Johnson Grass in Bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Thought I would ask here to see if any of y'all had an answer to my question. Two years ago I decided to put 20 acres in Bermuda. We sprigged it in and are using a local hybrid variety (Vaughn's). The field is filling in nicely and I religiously keep it fertilized and sprayed... the problem I am having now is the dang Johnson Grass! Is there anything that I can do to eliminate the Johnson Grass at this stage (everything green and growing) without hurting the Bermuda? I do plan on calling our local field adviser, but thought I would check in here as well.

Thanks!

I got rid of my Johnson grass by keeping it grazed and not letting it go to seed. Got to be careful as to when you graze it as it can be poisonous if stressed.

Gus, I agree with you but this field does not get grazed... strictly for making hay. I sprayed it hard when the Bermuda was still dormat and everything else was starting to green... sprayed it again with 2-4D to catch all of the lingering broadleaf. The field is clean with the exception of Johnson Grass which is just now starting to show itself in spots (probably around 8-10" tall right now).

Gunner":2jo0j7wk said:
Weed wiper run above the bermuda after the johnson grass gets taller than the bermuda.

+1 also hit it from both directions. It want get it all, but it will get a bunch.

I made a weed wiper for a 4 wheeler once, but don't have it any more. Might Google that as a fix.

I would think its too soon for Johnsongrass to be up yet. At least I haven't seen any here yet and I have a good bit.

I have also heard it makes great hay if you mow it before it heads out.

Dupont has a new herbicide for bermudagrass pastures, Pastora, that controls many broadleaf and grassy weeds. Among the many grassy weeds controlled are grassbur and johnsongrass. It's the herbicide recommended by Texas A&M for Johnson Grass control.

MarkM":1r6wjguy said:
Why would you not want itthour hay?
I agree with you mark. Johnson grass is really great feed. i often buy first cutting bermuda hay thats full of johnson grass and rye grass. At a very low price. Like grazing is good at controlling it, it is also somewhat effective to simply cut it and bale it before it makes seed. Now with that being said i completely understand a man with a fine field of bermuda grass taking pride in keeping it clean. And of course if he is selling hay the johnson grass will devalue the hay by about 50 percent

I have used Pastora for control of Johnson grass and it works very well. As stated it will also kill grass burrs. It will also kill rye grass. It's a little pricey(like everything else). It is possible that it will yellow some of the Bermuda tops but they will come back fine.

How high is your Bermuda? The reason i ask is that Johnson grass hates to be mowed. Clip it a few times and it won't come back. Read that on here a while back, tried it and it worked.

If johnson grass is all you're trying to eliminate there is a product called Outrider for bermuda made by Monsanto. The johnson grass needs to be at least 18 inches tall when sprayed.

I have always heard the best time to get the best kill on Johnson Grass is late fall.
You probably would wick it with Round up.

Thanks for all of the information... I am going to be looking at Pastora to do the job. For those of you wondering why I want to eliminate the Johnson Grass (yes I know it has value if you cut it early enough), I plan to square bale this field and have it sold to horse hay buyers. We do take a pretty good hit on the price if there is much of anything but Bermuda in the bales.

I was talking to the farm store operator last weekend about Pastora. He said it would kill my grass burs but I would lose a cutting of hay from burning the bermuda. I asked another man that was running 2200 acres of coastal. He said they tried it on a patch and it definitely cost them a hay cutting before the bermuda came back. It might depend on the application rate. I don't know. He also said that there is a label on round-up for killing grass burs in bermuda grass. I would think it would work on Johnson grass too.

You know, I have a 50 acre hayfield that is a mix of bermuda and Johnson grass. I bale it 3 times a year. I would not get NEAR the production off that field if I didn't have the Johnson grass. The bermuda is only going to grow so tall. The Johnson grass typically keeps growing above the bermuda after it heads out. My cows eat the mix hay like candy.

I do try to make sure that I bale the field before the Johnson grass heads and before it gets real "stalky." If you do that, it gives some great feeding.....

Latest posts