Jersey Bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

HighTimeRodeo":emxb5naj said:
Second, would a cold rainy day, with temperatures in the forties, with pouring rain and drizzling all day and a freezing wind from the north do it?

It certainly wouldn't help him if he were standing in the above conditions.

If he were in the barn with the heat lamp and blanket, the lousy weather should not have affected him.

The fact that he had diarreha couldn't have helped at all.

Diarrhea can equal death in an already compromised (very skinny) calf even if its consistent 70 degree weather. Diarrhea can be caused by so many things.

Sorry you lost the calf. Never easy to lose one.

Katherine

He was laying down, also covered in hay over the blanket.

As for cause of death, I'm not sure. He got really cold last week, after it had been 70s earlier in the week, so we put him inside, covered him in the blanket and hay.

We think maybe the other two might have hogged the heat lamp. I guess we'll never know.

If he had diarrhea than more than likely he died because of dehydration lack of electrolytes will kill a calf within 1/2 hour in the right conditions

He could have had coccidiosis in which case you might want to talk to your vet about some preventative measures for your new calves.
I have to ask, did you treat him for the diarrhea?

He could have been sick when you bought him, especially if you picked him up at an auction barn.

...I don't know what coccidiosis is.

And we have gave him a little pepto-bismal for the diarrhea. And we picked him from a private seller, but this man was paranoid. Beyond paranoid. Six survelliance cameras, a cabin way, way in the back and no personality whatsoever.

HighTimeRodeo":89liohas said:

And we have gave him a little pepto-bismal for the diarrhea. And we picked him from a private seller, but this man was paranoid. Beyond paranoid. Six survelliance cameras, a cabin way, way in the back and no personality whatsoever.
as far as i know pepto wont do much for a calf.i have had the best luck using spectogard for diarrhea.it says its for pigs but it worked for my calves.i gave thm 20 mil n a syringe and just squirted it down there throat.hold there head up for a while after u giv it to them so they dont spit it out.

HighTimeRodeo":2n840500 said:

Coccidiosis is a protozoa in the intestine, the vet can check a stool sample and tell if he has it.

Pepto -bismal is designed for non-ruminants. I have some doubts that it would work on a ruminant animal in the same way that it works on us since by the time that it gets to where the problem is(if it ever does) it's to late. I would guess that that did more harm than good since it likely kept what nutrition he did get from digesting while the damage was going out the back end... I could be wrong and I'd like to know if I am. I don't have a pepto bismal label in front of me so it's hard to say...

Jersey calves die because today is Monday. That's the whole point of the jersey cow, TONS of nutrition designed to feed a tiny little calf or in most cases a milk machine. In order to feed a jersey calf you have to provide it with fat and protien levels similar to what mommy is capable of, NOT what is in your bag of milk replacer. Take a fifty pound calf living by itself that's getting half the fat and protien that it needs in it's diet and add a cold night and you have a dead calf on your hands.
Fat is ENERGY. Little tiny baby's need that alot worse than big strapping hundred pounders do.

VCC":2wfp3m3n said:
A little story on why I would castrate your calf

Buddy the (dairy) Cattle Dog

Back in the early 80's when they were known as Queensland Heelers we had a litter of pups, we sold all the females but could not sell the single blue male pup we had. Well I had gone to school with a kid, Jake, whose family had a dairy outside of town said he would take him off our hands and see if he worked out, but if he harassed the cows he'd fined himself taking a long knap in the river bed.

Well Buddy had not had his tail docked as a pup and it was quite the tail, he would wave it at the cows as he ducked under the fence after harassing them (he never did make it the river bed, but we'll get to that) Buddy was helping Jake move cows to get preg checked and got himself in a tight corner, he dove under the fence and almost cleared trouble when he came to a sudden stop. One of the big old play toys had stepped on his tail, breaking it at in half, the vet finished it off for him after preg checking the cows. It seemed to take him about a week to find his balance after that.

Well Buddy's favorite game was to run through the pens and grab a cow's tail, swing way up in the air, then let go just before he came to a stop and fly. Jake was pushing cows from the pen to the milk parlor and Buddy was up to his old trick of flying when Jake was suddenly charged by the bull that was in the pen with the cows. The bull had Jake pinned up against the fence and would have likely killed him had it not been for Buddy. Buddy had come from nowhere, first striking the bull full force broadside, and before the bull could blink, Buddy had him by the nose and pulled him away from Jake. Jake was able to scramble away and get out of the alley. Buddy let go of the bull and went to fly some more.

What does this have to do with your Jersey bull; Jake bottle fed this bull, he was his pride and joy, he was the beginning of Jakes Red Holstein herd. Jake had shown him as a Jr. Bull at both the county and state levels, he had spent hours upon hours with this bull, washing, leading, and grooming him. The day the bull attacked him was the first day he showed any aggression; he attacked with no warning what so ever and had intended on killing him.

Castrate your bull, find some beef cows/heifers or even some dairy/beef crosses and AI for beef calves, you will be ahead in the long run. My friend, Jake had been around cattle from his first days on earth, he knew the dangers and how to avoid them, he let his guard down once and it nearly cost him his life.

Good Dog Buddy!!!

When my bottle calf got ill..and I am talking rack of bones, death's door, all sane people would have given up sick..I dosed her with Corrid, BioSponge, and God..Im having a moment..an antibotic my vet gave me, with raised eyebrows and a headshake..She also got IV fluids..I pulled her outta it..

the illness was a combo of coccidilous and me feeding her to much..how much were you feeding this calf?

IMO, Pepto does little..even though it's touted by many vets..made a pink mess of everything..that was it.

cow pollinater":2uuxmwqw said:
Pepto -bismal is designed for non-ruminants. I have some doubts that it would work on a ruminant animal in the same way that it works on us since by the time that it gets to where the problem is(if it ever does) it's to late. I would guess that that did more harm than good since it likely kept what nutrition he did get from digesting while the damage was going out the back end... I could be wrong and I'd like to know if I am. I don't have a pepto bismal label in front of me so it's hard to say...

Jersey calves die because today is Monday. That's the whole point of the jersey cow, TONS of nutrition designed to feed a tiny little calf or in most cases a milk machine. In order to feed a jersey calf you have to provide it with fat and protien levels similar to what mommy is capable of, NOT what is in your bag of milk replacer. Take a fifty pound calf living by itself that's getting half the fat and protien that it needs in it's diet and add a cold night and you have a dead calf on your hands.
Fat is ENERGY. Little tiny baby's need that alot worse than big strapping hundred pounders do.

Pepto works very well for scouring baby goats, not sure about calves though I would think it would be similar.

Also, I've raised jersey calves on milk bought from the shops ... they seemed to go fine. One has just had her first calf

Latest posts