Jersey Bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

HighTimeRodeo

Reaction score
Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been on a lot lately, my previous hard drive decided to pull a Wicked Witch of the West and melt. :)

Anyway, we got a bull calf for meat. We were supposed to get two, but the guy turned out to be a (word not allowed by moderators) and sold one out from under us for more money, saying 'it died from heatstroke'. It was hot around here, but not that hot.

Anyway, he's on a bottle right now and we're working on getting him some buddies. Anyway, another (better) gentleman pointed out this guy is not very good, told us to give the new calf 1cc of penicilin for three days to keep him from getting pnemounia (it's been wet and rainy lately) and after opening the airhole on a nipple for the bottle, an old horse blanket to keep him warm, he's doing good and making good cowpies.

On a quick side note, this is after a long history of deacon calves from auction. :roll:

Anyway, the other gentleman told us according to the eartag and hepatitus test/tag thingy, he's purebred and might be registrable.

From all I've heard, Jersey bulls are mean and hard to handle. We're going to raise this one with lots of handling and buddies, not seperated. Is there any good stories of Jersey bulls?

HighTimeRodeo":1up5r9bu said:
We're going to raise this one with lots of handling and buddies, not seperated.

While I don't have any direct experience, most people I've heard talk about it will say that this is the problem. They don't learn to respect you and for lack of a better phrase "get to comfortable" with you.

I guess my question would be why are you wanting to raise him as a bull? If you bought him for beef I think you should stick to that. Most dairys AI to breed leading Jersey bulls from an AI Company, and based on the way you have described the breeder you got him from, I'd question his genetics any way. I would say stick to your original plan.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention this, but the second gentleman we talked too gets his calves from an actual breeder and the first man tried (repeatedly) to get calves from him.

Cut him. If he was worth registering(which he can't be because you don't have any sire or dam id or production records) you wouldn't be buying him as a drop calf. Jerseys are an extremely progressive breed so anything and everything that isn't an honest to God up and comer is just junk.

Well, the registering part would be a bonus, but we'd keep him for breeding (maybe a generation or two, depending on his personality), since it's darned difficult to find calves around here. The second gentleman had a person from Wisconsion call to ask about calves.

I have an extra question, does anyone know how to read eartags?

The back of this fellow's eartag says '3-3-12' and we're assuming that's the day he was born.

HighTimeRodeo":nvex1417 said:
Well, the registering part would be a bonus, but we'd keep him for breeding (maybe a generation or two, depending on his personality), since it's darned difficult to find calves around here. The second gentleman had a person from Wisconsion call to ask about calves.

I have an extra question, does anyone know how to read eartags?

The back of this fellow's eartag says '3-3-12' and we're assuming that's the day he was born.

HT Rodeo-

I would like to make a suggestion to you in regard to your Beef Cattle Education agenda. Delve deeply into the Internet to increase your knowledge of Breeding and Management of Beef Cattle! You are sadly lacking in the details of breeding and raising beef cattle to even think about wasting your time with this "Jersey" male animal. If you want to experiment with breeding cattle for beef purposes, acquire BEEF cattle genetics and learn proper technics instead of wasting time and money and being disappointed with the results.

DOC HARRIS

I have raised several Jersey bottle calves over the years and have bought several to help keep the nurse cow miled down proper. I had one only one turn out to be a "keeper" from a breeding standpoint (phentotypically). I leased him out to some dairy farms that were breeding Holstein heifers and wanted calving ease and the ptential to keep some of the female offspring.

Jersey bull calves are allot of fun when they are young and playfull. They attach themselves to you easily and act like pets.....................until...........they get about 2 years old and then their whole demeanor changes. They become overnight monsters. They should ride them in rodeos but I don't think the cowboys want to deal with a ticked off Jersey bull. There is no quit in them when they are mad. Mine learned that accessing females was worth going through 5 strands of hot barbed wire. It didn't phase him at all like he felt no pain and the wire was just a nuisance. I got him loaded and off to the sale he went.

They do make great watch dogs for the pasture though.....tresspassers will only do it once :cowboy:

Doc-

I've read the excellent Heather Smith Thomas book Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle and I would dearly love to get beef calves and start that way. But you can't find them around here. There are dairies galore, but no beef calves. Maybe an auction, but we've had very little luck with those. And beef is beef. Sure, it's higher quality when it comes from beef breeds, but we're looking for beef to get us through until we can find good beef cattle.

Also, since I raise pigs as well, I know the dangers of in-breeding. Don't want any two headed cows. ;) And this one should be a little better quality, since it has an RFID tag. Or did I miss something and 'junk' cattle are supposed to have those to? ;P

Honestly, I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone and/or anything and I'm well aware of the Jersey bull's reputations (I wanted them banded as soon as possible), but sometimes you just have to take a chance.

Yes they do indeed put RFID tags in "junk" animals. The RFID tag is soley for the purpose of trace-back, to identify the farm/ranch in which the animal originated, DOB etc.

Where I used to work, ALL the animals had RFID tags, and the majority of the offspring were sent to slaughter, afterall, that is what they were producing----beef.

Perhaps you could find a heifer or 2 to get started with and AI them to beef bulls. Being that you are in dairy country, surely one of those dairy people would be willing to help you out with advice on synchronizing your heifers, point you in the direction of semen dealers like ABS, SelectSires, etc and assist you with getting your heifers bred......to a beef bull.

I echo everyone elses sentiments regarding a Jersey bull.

Katherine

True, and while I can see the hints of orneriness now, could we use him as a bull? I suppose the actual question is how soon is it safe for him (and us) to be used for breeding?

We really can't find many calves around here that don't cost us an arm and a leg. (Much like gas prices.)

HighTimeRodeo":3mzd57ei said:
to be used for breeding?

We really can't find many calves around here that don't cost us an arm and a leg. (Much like gas prices.)

And what would you be breeding him to?? If all you have are bull calves.

If you currently have any females of breeding age, you'll be time and money to the good if you synch them, and AI them now.you'd have calves on the ground a whole lot sooner than you would if you had to wait for that Jersey calf to grow big enough to breed.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Katherine

The enlighten folks around here are looking for grass fed beef. Talked to a supplier at the farmers market and reading between the lines he said. These people read a lot and I just sell them what they want. I talked to him again last Saturday with a friend of mine that has health issues and is trying eat healthier. In the discussion the dairyman said that he sells jersey steers at about two years old and 600#. I was very surprised since I have a 14 month angus steer at the butcher shop now that will hit 1400#. I know they are different breeds but what a difference.
He also said that grass fed had to be cooked different than grain finished. He said the first time his wife cooked grass fed she thought it was spoiled.

lynnmcmahan":1rxdzodp said:
The enlighten folks around here are looking for grass fed beef. Talked to a supplier at the farmers market and reading between the lines he said. These people read a lot and I just sell them what they want. I talked to him again last Saturday with a friend of mine that has health issues and is trying eat healthier. In the discussion the dairyman said that he sells jersey steers at about two years old and 600#. I was very surprised since I have a 14 month angus steer at the butcher shop now that will hit 1400#. I know they are different breeds but what a difference.
He also said that grass fed had to be cooked different than grain finished. He said the first time his wife cooked grass fed she thought it was spoiled.
well i know a jersey dont grow nearly like an angus but if this guy can only get his jersey steer to 600# at 2yrs old then he needs to do something different.

HighTimeRodeo":3fgc4krd said:
True, and while I can see the hints of orneriness now, could we use him as a bull? I suppose the actual question is how soon is it safe for him (and us) to be used for breeding?

He's still on a bottle, but you can see hints of orneriness already? We've only raised one steer that was Jersey. He wasn't mean, but he was quirky as all get out and you had to watch just so he wouldn't run over you. I am not excited about ever having another one on the place. He'll be "safe" to breed when he's old enough--around a year old--if, by "safe" you mean when he could likely sire offspring. But what will you breed him to? Whether or not he will be safe for you to handle as a breeding bull will depend on his temperment/attitude and your handling skills.

I think you'd be wise to take the previous suggestions of experienced cattle people: castrate him, and raise him for the freezer.

If you are in dairy country why not get holstein calves? They flesh much better than Jersey.

As to your current calf you are NUTS to think that since you have read a book your ready to handle the nastiest bull you can find! Make him a steer and raise him for meat. I know first hand as I have raised many that even as steers they can be tough to handle. The biggest mistake you can make is to "play" with a calf.....when he is no longer a cute little calf he'll be 1000+ lbs of ornery with no fear of you who thinks tossing you around is a fun game.

High Time-

In reading the posts on this thread, and your answers, it seems to me that you are making excuses to yourself - and I feel compelled to caution you about not facing the facts that present themselves to you about this Jersey bull-whatever his age might be! There are many, many different actions that you can (and should) take IF you are interested in producing a beef animal, for whatever collection of reasons. Many of them have been suggested here on this thread. Take a deep breath - - think realistically - and do yourself a favor: lose the Jersey and get something that makes sense for you!

DOC HARRIS

High Time Rodeo,
Please take the advise given by the others. Most of those giving advice want to see a newcomer succeed. There are only 2 reasons I can think of for using a Jersey bull for breeding purposes: 1) you are on a dairy and using him as a clean up bull after AI'ing or 2) you need a calving ease bull to be used on heifers that are calving in rough country where they can not be checked everyday.

Castrate your bull, feed him out and enjoy the eating experience.

By the way, there is a reason that day old Jersey bull calves don't cost "an arm and a leg" to use your words.

BC":3jo06p5r said:
High Time Rodeo,
Most of those giving advice want to see a newcomer succeed.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

People who may be new, who come to these boards have a very good advantage....in that they can learn from the experiences we have and the mistakes that we have made and save the "newcomer" time and money and injuries.

Katherine

Latest posts