What kind of netwrap are you using?

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm

Reaction score
We are using John Deere cover edge netwrap with our 459 JD Baler and it seems to be flimsier than what we used in our Vermeer baler. I am looking for input on what others are using. Picked up a small roll of 51" wide netwrap from our farm co-op and it seems to be okay, definitely cheaper, but doesn't have a cover edge, of course. I am just finding that this JD netwrap tears really easily and it is really expensive. We are doing 2 wraps per bale. Any input is appreciated.

We use the stuff from JD mainly because it's the only place I can be sure I need it when I want it. My only complaint is the color. That green and white blends too well with the bale and it's hard to spot an irregularlity in the wrapping.

TennesseeTuxedo":28hk343f said:
Not to hijack your thread but what are the advantages to net wrapping rolled hay?
When stored outside it doesn;t deteriorate as fan and it's easier to haul snug loads when hauling on the road.

Thank you dun and Sky.

I figured those would be some of the advantages, well, not the faster than twine part.

I put out net wrapped hay for the first time this past winter and found dealing with the wrap after removal to be quite a pain.

The guys doing our baling this year net wrapped everything so I guess I'd better just get used to it.

we have used the stuff from farm stores and we back to deere this year on our 566 the worse things on that bailer is when the hay builds up in side the back gate and tears the wrap as its going on deere around here is .3 cents a foot cheaper to boot

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies.

In response to the advantage of netwrap---the number one biggest advantage for US as balers is that it is faster. Simple math. It takes about a minute longer to twine a bale than it does netwrap. On Friday we rolled 122 bales. If we had been doing twine, we would have gotten home at least 122 minutes later. That is 2 hours. My time spent in the field is worth something. As it were, we got done right at dark and made it to town for a bite to eat and back home to bed.
Price wise netwrap is a lot more expensive. It costs about $1 a roll for net. I don't know exactly how much the twine costs because we dont ever use it! But I would guess about 25cents maybe, per roll.

I use it from co-op it works good exept the last 10 rolls or so i double wrap, it chews it up for some reason at the end of the roll.
I get about 50 rolls for a bundle of twine only have to use it for my dad he doesnt like net at all. Didnt have to buy any twine this year but priced it at $55 so a little over a dollar im sure some out there cheaper. That and all herfordlover said, net is the way to go and i can cut the net off faster than i can the twine.

bse":3m69gyx3 said:
I use it from co-op it works good exept the last 10 rolls or so i double wrap, it chews it up for some reason at the end of the roll.
I get about 50 rolls for a bundle of twine only have to use it for my dad he doesnt like net at all. Didnt have to buy any twine this year but priced it at $55 so a little over a dollar im sure some out there cheaper. That and all herfordlover said, net is the way to go and i can cut the net off faster than i can the twine.

I find the end of the net and unwrap it from the bale. I then wad it up and put it in a bucket I have tied to the loader. Throw it in a barrel and burn it when the barrel gets about half full.

Have a JD 567 and use the Covered Edge wrap I buy from my JD dealer. I set the monitor at from 1.7 to 2.0 depending on the type of hay. The bales are tight and shed water well enough that there is little waste, even into the second year. Most of the wast is at the bottom, where it is easier to wick moisture up from the ground.

If it takes a minute longer to put twine on than net wrap you are putting too much twine on or need a dual twine arm baler. From the moment the buzzer goes off to signal the bale is full to the moment I am starting another bale is 35 seconds. Granted net wrap is probably 10-12 seconds to wrap and get going, and my next baler will do both net and wrap. But when feeding I'm guessing it takes 1-2 minutes to take the net wrap off, whereas bales with sisal twin just get dumped right in the feeder. But if your grinding or processing your hay that isn't an issue either.

LauraleesFarm":ihvwtb8g said:
Hi everyone and thanks for your replies.

In response to the advantage of netwrap---the number one biggest advantage for US as balers is that it is faster. Simple math. It takes about a minute longer to twine a bale than it does netwrap. On Friday we rolled 122 bales. If we had been doing twine, we would have gotten home at least 122 minutes later. That is 2 hours. My time spent in the field is worth something. As it were, we got done right at dark and made it to town for a bite to eat and back home to bed.
Price wise netwrap is a lot more expensive. It costs about $1 a roll for net. I don't know exactly how much the twine costs because we dont ever use it! But I would guess about 25cents maybe, per roll.

Sounds about right. I have a JD 435 and use grass twine and I could never roll more than 70 bales per day.

dun":1qczjkdi said:
My only complaint is the color. That green and white blends too well with the bale and it's hard to spot an irregularlity in the wrapping.

There is an unexpected small advantage...
As the bale ages the green tricks the eye into viewing the bale as slightly better hay quality and I think the green tint occasionally helps bring an extra bid at auctions.

Son of Butch":26iv58fe said:
dun":26iv58fe said:
My only complaint is the color. That green and white blends too well with the bale and it's hard to spot an irregularlity in the wrapping.

There is an unexpected small advantage...
As the bale ages the green tricks the eye into viewing the bale as slightly better hay quality and I think the green tint occasionally helps bring an extra bid at auctions.
Maybe, but I would still prefer a bright color.

I've been using Pritchett net wrap on my Jd 535 for the past 4-5 years because it's cheaper and it's heavier than the ambraco that Jd sells. They come in different colors so you can "color code" your hay from year to year so you can tell how old it is. They also make a cover edge wrap too. Might be worth looking into.

Latest posts