"Jogeephus had some problems with salmonella."

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark

Reaction score
Hellooooooo.

Mr/Ms Jogeephus. You online? Would you elaborate on this for me/us? Came off the Chicken Litter question of a couple of days ago.

Thanks.

Texasmark":1t4zt9oy said:
Hellooooooo.

Mr/Ms Jogeephus. You online? Would you elaborate on this for me/us? Came off the Chicken Litter question of a couple of days ago.

Thanks.

Gender:Male. Occupation:Farmer. Hobby: Wine Maker and Master Chef. He is a master wine maker - I can personally attest to that.

Jogeephus":2sq9jjay said:
Just had a strange incident at work due to the use of chicken litter. Chicken litter was spread on some fields near where I had a crew working and over half the crew contracted Salmonella. One of the guys was hospitalized and another may have to be admitted as well. Its a pretty bad deal and these guys are as sick as dogs. Thing is we weren't even working in the fields where the litter was spread and the best I can figure is the field was dry and the trucks coming in the field threw up dust which contained the salmonella spores and this was ingested through breathing the dust. Never heard of this happening but I thought it worth mentioning to those who use chicken litter.

Jogeephus":2sq9jjay said:
It is good fertilizer and has a lot of micros in it and the price is sometimes right. Other than the stench, I've never known of anyone having trouble with it and I don't plan on not using it but this gave me something to consider when I do use it. I think this problem was the result of how dry its been and the the dust. I think it was the dust because everyone who wasn't in an enclosed cab got real sick and only one who was in a cab got a little sick. A perfect storm type thing.

Thanks, they are doing better and should be working Monday. The symptoms were diarrhea and nausea but this didn't happen till the morning after the first day of working beside the spread litter so it must have taken about a day for it to get the best of them but that morning they started dropping like flies. Projectile vomiting and the scours along with a high fever. The oldest guy got it the worse and had to go to the hospital. Another guy was considering it but I told him to drink castor oil with orange juice and baking soda and he ended up kicking it. A third guy just got the squirts and felt bad and another just felt bad - of course this could have been opportunistic sympathy pains.

I've put it on pastures with know problem but I've always kept the cattle off it till its rained in good and the stench subsides but that's good to know. I'd hate to lose any calves due to chicken litter and surely don't want to have to doctor any unnecessarily. Heck, its gotten so litter isn't that cheap anymore with more people using it.

Bright Raven":3jrojtxs said:
Texasmark":3jrojtxs said:
Hellooooooo.

Thanks.

Gender:Male. Occupation:Farmer. Hobby: Wine Maker and Master Chef. He is a master wine maker - I can personally attest to that.

Thanks for your input.

JMJ Farms":xgjj83sd said:
Jogeephus":xgjj83sd said:
Just had a strange incident at work due to the use of chicken litter. Chicken litter was spread on some fields near where I had a crew working and over half the crew contracted Salmonella. One of the guys was hospitalized and another may have to be admitted as well. Its a pretty bad deal and these guys are as sick as dogs. Thing is we weren't even working in the fields where the litter was spread and the best I can figure is the field was dry and the trucks coming in the field threw up dust which contained the salmonella spores and this was ingested through breathing the dust. Never heard of this happening but I thought it worth mentioning to those who use chicken litter.

Jogeephus":xgjj83sd said:
It is good fertilizer and has a lot of micros in it and the price is sometimes right. Other than the stench, I've never known of anyone having trouble with it and I don't plan on not using it but this gave me something to consider when I do use it. I think this problem was the result of how dry its been and the the dust. I think it was the dust because everyone who wasn't in an enclosed cab got real sick and only one who was in a cab got a little sick. A perfect storm type thing.

Thanks, they are doing better and should be working Monday. The symptoms were diarrhea and nausea but this didn't happen till the morning after the first day of working beside the spread litter so it must have taken about a day for it to get the best of them but that morning they started dropping like flies. Projectile vomiting and the scours along with a high fever. The oldest guy got it the worse and had to go to the hospital. Another guy was considering it but I told him to drink castor oil with orange juice and baking soda and he ended up kicking it. A third guy just got the squirts and felt bad and another just felt bad - of course this could have been opportunistic sympathy pains.

I've put it on pastures with know problem but I've always kept the cattle off it till its rained in good and the stench subsides but that's good to know. I'd hate to lose any calves due to chicken litter and surely don't want to have to doctor any unnecessarily. Heck, its gotten so litter isn't that cheap anymore with more people using it.

That's what I was looking for. Thank you sir for your input. I'll take precautions to avoid the dust as there will be some.

Sorry Texmark I just saw your thread. Busy time of the year for me. Thanks JMJFarms and Raven for taking up my slack.

Yeah, this was a freak deal. We use a lot of litter in my area and this is a first. Just thought it worth mentioning. I wouldn't NOT use it but I would practice common sense when using it because it is afterall, shyt.

greybeard":1kadabge said:
Do salmon get salmonella?

I'd guess it depends on if they are free-range or not.

Other night on the news they were saying people who were eating raw turkey were getting salmonella and they warned against it. I'm curious to know who these people are.

Jogeephus":ynk41l4p said:
greybeard":ynk41l4p said:
Do salmon get salmonella?

I'd guess it depends on if they are free-range or not.

Other night on the news they were saying people who were eating raw turkey were getting salmonella and they warned against it. I'm curious to know who these people are.

I saw this as well. Also saw where some were getting it from Swiss rolls and bread. I don't know if it is salmonella, symptoms match, but I've had something for the last three days and I will be glad when it's gone.

People that eat salad from McDonalds also getting sick, but due to a different critter than salmonella..
I don't like to hear about anyone getting sick but ya know, you eat at McDonalds, especially a salad, well, ....punishment fits the offense?

Latest posts