Jet "A" fuel in tractors?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
I just had a friend call and gave me about 500 gallons of Jet fuel. He said they run it in all the diesels around the airports in the country.

Has anybody ever used it in a diesel?

MikeC":2thcox10 said:
I just had a friend call and gave me about 500 gallons of Jet fuel. He said they run it in all the diesels around the airports in the country.

I have burned millions of dollars of the stuff - in fighters.

Kerosene based.

No clue on what it does to machinery.

Bez!

Bez!":2xh6qfbl said:
MikeC":2xh6qfbl said:

Kerosene based.

Bez!

Just did a little research and it seems to be a little drier than No.2 diesel but about the same as No.1.

Maybe my JD will run like a "Fighter" now! :lol: :lol:

I ran some grain alcohol once in an old pickup. After cleaning the fuel filter 50 times it ran like a champ.

MikeC":3bnodbqg said:
Bez!":3bnodbqg said:
MikeC":3bnodbqg said:

Kerosene based.

Bez!

Just did a little research and it seems to be a little drier than No.2 diesel but about the same as No.1.

Maybe my JD will run like a "Fighter" now! :lol: :lol:

Not quite Mike you can run it, does have a lot lower flash and can cause excessive knocking and injector wear with out the proper additives it also has less lubricicity as well. Your mileage will be worse. If I was going to use it I would cut it with diesel IMO for what it is worth. Military jet fuel is JP8 .

Speaking of fuel...... I read somewhere that this is the time of year the refineries take turns shutting down for maintenance and that fuel prices will go up accordingly.Might be a good time to fill up your bulk storage tanks before it goes up again.Also, if ol' GW decides to hit Iran....you can bet that crude will hit $150 a barrel! ;-) :cboy: :( :shock:

Mike, like Camp said it's to dry to run by itself I'd use it as an extender. The most I ever used was 5-6 gals per tank(130 gals) to keep from gellin up in the winter.

20 years in the Navy as a mechanic on Aviation support equipment.

We fueled our tow tractors and equipment (cummins, detroit, perkins, cat engines) off the same fuel truck that fueled the planes :).

JP-5 is what we used mostly but never had any trouble with premature engine wear because of it.

So yea...you can run "jet" fuel in your equipment.....just make sure its not some sort of alcohol blend used in some of the older gasoline powered planes.

Saltydawg I always heard this refered to as JP-8 at the loading rack. Is this just a difference in terms or are JP-5 and 8 different?

Mike,

We used some old Jet fuel in our tractor with no ill results here.

Dad had a friend who had to get rid of some, as it was out-dated for aircraft use, so we ended up with quite a few barrels of it for nada. Perfect, as it was during the first BSE year and money was sure tight so we were happy to save a few bucks.

Heck, we even used some of it in the old oil furnace for the house one winter...kept us warm and again the cost was right.

Take care.

dj":qjp6apot said:
Saltydawg I always heard this refered to as JP-8 at the loading rack. Is this just a difference in terms or are JP-5 and 8 different?

They are different....but not enough to matter in most cases.

Air Force is primary user of jp-8 and Navy uses jp-5. Main difference between the two is the flashpoint...jp-5 requires a higher flashpoint to ignite.

The Navy uses the jp-5 because of our aircraft carriers.....fires at sea are a bad bad thing so anything to help reduce this possibility is a bonus.

They are interchangeable with regards to most applications.

Saltydawg":2qztyrup said:
dj":2qztyrup said:

Air Force is primary user of jp-8 and Navy uses jp-5. Main difference between the two is the flashpoint...jp-5 requires a higher flashpoint to ignite.

The Navy uses the jp-5 because of our aircraft carriers.....fires at sea are a bad bad thing so anything to help reduce this possibility is a bonus.

They are not the same as they have different flash and freeze points and different additives are used for diesel engines(military) I have been making jet fuel for over 30 years as well as diesel.
Also don't get caught burning it as it has over 3000 parts per million sulphur you are breaking federal emission laws. Plus no tax has been paid on it either which opens another can of worms. Best thing to do is shut up on this.

Campground Cattle":1vlshjg7 said:
Saltydawg":1vlshjg7 said:
dj":1vlshjg7 said:

They are not the same as they have different flash and freeze points and different additives are used for diesel engines(military) I have been making jet fuel for over 30 years as well as diesel.
Also don't get caught burning it as it has over 3000 parts per million sulphur you are breaking federal emission laws. Plus no tax has been paid on it either which opens another can of worms. Best thing to do is shut up on this.

I said they were different.....but not enough to matter if all you're worried about is whether it will run in your diesel and hurt anything......those fuels won't hurt anything.

If you wanna whip out the rule book and try to find all the ways they are different I suppose thats fine.

The fuels will interchange from a purely "will it work good" standpoint.
They may not interchange from a "is it legal" standpoint.

Thanks for the replies folks!

I think I will just use it with some diesel in my tractors at a rate of 1 gallon to 5 gallons of diesel.

Latest posts