Johnnes disease in cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

If anyone here has ever done that, I am thinking that it would probably be ollie. Maybe he will be here soon to help you out. You can trust whatever he tells you. He's the real deal.

unclefuzzy":mtgt8ofg said:
Has anyone treated Johnnes disease in cattle with garlic ?

From the little I have heard about Johnnes, I wouldn't want them around my place long enough to treat with anything. This disease scares me to death!

what do you do with garlic? plug up their Ahole? seriously i'd like to know what garlic is supposed to do.

I totally agree with Mike C - there is no known treatment. Scares me also, that's why I test.
Big dairies around here are testing & identifying the cows with it, but they are keeping them milking - just not using their colostrom for anything & using better cleanliness methods to avoid the spread to the young stock. They've got it, can't eliminate it overnight, so they deal with it.
Generally speaking, only young (mainly newborns) calves can acquire it. Researchers don't think adult cattle can become infected for the first time. Thing is, it RARELY shows up until they are milking 2 year olds. First stress of calving will trigger the diarhear - but they may have been shedding it all along.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2b5o8m93 said:
I totally agree with Mike C - there is no known treatment. Scares me also, that's why I test.
Big dairies around here are testing & identifying the cows with it, but they are keeping them milking - just not using their colostrom for anything & using better cleanliness methods to avoid the spread to the young stock. They've got it, can't eliminate it overnight, so they deal with it.
Generally speaking, only young (mainly newborns) calves can acquire it. Researchers don't think adult cattle can become infected for the first time. Thing is, it RARELY shows up until they are milking 2 year olds. First stress of calving will trigger the diarhear - but they may have been shedding it all along.

I recently went to a seminar at Auburn Univ. on the subject of Johnnes back in the fall. What the doctors told us is the test is only 50% accurate, the incubation period is approx. 5 years, and you may have spread it throughout the whole herd by the time a positive shows up. Is spread through manure, saliva and urine and someone wants garlic?

MikeC":2rkz041a said:
What the doctors told us is the test is only 50% accurate, the incubation period is approx. 5 years, and you may have spread it throughout the whole herd by the time a positive shows up. Is spread through manure, saliva and urine and someone wants garlic?
I have been using a better test. The gold standard johnes test. It is called the imunonion and is interperted by the university of Vidalia.

From everything I have been reading maybe it's possible my cow has B V D . Still no good news ! Probably cull her and her calf Monday.

So you will ship her to the sale barn - along with the calf?

And help spread the problem?

Tell me it ain't so!

Bez

___________________________From an old Beef Mag

Battling BVD

By Clint Peck Senior Editor

Nov 1, 2004 12:00 PM

It should be no secret that in cow country bovine viral diarrhea (BVD) reduces productivity and increases death loss in all types and classes of cattle. But, controlling BVD is no small task.

In an effort to get a handle on BVD, the state of Colorado and Colorado State University have initiated a long-term campaign to control BVD. Jim Kennedy, DVM, director of Colorado's Rocky Ford Veterinary Diagnostic Lab, says the Colorado Voluntary BVD Program is a multi-level effort (see sidebar on page 38) designed to:

Improve reproductive performance in the state's cattle herds.

Improve pre-weaning calf performance.

Lower calf treatment costs and death loss.

Provide more marketable cattle.

"Clinical signs of BVD have obvious impacts on infected animals," Kennedy says. "But, more devastating are those animals that don't live up to potential through lower weight gains, increased disease susceptibility and diminished reproductive performance."

Kennedy credits the Academy of Veterinary Consultants and the American Association of Bovine Practitioners for their aggressive programs and protocols to address BVD. Key to these programs' success is the combination of testing, vaccination and biosecurity.

"Vaccinations are an integral part of any control or eradication program," Kennedy emphasizes. "But, both groups recognize vaccination alone won't control the disease."

(added emphasis is mine - I did not know this!)

The major source of BVD infection is persistently infected (PI) animals. PIs result from cows being exposed to the virus during pregnancy and the fetal calf becoming infected. Although these calves often show no signs of illness, they can shed the virus in such numbers that even well-vaccinated animals are at risk.

Bez, That's one of the reasons I stay away from auction barns. A persistently infected BVD (PI) replacement calf bought at the sale barn put a neighor out of business a few years ago. You would have never known the calf he bought was infected!

It's "Buyer Beware" at the stockyard.

MikeC

Many might not believe this - but - I have never had a case on this place and Lord please let it never happen.

If it does and I know it - they die - morally I cannot allow myself the "pleasure" of hurting another person in the business for the few bucks I might bring in - and those who know me know I need the bucks!

Cheers

Bez

Bez":bu6n8n6p said:
MikeC

Many might not believe this - but - I have never had a case on this place and Lord please let it never happen.

If it does and I know it - they die - morally I cannot allow myself the "pleasure" of hurting another person in the business for the few bucks I might bring in - and those who know me know I need the bucks!

Cheers

Bez

We haven't had a case either.

I guess you would eat them and not just put them in the ground.

Wewild":a4qdosxz said:
Bez":a4qdosxz said:
MikeC

Cheers

Bez

After watching the necropsy of a BVD PI you wouldn't catch me eating one! Mouth, esophagus, everything was "ONE BIG BLISTER". Might not kill you though, just the thought!

MikeC":1lgrfrxn said:
Wewild":1lgrfrxn said:
Bez":1lgrfrxn said:
MikeC

Cheers

Bez

After watching the necropsy of a BVD PI you wouldn't catch me eating one! Mouth, esophagus, everything was "ONE BIG BLISTER". Might not kill you though, just the thought!

How many go in to the food chain every day? I hope it aint like BSE.

Wewild

Do not know about the food chain, but I am not eating one - it goes in the ground.

Bez

Bez":3fneyqgs said:
Wewild

Do not know about the food chain, but I am not eating one - it goes in the ground.

Bez

That is your choice. I understand that it is very contagious. Sounds like you might bury a few.

You may even find you bury most of them.

Bez,

I think this from Canada.

Selling cattle from your herd:

There are no regulations to stop producers from selling cattle during an outbreak of BVD. To prevent the spread of BVD to other farms, we recommend that no cattle or calves should be sold other than to slaughter until at least 3 weeks after the last animal is seen to be sick. You may wish to advise prospective purchasers that an outbreak of BVD has occurred. We also recommend that if you sell heifers or cows that were pregnant during the outbreak, advise the buyer to test the calves when they are born to see if they are BVD carriers. If a calf is a carrier, it should be slaughtered

See link
http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/liv ... do%20after

Yup - from the Ontario gov site - ugh - thank goodness I do not have to face that issue - hopefully I will never - could not imagine eating one of them things.

Helps to have a closed herd - and while vaccinations do not always prevent, it helps that we keep them up.

Slaughter of sick animals - despite whatever rulings just runs against the grain - all of ours go out the door to private individuals - what a way to ruin a business.

Bez

Bez":332ei53z said:
Helps to have a closed herd - and while vaccinations do not always prevent, it helps that we keep them up.
Bez

We like a closed herd too.

Latest posts