JD netwrap balers

Help Support CattleToday:

gabby

Reaction score
I've been hiring a local guy to roll up my hay with a late model JD 467 baler, 4' x 6' bales.

Every time he bales, there are a few bales, about 1 in 20, with ragged wrapping. Usually it's a foot or less of it missing on one edge. Sometimes it's more and the bale has to be torn up and re-baled.

Question - Is JD as good as it gets for netwrap balers? I plan to buy a netwrap baler next year and I don't want to make a mistake.

I've been using a JD467 for 3 years. Bought it new and have been pleased. Get great results with no ragged edges provided that you use the JD coveredge netwrap.

The custom baler you are using is probably using a generic netwrap, not coveredge. I have had to do that in a pinch when coveredge was not available, and if you do not use the correct spacers, it can make some of the bales look really bad.

Can't speak to other brands... haven't used them, but a lot of people around my area are using Krone. I bought JD because they make a pretty good product and the dealership is less than 10 minutes from my farm.

IMO there's good and bad in any color made. Sounds like this particular baler is having a problem and it's not the color that's causing it.

FWIW, if I ever get an extra $35K I'll probably go with red.

Earl Thigpen":jiwz4ypn said:
IMO there's good and bad in any color made. Sounds like this particular baler is having a problem and it's not the color that's causing it.

FWIW, if I ever get an extra $35K I'll probably go with red.

Red??

gabby":gvur43l7 said:
I've been hiring a local guy to roll up my hay with a late model JD 467 baler, 4' x 6' bales.

Every time he bales, there are a few bales, about 1 in 20, with ragged wrapping. Usually it's a foot or less of it missing on one edge. Sometimes it's more and the bale has to be torn up and re-baled.

Question - Is JD as good as it gets for netwrap balers? I plan to buy a netwrap baler next year and I don't want to make a mistake.

Personally, if money was no object, I would buy a J Deere. I have an older 530 JDeere and really like it. I just went from my grass hay field right to cornstalks and baled 105 rolls with very little adjustment while a lot of other folks were having trouble baling cornstalks with different brands of balers-they said the stalks were just too dry. FWIW I seem to have read many times that the net wrap really isn't worth the money.

The guy who bales for us has a New Holland and it makes good baled nice and tight cores have not been around the newer JD balers

TSR":3bgg9yel said:
gabby":3bgg9yel said:

Personally, if money was no object, I would buy a J Deere. I have an older 530 JDeere and really like it. I just went from my grass hay field right to cornstalks and baled 105 rolls with very little adjustment while a lot of other folks were having trouble baling cornstalks with different brands of balers-they said the stalks were just too dry. FWIW I seem to have read many times that the net wrap really isn't worth the money.
==============
TSR,

Did you first cut the standing stalks with a disc mower..or just rake and bale what the harvester dropped?

What style of rake did you use? Some say a wheel rake won't rake stalks.

i got a friend that his father in law just bought a new jd 467 netwrapp baler.an my friend told me that it takes 3 seconds to wrapp the bale.an they have done put 1800 bales through the baler an its new.he said they can wrapp 225 bales with 1 roll of netwrapp.

preston39":3j2p5d7d said:
TSR":3j2p5d7d said:
gabby":3j2p5d7d said:

==============
TSR,

Did you first cut the standing stalks with a disc mower..or just rake and bale what the harvester dropped?

What style of rake did you use? Some say a wheel rake won't rake stalks.

Sorry about taking so long to answer back. Yes, we cut the stalks with a disc mower. We raked them with a bar rake, it won't get them all but it will create a big enough windrow for baling.

bigbull338":3ckyhgko said:
i got a friend that his father in law just bought a new jd 467 netwrapp baler.an my friend told me that it takes 3 seconds to wrapp the bale.an they have done put 1800 bales through the baler an its new.he said they can wrapp 225 bales with 1 roll of netwrapp.

Does he have any trouble with ragged wrapped bales like my baling guy does?

gabby":3qjb0ueq said:
bigbull338":3qjb0ueq said:

Does he have any trouble with ragged wrapped bales like my baling guy does?
no he said it wrapps the bales right.an that they look good when done.

We ran Vermeer balers in the past and are huge fans.... if I ever get back into baling, Vermeer is the only way I would go. They make a much tighter bale when compared to the Deere's

Angus In Texas":sz229tbj said:
We ran Vermeer balers in the past and are huge fans.... if I ever get back into baling, Vermeer is the only way I would go. They make a much tighter bale when compared to the Deere's
i dont know how tight the vermeer makes the bale.but my friend said on the jd bales that he couldnt stick his fingers in the bale unless he put them in the core of the bale.so to me that means the bales are tight.

I'm sure you are able to set the tension to your liking, but I know we baled some for a neighbor one year and then the second cutting we didn't have time to get to him so he used a guy with a Deere and our bales stayed tight while the ones from the Deere slumped to almost 2/3 of their original height and weighed about 20% less.

Angus In Texas":3ph7v56d said:

A Vermeer was one of the baler brands that wouldn't bale the cornstalks. Each to his own but to me there is no cmparison between a Vermeer and J Deere. Although I do feel tht Vermeer has improved their balers in the last few yrs.

We just completed 120 bales of stalks...given to us by a cash cropper in exchange for 5 breedings later this fall.

The Kuhn disc mower laid 'em down.

The..... 8 wheel Vermeer rake......... WILL rake the stalks.
(some have questioned that..and we didn't know)

Our... Vermeer Super I baler.... did it's usual fine job of baleing a tight bale. A friend nearby has a JD which does a fine job also.

TSR":g8hy2l48 said:
Angus In Texas":g8hy2l48 said:

A Vermeer was one of the baler brands that wouldn't bale the cornstalks. Each to his own but to me there is no cmparison between a Vermeer and J Deere. Although I do feel tht Vermeer has improved their balers in the last few yrs.
The vermeer balers do seem to have a more difficult time baling finely chopped cornstalks they do alright if the stalks are left long. But the long coarse stalks make horrible feed. Not really worth baling that way unless you are just after bedding.

Latest posts