Johnson Grass Growth...

Help Support CattleToday:

joeu235

Reaction score
Johnson grass is difficult to graze because the cows love it so much. Grazing is actually the cheapest way I found to remove it from our horse hay fields. Send the herd out on the hay pasture for a couple days and the Johnson grass disappears and the cows haven't touched the coastal bermuda.

I have a field of abandoned crop land that a bale the johnson grass for hay. With a good application of fertilizer, it yields a lot of cow hay. Any prussic acid will leave the hay after a couple weeks. But still got to worry about nitrate poising if there was an application of fertilizer and limited rain.

Around here the only places there is JG is in hay feilds because in pastures the cows will keep it ate down till it will die out.

Prussic acid is a concern. I actually like johnson grass. I have my fair share everywhere. I have noticed I have some in my yard. The yard gets mowed once a week. The fescue grows a couple of inches, and the johnson grass grows 10.

Fertilizer and drought conditions or a frost may cause problems. Other than that it's good graze as long as it lives. Like others have said, cattle will graze it short and kill it.

It's my understanding that prussic acid is only a problem when it's stressed, such as in dry weather or after a light frost. And it will dissipate within a couple of days after being cut, so it's okay for hay.

I'd be reluctant to try grazing it on a regular basis, since if cattle are left on it they'll graze it down to nothing, and I'd be afraid to try rotating them off because of the prussic acid issue.

Latest posts