Jersey bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
100_1939.JPG
We are not that familiar with the jersey bull, but we bought him as a calf to put on our cow. As hard as they are to find around here we are considering raising a few jerseys. He is supposed to be out of show stock. He's abt 9 mths old-what do you think?

No offense taken! I like the cows and heifers better! He is just a necessary evil. He used to be kinda cute when we first got him, but I guess he is going through a stage (I hope). Thanks for the other post on the hereford. I am proud of my kids!

haha, thats the thing with jersey's. they are so cute when they're little. i had a bucket calf that weighed 40 pounds when i got him. i begged my dad for him. he was just the cutest little thing. but now he's up to 400 pounds and the ugliest one in the lot! i think its their heads.

you have awsome kids. dont let anybody on here tell you diferently. and it sounds like you have good friends too.

showmomof2":1us42yq8 said:
No offense taken! I like the cows and heifers better! He is just a necessary evil. He used to be kinda cute when we first got him, but I guess he is going through a stage (I hope). Thanks for the other post on the hereford. I am proud of my kids!

Through a stage?

Nope - that is his nature - cut him or stay clear of him.

Bez>

Bez-As long as he behaves himself, we'll keep him. We want to breed our jersey cow and my mother in laws jersey cow to him-hopefully get some heifers from them. We would like to keep some nurse cows around. Around here it is so hard to find a jersey cow-hopefully we can find a little niche in the market and make a little extra. Believe me-if he starts getting extra agressive, to the sale barn or in the freezer he goes. I have no intention of letting my kids around him-we are going into this with our eyes wide open! Just the best way for us to get some heifers (I hope) Thanks.

Jerseys are one of the most aggressive bulls. People think they are nice because they are little, not true. We have used Jersey gomer bulls for years and I never trust them ever.

Here is a link with some info about Jersey cattle:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/jersey/index.htm

My grandfather had a registered Jersey dairy during the 1920's - 30's. He had one bull that killed a man. It took 2 men to handle him. He had a ring in his nose. Each man would walk on either side with a stick that had a snap attached to the ring. My husband grew up on a Jersey dairy. My brother-in-law has a Holstein dairy. He does not keep bulls.

I've owned Jersey cows for going on 25 years. My husband breeds our cows AI. We can buy semen and breed our cows from proven quality bulls for less than it costs to keep and maintain a bull for a year. We cut and eat our Jersey bull calves. The meat is tender, fine grained and lean. Dairy cattle meat does not marble.

My husband managed a registered Hereford breeding operation. They had several Jersey spotter bulls. They were scary to work. Talk about a bull that just wanted to fight. Jersey bulls are untrustworthly and dangerous.
That is why you don't see them very often. When the dairies sell their bull calves, people cut them. A Jersey bull at the auction barn will bring way less money per pount than a beef bull.

Your calf is probably a cull. If he were worth keeping entire, you probably would be owning him.

If you plan on using him as a bull, don't make a pet out of him and teach your children to stay out of his pen / pasture. Jerseys reach sexual maturity earlier than beef cattle. Don't be surprised if his attitude changes when his hormones kick in.

What type of cows are you planning on breeding him to?

Thanks for the info, Chippie. We have a registered jersey cow and my mother in law has one also. That's what we are going to use him on. Hopefully we can get a couple more heifers, then sell him and AI from there on. The bull is from a registered herd as are our cows.

Is he registered? If not, why waste your registered cows on him? Breed them AI to a good Jersey bull or breed them to a beef bull, like an Angus and get smooth blacks or a good Brahman bull. Brahman X Jersey crosses are excellent commercial cows and sell for a premium here.

The heifers are desireable as commercial cows and the bull calves (steers) will bring more at market.

Just because he is registered, doesn't mean that he is quality.

Do you milk your cows?

Yes-he is registered out of a local heard. The mama has been shown successfully, too. We bought him when our jersey calved last fall and put him on her along with her 1/2 angus heifer. We are keeping the heifer for a stock cow. We also have some angus/holstein cows. They make pretty good mamas,too.

I used to work on a jersey farm that used bulls to breed heifers.They had a few bulls that got attitudes at 11 months old.They also waited to dehorn until the bulls started to turn,he thought by doing so he could get an extra few months of use.I still got chased out of the freestall of few times.

showmomof2":38vpj5n4 said:
Thanks for the info, Chippie. We have a registered jersey cow and my mother in law has one also. That's what we are going to use him on. Hopefully we can get a couple more heifers, then sell him and AI from there on. The bull is from a registered herd as are our cows.

Why not AI now? Only 2 cows between you? Lot less people have been kill or hurt buy a AI gun than a dairy bull.

Alan

My Dad told me about my grandfather working on a dairy years ago. They had Holsteins. The bull they had got the bloat and grandpa went in and stuck a needle in him. Grandpa just cleared the fence with that bull right behind him.

I have a Jersey heifer that I hand milk. I plan on AI for her next spring. We raise commercial herefords. I would love to get a heifer out of her. She loves to lick my neck while I milk her. I would rather have a Jersey then alot of other breeds out there. No offense to other breed lovers.

He looks like a nice bull. I hope you have good luck with him.

If your thinking about starting a jersey dairy, I'd suggest you'd do with a different breed instead, or atleast go with artificial insemination (sp?). Jersey bulls get really vicious, when my mom was younger she got chased under a fense by a charging jersey bull. A friend of mine's family owns a jersey dairy and the last bull they had lifted a bolted down metal waterer oww the cement and threw it. The next day they loaded it up to get rid of it, they had to use a skidloader to load it, no one would get near it, and it started to attack the skidloader.

Latest posts