her penecillin daily for 5 days. She was 86 pounds so I gave her 3ml twice daily. (I also treated her with Sulfa tabs for 5 days at the same time.) The knee got progressively worse, so I started soaking it daily and twice a day when I could in epsom salt water. I had been wrapping it and applying icthamol in between soaking, hoping to keep it clean. The leg wasn't improving so I called the vet again and started her on Excel. She completed that course and at this point I am still soaking the leg daily, but still the knee is bulging and copious amounts of pus is draining from the leg. At this point the vet recommended keeping the wound unwrapped but to continue soaking. I followed those directions but still, the knee looks bad and the joint is losing range of motion.

Here I am 5 weeks later, still soaking this calves leg daily. It has had an open area on the inner side of the knee since the beginning. It is still draining thick yellow pus, and also there is now another area on the lower outer side of the knee that I opened up to drain. So at this point I have two open wounds draining large amounts of pus. Currently she is not on any antibiotics and the wound is open and draining.

What I want to know, from people experienced with cows and treating this condition, is there HOPE for this calf? I am very attached after all the care I have put into her, but I also understand that if there is no hope for her to have a real shot at life that it would be best to let her go. Has anyone successfully treated this condition in a calf that is this 5 weeks old? If you have, what did you do? Of note, the wounds continue to drain, but have shown good healing. The initial wound has decreased in size from about 7cm to 4cm round, and the site I opened to drain is also decreasing in size. Her knee has gone from softball size to slightly smaller than a baseball, but does turn to the outside and although she can move it she does not put pressure on it.

Thank you for your consideration.

The joint ill cases that I have seen do not usually just affect one joint. Joint ill is caused by an untreated navel infection, which is a shame because it is very easy to treat, but once it progresses to the joints is almost impossible to treat. Blood flow to the knees is not good which makes antibiotics not very effective. 3ml of pen is not enough, needs to be more like 10ml. I would continue soaking and not covering, I use iodine on those kinds of things.

Larry

Here's some information on this for you:

http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinf ... -of-calves

I have no personal experience with it, but you can google "joint ill in calves" or "navel ill in calves" and find a lot. Has the vet seen your calf? If not, I would suggest it, especially if you are new to all of this. There may be some other therapy that is recommended or possibly a different antibiotic.

It does not sound like "joint ill" to me. It sounds like that the JOINT itself got infected, possibly by a puncture wound. As a previous poster said, joint ill usually affects more than one joint and usually there will be other symptoms.

Since it is open and draining, letting her off the antibiotics for a little bit might not be a bad idea. However, sometimes sort of surgically debriding the joint (which has implications in itself) healing an infected joint is a losing battle. An x-ray would reveal where in relation to the actual joint the infection is, or, if possibly a foreign body has entered in that area that is preventing healing.

outlaw, by your description of the affected area; i would think the vet or an experienced cowman could drain that and clean it out. it sounds like there is something in it like a thorn or stick but since it's only one joint i agree with raykour. there is certainly hope for the calf with the proper attention, get her to someone knowledgable about cattle and get a "physical" examination. when you get the correct diagnosis and are able to direct the proper attention to it, the recovery period should be a short one before you see progress. i don't know the circumstances, but from what you have told us i don't think you would be throwing good money after bad at this point. one calf out of her will pay alot of vet bills, good luck to you......

Have to agree it does not sound like "joint ill". I would also think that visit from the vet would be the way to go. Get the infected area cleaned out and irrigated. For the loss of motion I would be exercising that limb daily. Sounds like there is definaately hope for her but I think you need more aggressive action.

Thank you for all your advice. Polka is not doing well. I have had the vet out to see her 3x thus far and she is just coming 8 weeks old. X-rays are not recommended by the vet at this time by my vet because unfortunately the calf came from an auction and is a grade calf, her value (I paid $80) vs. cost is not cost effective. Most recently the vet has recommended we put her down for quality of life. The vet is the person who diagnosed Polka with joint ill. She does have a swollen area on the right ankle too. This area was pus filled as well when the vet aspirated it, but it has never opened up and the vet did not want to open and have both areas draining at once. Oh, also at this point, the wound on the left knee continues to drain, but has returned to near normal size, however it is contracted and she is now unable to stand due to her weight and a problem putting weight on the left hip. She is now about 130 pounds. The poor baby is just a wreck. Thank you all again for your thoughts and advice.

Persaonlly I would go with the vets latest recommendation. Sucks, but sometimes it's the only and the right thing to do.

I agree, it sounds like you've exhausted all possibilities for a positive outcome. Hope you'll give it a try with another calf at another time because you sound like a caring person.

I agree, it sounds like you have done about all you can. I too hope you get another calf. It will help you move on. Good luck !!!!

Latest posts